Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I had the SF's ears cropped at the dealership so the spacers on the front turn signals are GONE! Bike looks way better in IMHO. Also put some CNR levers on and some frame and axel sliders today as well. I still need to spray the bulbs silver to get rid of the egg yoke look.

**EDIT- The following instructions are reposted from post #21

Did mine too. Thanks:)

Below are the steps on how to.

Remove the hex screw at the bottom of the headlight

Loosen or remove the L/R nut that are holding the headlight assembly and lift up. You will see two hooks beside the gauge being held by a rubber grommet.

Remove the hex bolt and plastic spacers off the turn signals, replace the bolt with a shorter lenghth, resuse the triangular washer and you're done

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Had not thought of that and just looked at them this a.m. for replacement.

Thanks for the idea..Jack

·
Registered
309 Posts
I've looked at the front turn signals as well...

I had the SF's ears cropped at the dealership so the spacers on the front turn signals are GONE! Bike looks way better in IMHO. Also put some CNR levers on and some frame and axel sliders today as well. I still need to spray the bulbs silver to get rid of the egg yoke look.
It looks like they are one moulded piece. Am I incorrect? I would love to shorten them up, especially after installing the DP tail tidy... Please let me know if I can just unbolt them and remove the spacer!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks like they are one moulded piece. Am I incorrect? I would love to shorten them up, especially after installing the DP tail tidy... Please let me know if I can just unbolt them and remove the spacer!

No there is a large spacer even though it looks one piece!!!!!!!! so save yourself some money and just remove the spacer.

·
Registered
465 Posts
No there is a large spacer even though it looks one piece!!!!!!!! so save yourself some money and just remove the spacer.
Yeah, that was the first mod I made after the rear signals/tail. It looks way better! Your bikes coming along nicely!

How is your bike running with the Termi now? I really want to upgrade my exhaust but I'm afraid to mess with the fueling now that mines running well.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, that was the first mod I made after the rear signals/tail. It looks way better! Your bikes coming along nicely!

How is your bike running with the Termi now? I really want to upgrade my exhaust but I'm afraid to mess with the fueling now that mines running well.
Thanks, I was checking out your list of mods to and I know i have a few more to go! Well the dealer had my bike running just fine with stock pipes so I was like you a little worried about putting on the Termis. I need not have worried as they spent a lot of time getting it just right. So now i have more grunt, much better sound, less weight and the looks are awesome so I am very glad I took the plunge. I do feel for the guys who seem to be struggling to get theirs running right and who have dealers that refuse to do anything about it. So what are you planning for your next mod? Me I am waiting for my CF hugger and I have a clutch slave cylinder on order.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Thanks, I was checking out your list of mods to and I know i have a few more to go! Well the dealer had my bike running just fine with stock pipes so I was like you a little worried about putting on the Termis. I need not have worried as they spent a lot of time getting it just right. So now i have more grunt, much better sound, less weight and the looks are awesome so I am very glad I took the plunge. I do feel for the guys who seem to be struggling to get theirs running right and who have dealers that refuse to do anything about it. So what are you planning for your next mod? Me I am waiting for my CF hugger and I have a clutch slave cylinder on order.
I just got my DP CF Hugger yesterday. Also the DP racing seat. After that its all about the exhaust! I just cant decide which one I want yet. Glad to hear the Termi's work well. I heard it yesterday for the first time and it sounds great! You'll love the slave cylinder (I was going to suggest that to you after looking at your pics), it makes the bike so much more enjoyable to ride.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just got my DP CF Hugger yesterday. Also the DP racing seat. After that its all about the exhaust! I just cant decide which one I want yet. Glad to hear the Termi's work well. I heard it yesterday for the first time and it sounds great! You'll love the slave cylinder (I was going to suggest that to you after looking at your pics), it makes the bike so much more enjoyable to ride.
Lucky you on the CF hugger, they checked the due date for mine on Saturday and its not until the middle of September. So are you thinking of what brand of exhaust or wether or not to go slip ons or full Termi? THe sound is improving as I put the miles on, the only issue I have is a face ache after the ride from smiling so much! Well my friend with the monster did the DP Slave on Saturday and the difference is truly amazing so I am glad I have mine on order. Let me know how the seat works out. I was amazed how "cheap" looking the seat is and mine has wrinkles on it already and I am not that heavy!!!!!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Lucky you on the CF hugger, they checked the due date for mine on Saturday and its not until the middle of September. So are you thinking of what brand of exhaust or wether or not to go slip ons or full Termi? THe sound is improving as I put the miles on, the only issue I have is a face ache after the ride from smiling so much! Well my friend with the monster did the DP Slave on Saturday and the difference is truly amazing so I am glad I have mine on order. Let me know how the seat works out. I was amazed how "cheap" looking the seat is and mine has wrinkles on it already and I am not that heavy!!!!!
Yeah I didn't even order the hugger. I was going to wait for Shift-Tech to get one. I happened to be out of town and stopped into another dealer that had the hugger and seat in stock. I hadn't planned on getting the seat at all but after seeing it, it really looks nice.......and I'm a sucker! I was going to just have the original one covered at an upholstery shop. I actually think the stock seat is quite comfortable but mine also has wrinkles and the color is off, like a light grey. The DP one is nice and black and looks like it belongs on this bike. I'll let you know how it feels after a few miles.

As for the exhaust, I'm totally confused. I like the look of the stock shotgun exhaust. I mean thats part of what makes it what it is, IMO. BUT I cant stand the right side heat shield. I think its ugly (even the carbon one) and it totally gets in the way of my right heel. Its not so bad when just cruising, actually its fine for the street but I am trying to get back into track days with this bike and really bought it because It can do everything. When riding in the canyons (my first track day is next week) the right shield really gets in the way. It is just distracting and I can't seem to get totally comfortable. So that leads me to my confusion. I'm tempted by the MotoWheels custom high pipes because this will remove that problem and I could mount nice adjustable rear-sets. But I worry about low end tuning and honestly (no offense Motowheels) I don't know what the quality is like and I'd prefer carbon. I'm still waiting to see if LeoVince and Arrow come out with anything. I really cant see why someone cant make a similar exhaust set up with a different heat shield set up. And in the meantime I'm going to have a custom shop make me a custom shield. One that mounts up flush against the pipe. If I have to wrap the pipes behind the shield to lower temps I will. If you look at the stock one, the part that sticks out where my heel hits is pointless. Its comes out about two inches more than it needs too.

·
Registered
77 Posts
how exactly did you get the front turn signals off? I can't figure out how to get at the allen bolt holding them into the bracket...............??
ama

·
Registered
465 Posts
how exactly did you get the front turn signals off? I can't figure out how to get at the allen bolt holding them into the bracket...............??
ama
Its a pain in the arse! I used a pair of pliers to grab the bolt (its ridged on the sides.) and wiggled it with one hand while holding the signal with the other hand. I wiggled both back and forth gingerly till the bolt broke loose. Then removed it by hand. Getting it in is equally difficult and if I remember correctly I used the bolts from the rear signals as the front bolts will be way too long once you remove the spacer piece. I ended up using a small socket driver allen head which I turned by holding it with a pair of needle nose pliers from the side.......Not sure if that makes sense. You'll have to get creative unless you have an unlimited tool supply.

·
Registered
465 Posts
wouldn't it be easier to just detach the whole headlight/dash unit??

Chris
I looked at it but I was unsure how. Everytime I venture down that road, some fastener snaps off or something doesn't go back together properly.

·
Registered
309 Posts
A free mod for the SF for once....

This was an easy one... Two 10mm nuts behind the assy, and lift off of the rubber stays at the top, unbolt, lose the spacers, substitute shorter screws, done!

Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The DP one is nice and black and looks like it belongs on this bike. I'll let you know how it feels after a few miles.
Please do, although the seat is comfortable I dont like that wrinkled look!!!!

As for the exhaust, I'm totally confused. I like the look of the stock shotgun exhaust. I mean thats part of what makes it what it is, IMO. BUT I cant stand the right side heat shield. I think its ugly (even the carbon one) and it totally gets in the way of my right heel. Its not so bad when just cruising, actually its fine for the street but I am trying to get back into track days with this bike and really bought it because It can do everything. When riding in the canyons (my first track day is next week) the right shield really gets in the way. It is just distracting and I can't seem to get totally comfortable. So that leads me to my confusion. I'm tempted by the MotoWheels custom high pipes because this will remove that problem and I could mount nice adjustable rear-sets. But I worry about low end tuning and honestly (no offense Motowheels) I don't know what the quality is like and I'd prefer carbon. I'm still waiting to see if LeoVince and Arrow come out with anything. I really cant see why someone cant make a similar exhaust set up with a different heat shield set up. And in the meantime I'm going to have a custom shop make me a custom shield. One that mounts up flush against the pipe. If I have to wrap the pipes behind the shield to lower temps I will. If you look at the stock one, the part that sticks out where my heel hits is pointless. Its comes out about two inches more than it needs too.
I hear you on the exhaust and I took the more "conventional approach"...... I talked with the Leo Vince rep and he says they will have a pipe out soon (that was about a month ago so keep your eyes peeled). I don't know about Arrow but Scorpion (british make) make great pipes and they told me they are working on one for the SF though I don't see it posted yet http://www.scorpion-exhausts.com/Bikes/search2.php?mid=4

I really want to change out my rear set but might just settle for some better pegs in the mean time. I don't plan on tracking this bike yet but good luck on your first track day with it.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Please do, although the seat is comfortable I dont like that wrinkled look!!!!

I hear you on the exhaust and I took the more "conventional approach"...... I talked with the Leo Vince rep and he says they will have a pipe out soon (that was about a month ago so keep your eyes peeled). I don't know about Arrow but Scorpion (british make) make great pipes and they told me they are working on one for the SF though I don't see it posted yet http://www.scorpion-exhausts.com/Bikes/search2.php?mid=4

I really want to change out my rear set but might just settle for some better pegs in the mean time. I don't plan on tracking this bike yet but good luck on your first track day with it.
I'll be adding the seat today, I'll post some pics tonight.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks for the tip, Jones. Did mine tonight, took about one-half hour and looks great. Now the spacing on the front signals matches that of the rear with the DP tail tidy.
ama

1 - 20 of 46 Posts