Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Good on you for doing it yourself, you’ll always learn something. Remember to line up the red dot with the valve stem, BEFORE levering the tire on. It will get your balance that much closer out the gate.
Sorry to disappoint. I just got it done by the local shop. Getting the stands was too much of a wait. But getting them for future anyway. A single sided swing arm stand and the head stand are on their way

·
Registered
129 Posts
Rosso II are more track oriented than the Rosso III. I bought thise and love them so far.
Or you could try the Angel GT's which are even another step towards touring...

Rex

·
Registered
961 Posts
Thanks for the insight. I guess this is what I wanted to get out for the most part. Your argument is spot on. As a noob will the difference between sport and touring matter for me, vs a better rain grip due to me being in the Pacific NW?

In the end I went for Touring option (although it sucks to see the same model on the adventure/sport touring bikes at the shop ;-) ). It will help me master the art of chicken stripping the tires and put in a couple of thousand miles in the first year before I decide to push it a bit harder.

For reference - At this point I am trying to learn the art of downshifting/blipping while braking and leg position while leaning. So still learning the basics and I do not see the point of a sport tire on the bike.
Personally, I think you made a very wise choice. Rosso 2 as a Sport tire have been superseded by Rosso 3. Although I've never tried Road 5's, they are the goto tires in the UK (which is why Pirelli had to design the Angel GT'2s). I am convinced that you have a good base to start with.

Reactions: evolutiontheory

·
Registered
129 Posts
Personally, I think you made a very wise choice. Rosso 2 as a Sport tire have been superseded by Rosso 3. Although I've never tried Road 5's, they are the goto tires in the UK (which is why Pirelli had to design the Angel GT'2s). I am convinced that you have a good base to start with.
Last I looked (This spring) both the II and III were for sale and showing on the Pirelli website as current. I do not think it superceded it. I think they made a model between the II and Angel GT.

So Evolutionary, what DID you buy? i saw you said you had something fitted but not what it was.
The Pirelli Rosso II??

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Weather permitting I might go out on the first ride today. I have done around 50 mi on the new tires on city and highways so they should be broken in :)

·
Registered
863 Posts
Funny, with what I just read I would have bought the Rosso II's
I burned several sets of Rosso 2 and 3 on my SF, and I prefer the 3's.

Handle better on my bike (pointy profile), excellent wet and dry, and last much longer than the 2. I got 2.5-3k miles out of Rosso 2 and get consistently 4k+ from Rosso 3.

·
Registered
54 Posts
For years I ran Michelins on my Guzzi V11 Sport but found the last set of Pilot Roads overrated. I didnt get the expected mileage. I switched to Dunlop Roadsmart 3. They seem to grip better and last longer and are certainly cheaper.

Someone suggested that I run the Dunlops on my Duc 939 Supersport which came with Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3- those grip really well but don't last long. I changed 3 rears in 13k miles. After 300 miles with a rear Roadsmart 3, I think it has the same grip as the Pirelli.

I am doubly impressed by the Dunlops.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Final update:
Thanks to everyone for helping out.
I ended up with Michelin road 5s at 580$ for a full work at the shop. Wet weather grip and longevity were the deciding factor for me. Wanted to stick to Michelin or Pirelli due to them being most common and I figured they would be a good baseline tires for me as I get to know the bike (Monster 1200).

This bike is new to me so I cannot comment on the grip etc.. but one thing I noticed after 700mi is that it follows the grooves/undulations in the road a lot less than the diablo rosso 2s. This makes highway rides a bit more easy especially where you have concrete roads. Not sure if this has to do with the flattened centre of the old tires, but this was the only change I noticed :)

21 - 33 of 33 Posts