Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states, I clipped a traffic cone (like an idiot) with the left side of the bars. It must've hit the clutch lever, because in addition to smashing the mirror I have no pressure in the clutch system. I tried bleeding the system, no luck. There is no leaking of fluids, so I'm at a loss as to what would've busted. Master or slave cylinder? Clutch push rod? Any ideas on what to move on first?

Additionally, the bike is a 2003 Monster 1000 so I don't think I can even purchase a rebuild kit (can't find one for it online).

Any help appreciated.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Were you able to bleed the system? I.e. did fluid pump through the bleed nipple?

Ducati pussies quit selling rebuild kits, claiming liability issues but I bet it was more in line with the Ducati Greed Factor. You have to try and find a Brembo kit or a kits from another brand bike.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Ok, I don't know what that means. You didn't open the nipple enough or it refused to bleed. You should apply pressure and open and close the valve while it is still moving fluid until you get a good stream on the final closing. If you can do that and the lever feels no clutch pressure, something is wrong beyond the clutch hydraulic system. Some systems require special positioning to avoid air bubble captures. If you can't do that, look for damage to the lever assembly and pull the piston out to examine the seals. Make sure there is a an open port out of the master cylinder into the actual cylinder. The released position of the piston has to open the port to allow fluid to enter in front of the front seal. Pull the slave off to look for leaks behind it if you haven't found the problem.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
You clipped a traffic cone, with the left side of your bars........? :confused:

Were you dragging elbow? :yeah: :wink2:

Are you from Texas?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
You clipped a traffic cone, with the left side of your bars........? :confused:

Are you from Texas?
no. if he were from Tejas, he'd have clipped it with his deer draped acrost' his tank.:D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I don't know what that means. You didn't open the nipple enough or it refused to bleed. You should apply pressure and open and close the valve while it is still moving fluid until you get a good stream on the final closing. If you can do that and the lever feels no clutch pressure, something is wrong beyond the clutch hydraulic system. Some systems require special positioning to avoid air bubble captures. If you can't do that, look for damage to the lever assembly and pull the piston out to examine the seals. Make sure there is a an open port out of the master cylinder into the actual cylinder. The released position of the piston has to open the port to allow fluid to enter in front of the front seal. Pull the slave off to look for leaks behind it if you haven't found the problem.
So I pulled apart the MC and a seal is pretty obviously blown. That's gotta be my problem. Now I'm trying to figure out where to find those seals. Any ideas?

And no, not Texas, Ohio unfortunately.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts