Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, was changing tires last night and decided to clean my air filters (pipe-x) and change my oil while I'm at it, wasn't due for another 500 miles but why not? Bike on the stand, tools handy... So I found a small chrome flake in the pick up screen, now I got to find where it came form, another hour later I found a damaged closer on the horizontal intake valve, other one next to it on the way out, both clearances were too tight and now I'm wondering WTF happened? I did the valves 4300 miles ago, took my time, double and triple checked them because the frame was getting powder coated and the engine was on the bench for two weeks, so I had plenty of time and easy access.

I understand that as valve seat wears or the keeper gets pounded in to place the closer gap will grow and opener gap will shrink, but this is an opposite. I was thinking carbon build up on the valve seats or bent valve can cause it but mine looks good, intakes are clean...

So the question is, did I make a mistake and on two neighboring valves at the same time?? Both intake closers had Zero gap, and that's what damaged them, can't see it in the picture because of the lighting but the other rocker also has nice big groove in the chrome and the cam has a wear marks all the way around the closer lobe, clear evidence of "0" gap

·
Premium Member
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is what happens when I get carried away, less than 4 hours after I wheeled the running bike in to the shop, rear tire is done but the front is off cause I'm gonna change the fork oil now while I'm there. Also might be few days before I get the new gaskets for the valve covers, got to find something to do...

·
Premium Member
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm bringing Tuono to ECM, 748 is up for sale, last buyer was a friend of a friend and I was gonna service the bike for him, but he flaked like that rocker, still I want make sure bike is 100% regardless who end up buying it

·
Premium Member
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only thing I can think of is the rocker material debris on the lobes, but its a long shot as it should be awfully thin.
Try scrub them with a scotch brite swab and see if the clearance widens.

Seems weird though they got sub zero in the first place...
There was no debris on the lobe, and there are drag marks all the way around both closer lobes

Cam bearing feels a bit rough, wonder if that caused the damage? Of if the damage to the bearing a result of tight valve or overtightened belt or did I just miss it the first time

BTW Tom, what do you recommend for valve clearance? I think I asked you before but I got a year with of posts to search through :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts