Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning,

I took off my fairing due to my recent accident. I found this black lining inside my 2001 900ss and it seemed like there was once padding inside of it, now it is just a limp piece of clothing. Is this just for insulation or what is its purpose, also before I put it back together I rather replace it if its important, can you please direct me to where to buy it from.

Thanks

·
Registered
665 Posts
Straight to the bin...:D

It's only there for soundproofing, same as the one that's fitted underneath the fuel tank.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Good morning,

I took off my fairing due to my recent accident. I found this black lining inside my 2001 900ss and it seemed like there was once padding inside of it, now it is just a limp piece of clothing. Is this just for insulation or what is its purpose, also before I put it back together I rather replace it if its important, can you please direct me to where to buy it from.

Thanks
Mine has also faded over time, it's there for sound and heat proofing.
Sound is not an issue for me but heat proofing to protect the paint work on the fairings is, so, I bought a sheet of aluminized polyester reinforced foam 15mm thick from Practiker (HomeDepot), this foam is denser than the OEM and will not fade over time (I have it inside the fairings for over two years and still looks like new) is used in drywall construction for sound/heat proofing and comes in various thicknesses.
I used the OEM lining as a template to razor cut the same shape.

Hushcloth Aluminized Polyester Faced Foam (AP) for Sound Absorption

Attachments

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Mine has also faded over time, it's there for sound and heat proofing.
Sound is not an issue for me but heat proofing to protect the paint work on the fairings is, so, I bought a sheet of aluminized polyester reinforced foam 15mm thick from Practiker (HomeDepot), this foam is denser than the OEM and will not fade over time (I have it inside the fairings for over two years and still looks like new) is used in drywall construction for sound/heat proofing and comes in various thicknesses.
I used the OEM lining as a template to razor cut the same shape.

Hushcloth Aluminized Polyester Faced Foam (AP) for Sound Absorption
Around a zillion :)rolleyes:) people have removed that insulation from their Supersports and I never heard anything about damaged paint :think:.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Around a zillion :)rolleyes:) people have removed that insulation from their Supersports and I never heard anything about damaged paint :think:.
.....and you're probably right but in the long run I prefer the "better safe than sorry" approach.
Reality is that people choose not to replace them (they WILL deteriorate from heat eventually) mainly because of the cost, the price is about 170$ ......... EACH SIDE!!!
For 20$ that's the cost for the sheet and 20min handwork I have no excuse, they won't hurt anything, unless, of course, half a pound of added weight is a major issue. :rolleyes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts