Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some searching on the forum but did not find anything. If I missed it please send me the link.

When removing all my rockers for re-plating I noticed that two of my closer shims would not slide right off. It was on horizontal intake and exhaust on the right side of the bike. What I did was take a screw driver and slowly worked them off by wiggling the shim from one side and then the other. I then tried putting on a new shim from MBP just to see if it would fit over and it is still tight.

Has anyone else run into this and what was the resolution?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I have seen this but not very often. The top of the valve stem can mushroom slightly. I would take some carborundum paper and see if you can deburr the top of the valve stem. It wont take much to clean it up.

Mike

·
Registered
85 HD, 87 Paso 750, 94 Bimota DB2, 94 GSXR750, 96 GSXR1100, 98 ST2, 00 R1, 01 M900, 02 748, 03 999
3,451 Posts
The top of the valve stem can mushroom slightly. I would take some carborundum paper and see if you can deburr the top of the valve stem. It wont take much to clean it up.
This is the way I took care of the same issue with my ST2, my Paso, and my wife's Monster. In total, I've run across four valves stems like this.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
I have a problem similar to this on the 748. The opener rockers have been taken out, along with the cams. I removed 3 of the 4 valves, 1/2 rings, and closer shims. One of the valves (right exhaust) will move up and down as it should, but the closer shim won't budge. This means I can't remove the 1/2 rings off that valve. Has anyone ran into a situation where the closer shim is stuck and won't move down on the valve to remove the 1/2 rings? Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Make sure the piston is at TDC, pry the closing rocker down from the back and let the valve fall down where it rests on the top of the piston. Then take a jewelers small hammer and slightly tap on the top of the closing shim. It should free it up and drop down. I said a slight tap, dont be heavy handed.
Mike

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Fak man!! All you need is a sanding roll, not a die grinder!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Same thing

I'm doing the valves on my '06 999s, found a few closers that didn't want to move down to let out the half-rings. After getting it apart I found the stuck ones to have been lapped/sanded to a point that none of the chamfer was left, while the ones with the chamfer moved easy~ Just what I saw~

1 - 10 of 10 Posts