Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a set of clip ons. I'm leaning towards the CycleCats but they are very expensive. Almost 300 dollars.

I saw the Woodcraft clip ons on Section8SuperBike and they seem to do the same thing. They run about 1/2 what cycle cat runs.

That's 150 I can spend on other doo dads.

I would like to try the Woodcrafts but I am afraid that if they don't do the job, I'll be stuck with a 150 dollar mistake.

Anyone have any suggestions or comments?

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts
I have Heli Bars on my 748 and I am 6'4" and dont have any wrist or hand discomfort on long rides. I am happy with them and will be adding a Speedymoto triple clamp to give me a little more height.

http://www.ducatitech.com/4v/aftermarket/heli.html

·
Registered
791 Posts
level, are you looking to install bar risers for better riding position and comfort? standard clipons give you better response and leverage. raising the bars will make you turn in slower and work a little harder. and on some occassions, you'll increase the chance of hitting the mirror with your gloves while turning. you'll also need to extend and relocate your reserviors. don't spend $300 if you don't need to.

btw, i have vreeke bar risers i bought used off ebay. they work good but i'd go with helibars if i were to buy some new. the problem with cyclecats is that there is just too much adjustability. there is only so much room before you hit something. i had cyclecats too....

http://www.ducatiridersclub.com/Vreeke/index.html

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
I prefer the Cycle Cat risers. They have more range of adjustment than anything out there and they come very complete. I tried Heli bars, FBF, Sato and a few others before settling with Cycle Cat.

You don't have to pay $300. We have them 10% off in our member section

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
moto said:
You don't have to pay $300. We have them 10% off in our member section

That´s why MOTO is THE MAN!

I´d go with Cyclecat´s. I don´t have there risers, but alot off there other stuff and i can safely say that you get what you pay for. VERY nice quality stuff.

//amullo

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cheech said:
level, are you looking to install bar risers for better riding position and comfort? ...
Yes. Currently, my hand goes numb after a 1.5-2.0 hour ride. It takes but a few minutes off the bike to get them 100% operational again but, the time it takes to recover degrades as more miles are added. I'm probably slowly damaging my hand as I know from a previous hand injury, healing that nerve takes months.

I'm not too concerned with "working" a bit harder on the controls as I don't track/race (one day I'll do a track day to see what the hoopla is all about :) ).

M

·
0 Posts
I have Heli's on my 996 and just installed Cycle Cats on my 749S.

The Heli's were great for me on the 996 giving me a 2" rise over stock however the Heli's only provided a 1" rise over stock on the 749S.

The quality of the Cycle Cats is high end and give multiple positions to choose from but what a P.I.T.A. to install. On the 749 you need to bleed the clutch and brake lines to swap out the fluid reservoirs.

I thinks for the 998 the Heli's are the way to go, they serve the purpose and save you much coin. Besides you really don't see much of the clip-on once the switches and grips are installed.

Regards,
Rob

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
The 749/999 are more difficult to install--but unless you change the reservoirs, you are not going to get enough rise since the OEM reservoirs will hit the fairing. We've been able to swap reservoirs with out bleeding.

The 748-998 is easy to install and do not need a reservoir change.

I'd much rather have the range of adjustment of the billet aluminum Cycle Cat risers than the elbow out riding position of the steel Heli bars. I could never get comfortable on the Heli.

The last time I checked, the price difference was only about $25. The Cycle Cat bar sliders that are included with the kit are worth $65 bythem selves...

·
Registered
173 Posts
level7 said:
Yes...I'm probably slowly damaging my hand as I know from a previous hand injury, healing that nerve takes months.

I'm not too concerned with "working" a bit harder on the controls as I don't track/race (one day I'll do a track day to see what the hoopla is all about :) ).
level7: I have the Woodcrafts on my Mille SP. They are clip-ons, pure and simple; no real adjustability; just great for track or a bike that isn't so hard on the wrists.

As for the Cycle Cats, I've had them on every other bike I've owned for the last 8 years. They are beautifully made and the most adjustable option on the market. If your wrists are aching and hands numbing, you can do no better, IMO. Call Moto and get 'em.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I recently installed Cyclecat bars on my 916 and was going to post a review for those that may be interested, so here it is;

Installation was reasonably easy and they do have lots of adjustment (all of it upwards) problem is on the 916 is that you can't lift the bars much or they hit the fairings. I've fitted them as low as possible, (which is also about as high as possible) about 1/2" higher than stock - can't go any lower or the clamp would not sit on the thick part of the fork tube and can't go any higher or the switchgear hits the fairing.

In the current position my knuckles just hit the mirrors on full lock but before my thumbs trapped against the air intakes on full lock so 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other, the handlebars are about 3/4" longer (each) than stock, which I feel makes them more comfortable by having arms more apart and gives more leverage.

Despite only being about 1/2" higher and I have them at a similar rearward/downward angle they are much more comfortable and I get hardly any of the forearm/wrist/neck aches that I got before.

I also find it a better riding position than before but I think this depends on height, length of arms/body/preference etc, at 6' tall I found that, with the stock bars, I was always trying to default to a straight-arms riding position for better comfort whereas now I naturally sit in an arms-bent position which is better for control and feels more comfortable - this probably puts my head/upper body in a similar position to before but in a more relaxed way.

I did need to fit the throttle twist-grip on upside down to avoid it hitting the fairing and because the cable is too short but that is no problem and the fast-idle (aka cruise-control) is now just by my thumb.

Another thing that I like is that I can now turn the brake and clutch levers downwards slightly which suits me better and is much more comfortable (although you could do this with the stock bars by removing the pins).

Overall I find them very good, only concerns are whether they are secure enough without a locating pin and only one bolt in the clamp (it is a bigger bolt and wider clamp than stock though) and that the wide range of adjustability is largely redundant due to the fairing interference issues although minor angle adjustments are easy to do within the range available but I would have liked to be able to set them as low as stock (although I suppose this is not really the point) and then gradually adjust upwards but they won't go that low as the riser is so (unnecessarily) long for upward adjustment, they are very well made though but I did have to cut a couple of mm off the end of the plastic twist-grip assembly as the bar-end slider locked against the throttle so preventing it from spring returning.

To summarise I feel that the difference in comfort and rearward vision (can look easier over shoulder) is very good for street use and I'm pleased I fitted them, I don't think they affect the handling adversely in any way, however for 'maximum-attack-mode' on a track-only or Race bike I probably wouldn't bother as the lowest setting is higher than stock and the comfort issues only really arise (for me anyway) after a long trip at a more 'sensible' pace. :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Synergy said:
I have Heli Bars on my 748 and I am 6'4" and dont have any wrist or hand discomfort on long rides. I am happy with them and will be adding a Speedymoto triple clamp to give me a little more height.

http://www.ducatitech.com/4v/aftermarket/heli.html

how did you get more height with the speedymoto triple and the heli bars? i have the same setup. my heli bars are at least 12-15mm lower than the SM triple. when we moved the bars up to the bottom of the triple, it reduced the turning from lock to lock as it would contact the upper fairing unless you put the controls on a really funky angle.

are you doing the same thing, and if not could you post pics of you setup? it was really comfortable when they were jacked up, but i wasn't fond of pinching my fingers between the levers and the fairing. :D

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ferracci

I used the Ferracci clipon mounts when I owned a 748 - easy to install, and they provided enough of a difference to be worthwhile without radically affecting the riding position. YMMV, of course, but I've just installed similar bars on my 999, (harder to install, requiring removal of the top triple clamp), and they're a big improvement (for me).

·
Registered
161 Posts
is it true that the older superbikes. (pre 999) had a really "radical" forward sitting riding position? where the new design sits a little more up right ect.?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts