Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've set my dash clock and trip meter several times now and they always reset themselves to midnight/zero when i go for a ride...anyone else experiencing this problem?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Nope..not had that one. It did reset everything when i was fuckin around with the country programming but not on a ride

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,234 Posts
i wonder, this is my brain talking, if there are two states of power. With the bike off, no power to the dash functions that require power. When you turn the ignition key on, power restored, clock and trip are once again cycled up.

First thing I would do is check the dash connectors to make sure they are fully seated / and or / unplug and check that no pins were bents. As a safety, disconnect battery before doing so. I've taken the dash off my late great ST3 with battery connected, but hey, why risk something.

To remove the dash, there are two 10mm nuts on the backside of the unit, lower portion. You get to them by turning the steering to the lock for each side to access. Then lift up on dash as it sits in two grommets with a pair of snaggle tooths. You don't have to remove the nuts, just loosen them. The dash slots into the bracket, very visible from behind the dash you can see the slots in the lower bracket.

If that is not the case (bad connection), then maybe you need to drop it off for repair/replacement. Dashes are not cheap! Hopefully if you do take it in, you can demo the fault... if it is doing it every power cycle of the bike being turned on.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i wonder, this is my brain talking, if there are two states of power. With the bike off, no power to the dash functions that require power. When you turn the ignition key on, power restored, clock and trip are once again cycled up.

First thing I would do is check the dash connectors to make sure they are fully seated / and or / unplug and check that no pins were bents. As a safety, disconnect battery before doing so. I've taken the dash off my late great ST3 with battery connected, but hey, why risk something.

To remove the dash, there are two 10mm nuts on the backside of the unit, lower portion. You get to them by turning the steering to the lock for each side to access. Then lift up on dash as it sits in two grommets with a pair of snaggle tooths. You don't have to remove the nuts, just loosen them. The dash slots into the bracket, very visible from behind the dash you can see the slots in the lower bracket.

If that is not the case (bad connection), then maybe you need to drop it off for repair/replacement. Dashes are not cheap! Hopefully if you do take it in, you can demo the fault... if it is doing it every power cycle of the bike being turned on.
I talked to the mechanic at the dealership yesterday, he told me to bring the bike in...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same issue on a 2002 BMW R1150GS. It turned out to be a fuse was blown, the clock got no power when the bike was switched off. The problem has gone after the blown fuse was replaced.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine was fixed at the 600 mile service, it was a loose connection...

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine was fixed at the 600 mile service, it was a loose connection...
Mine hasn't been fixed, it happened again twice 4 days ago and again yesterday...

The dash actually resets itself, all the warning lights cycle as if the key has just been switched on, then the check engine light comes on with a barely noticeable loss of power, the screen shows "27029 r5", then it's back to normal function except that the trip meter and clock have been reset to zero...it all happens in an instant and it's very annoying...

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,234 Posts
That is not right.
1) bad dash (pins or faulty soldering)
2) bad dash plug
3) bad harness (power comes from where. relay? and ground?)

I would talk to the dealer about that code you said. Is that some sort of software revision# that is supposed to come up in the diagnostic mode?

In any case, cutting power and restoring it like that is not a normal thing, as long as you document it with them and see about them establishing a case under warranty, maybe they will say "ride it till it fails, we got you covered" or "we should replace that", they could at the least inquire with Ducati DNA or Bologna and see if this has happened to other like dashes.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is not right.
2) bad dash plug

I would talk to the dealer about that code you said. Is that some sort of software revision# that is supposed to come up in the diagnostic mode?

In any case, cutting power and restoring it like that is not a normal thing, as long as you document it with them and see about them establishing a case under warranty, maybe they will say "ride it till it fails, we got you covered" or "we should replace that", they could at the least inquire with Ducati DNA or Bologna and see if this has happened to other like dashes.
I provided the dealer with the code when the bike was in for the 600 mile service...they found and fixed a loose connection and never mentioned the significance, or lack there of, of the code.

I took the bike in again this afternoon, and requested they contact the DNA technical rep for our area and make him aware of the problem.

Hopefully they'll fix it for good this time.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I had a Hyper that did this and it was actually the battery terminal breaking and therefore losing it's connection. New battery and it was fixed.

It's going to be a lose connection somewhere and if they found it, I'm sure your bike will be fine now. The error code I think was probably just being thrown due to the bike being a bit confused about losing power, recycling, and already running and whatnot. The Hyper also would throw a code, but worked just fine and the code went away right away.

My 1098R does this when I start it. It's a hard starting pig and if it doesn't hit right away, if resets the dash. Kind of annoying, but it always starts. I fugure it's just the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is not right.
2) bad dash plug

I took my SF to the dealer on Monday.

The service manager called DNA and they instructed him to go through the entire wiring harness, checking each connection along the way.

I just called the service manager and he told me the mechanic finished up earlier today, took it for a test ride and the dash reset 3 times during the ride.

The have a call in to DNA to see what the next move is....and I'm very, very frustrated.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The General Manager of the dealership called me today, he states that they have ordered a new dash unit and assures me that they are doing all they can to get my SF back in my hands...he has a request in to DNA to swap in a dash from one of the two SFs on his showroom floor.

The back and forth with DNA is what's slowing things down, it's like they are on vacation or something.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Sounds painful. Thanks for the updates. Sounds like your dealer is pretty good, at least.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Picked up the SF this morning after 11 days at the dealer...bike has a new instrument module with the accumulated mileage reading approx 1k miles less that the actual...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts