Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of the fuel filter in SC's being a potental problem for the spreading/deformation problem with our tanks? It is mentioned that Euro models do not use it, ours do in the US. The clogged filter can create a vacume of sorts. Has anybody removed one and had positive results?

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I'm failing to see how a clogged filter could cause a vacuum. Or what results would be expeted after removing one? As far as I know ALL Ducatis built within the last several years come from the factory with filters inside the tank.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Not sure about vacuum issue or tank deformation causing clogging fuel filter... But I do know if you still have your carbon canister installed and you overfill your tank you can clog your carbon filter causing erratic idle and stalling.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I presume you are really talking about the carbon evaporative canister, rather than a fuel "filter?" After all, the bikes in all countries use a fuel filter.

If so, no, that's not it. Most of us immediately removed our canisters, and the huge majority of bikes having the problem have not had canisters since they were brand new.

·
Registered
483 Posts
and it doesn't explain the one I sat on in a dealership that had spread so far that I could lift the tank off of it.. and it had zero miles and no gas in the tank. It might have had gas in it when it was tested and again when the dealership uncrated it.. but for how long?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Great points. I think I may be hearing about the canister, which is off of my bike. I started a discussion at Ducati Chat here trying to find out what other bikes may have issues with their plastic tanks in the US. Very few seem to have it other than the Sport Classic brotherhood. Other manufacturers have dealt with the issue in various ways, but they have done something to fix it. Not Ducati.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
i've heard of lots of monsters and some multi's having tanks deform. the different shaped tanks deform differently and cause different problems. while all get dimples, waves and bubbles, i think the sport classics are the only ones to lift away from the mounting cups, due to the geometry of the tank.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i've heard of lots of monsters and some multi's having tanks deform. the different shaped tanks deform differently and cause different problems. while all get dimples, waves and bubbles, i think the sport classics are the only ones to lift away from the mounting cups, due to the geometry of the tank.
Yeah, some of the real old timers say that this is a problem as old as plastic tanks on Italian motorcycles, even in days before ethanol fuel additives. Part of that "character" I suppose. Still, I get a huge grin when I ride the bike, which tells you how fun it is. Oh, well. Next Ducati (or other brand) bike will have a metal tank.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I still have the carbon cannister on my bike. Yes, it's ugly, but it's a small thing that really does help with emissions. No tank spreading issues here. I store the bike with a nearly empty tank after each ride (sheer laziness) and wonder if the weight of a full tank contributes to tank spreading.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good questions but it should not be part of the equation of owning a world class motorcycle. I'm sure any external modifications done by the owner could be viewed by Ducati as a warranty issue, eh? In the thread going a "Chat", it seems like a lot more than just Sport Classics are affected by this type of problem. I'm sure there are things we can do as owners to slow the decay in these parts. If there isn't a pressure issue or mechanical problem that may make the problem worse, then Ducati should simply provide all owners with a solution. Again, the Sport Classics are viewed as an important entry and re-entry level motorcycle in their product line, just as a Bonneville is in the Triumph line. It wuld be my thought that a lot of these owners would look to make a second purchase down the road. This kind of thing is marketing suicide.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts