Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i've a quenstion about my clutch.
Bike is 999

I own the bike for several months now, and my clutch is so damnn loud. i searched several sites and youtube.

my setup:
Evr basket 48 tooth
sintered clutch plates 7x 48 tooth
metal plates 10x (2 concentric)
center drum stock
pressure plate stock
Springs stock 40mm (worn limit is 36mm)

Total height of the pakkage is +-36-37mm

Even when i drive in 1 first gear (20mph) then the clutch makes sound (partical load)
If i open the throttle a little bit more the sound is gone.

I tried to put some white grease on the plates (tip here on ducati.ms) but didn't solve my problem.

how the clutch is mounted:
Engine side
1 plate 2mm
2 concentric plate 1.4mm \ /
3 sintered plate 2.8mm
4 plate 1,5mm
5 sintered plate 2.8mm
6 plate 1,5mm
7 sintered plate 2.8mm
8 plate 1.5mm
9 sintered plate 2.8mm
10 plate 1,5mm
11 sintered plate 2.8mm
12 plate 1,5mm
13 sintered plate 2.8mm / \
14 plate 1.5mm
15 sintered plate 2.8mm
16 concentric plate 1.5mm
pressure plate

The is some small play between the basket van the sintered plates but this is less van 0.5mm ,(difficult to measure)

So why is my clutch so loud? do i missing plates? someone advice?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Loud in relation to what? Another bike? What cover do you run. What condition is the basket in? Pics of basket would help. Partial load will be loud (repetitively speaking) as there is only partial load on the plates, same as idle.

·
Registered
778 Posts
The noise gets louder as the clearance between the basket and plates gets larger. Ducati recommends replacement of plates and/or basket at 0.6 mm.

Your setup is going to get louder because all sintered plates are steel, so will hammer the softer aluminum basket to an even greater clearance. Aluminum plates should be used with aluminum baskets to reduce wear.

Steel plates with an aluminum basket is a no-no.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

Yes it is loud comparing to other ducati’s 999’s.

I run a rizoma open clutch cover. I know this will create much more sound, but so loud doesn’t seem to be normal.
This EVR kit is installed in my bike : click
Aluminium basket and stock aluminium drum doesn’t have any signs of wear.

Tonight i will check the clearances again if it's below the 0.6mm.

I will take some pictures tonight with a small movie clip.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As promised a videoand a few pics

Hope someone can help me.

BTW sound in rL is much louder
View My Video

Pics

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
and another one

pushed the plate at the underside to the drum

·
Registered
440 Posts
The noise gets louder as the clearance between the basket and plates gets larger. Ducati recommends replacement of plates and/or basket at 0.6 mm.
I'm pretty sure that 0.6mm is for the standard clutch basket... Not sure how you'd even measure a 48 tooth going by the pics.
"White grease" won't do anything for the clutch noise , it'd be the same greased or not.
If it is actually producing more noise than another 999 running an open cover ,, well you may have to start digging a little deeper. It could be a number of different things that could be contributing to the excess noise.
Couldn't listen to your vid as my iPad won't allow it:frown2:

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I have an stm 48 tooth slipper on my 999 . Sounds exactly the same . Think youve got the normal 48 tooth sound .

·
Registered
122 Posts
Have you tried the Quiet Mod? Push one sintered plate to the back of the pack. Exchange one larger steel plate with a 1.5; and put the convex spring plate in the middle of the pack.
The video sounds as if the clutch pack may be a little loose. Are you slipping above 220 degrees motor? Doing the quiet mod should get you a little quieter by not too much.
I'd say from the video that your clutch racket is normal. My ST4S with quiet mod still gets looks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have the EVR 48t in my Hyper 1100 EVO SP. I would say it's equally loud to yours, but quieter than the original stock Hyper clutch. The stock clutch in my 999 is louder than my EVR.
None, would I call quiet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for replies so far. The clutch isn't slipping.
For the test I ordered a thick 2mm steel plate to reduce the sound a little bit. Lets hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
I don't hear anything out of the ordinary in that video... it should sound something like this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts