Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am attempting a valve adjustment on my 2005 Multistrada and have encountered a difference in the design of the closer shims from the shims on my old 907. The recessed “cup” seems to be much deeper on the new shims. They are marked 3.05 but I have not been able to remove one yet to measure it. The old ones measure approx. 7mm and always slipped right off once I got the closer rocker arm down and half-rings off. The new ones seem to be a very tight fit between the valve stem, half-rings and shim. I have not found any way to apply enough downward pressure on the shim while simultaneously holding the valve up. When I rotate the shim the half-rings float freely around in the grove. It appears the shim must have a grove in it that is trapping the half-rings from the outside as well as grove on the valve stem. I hate to apply too much pressure with hardened tools for fear of slipping and damaging the oil seal or gouging the top of the valve stem. Any solutions???
Ted

·
Vendor
1,584 Posts
With the piston at TDC (Top Dead Center) push down on the closing rocker. You can let the valve move down and rest on the piston. Gently tap on the closer shim and it will release and drop down so you can remove the half rings with a magnet.

You need a closer measurement tool to accurately measure the size of the closer shim. I wouldnt go by the marking on it.

Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Someone sent me a PM suggesting the rope-through-the-sparkplug-hole trick. I think this is the way I should go as the shim seems to really be stuck and I may have to give it a good whack. I'm replacing the belts anyway so taking them off now to move the piston and cam separately makes sense.

Thanks for the replies.
Ted

1 - 4 of 4 Posts