Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When starting my ss I keep getting this clicking sound from what I think is the solenoid. The dash lights flash at the same time as the clicking. What do you think it is? Thanks

·
Senior Italophile
867 Posts
Your battery is dead.
get a fresh one and put it on a trickle charger to keep it up to snuff.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i checked that, it was 12.38 which i'm pretty sure is fine. last time it had trouble starting was when the battery lead wires were loose which was an easy fix but i have a feeling this might require a new part

·
Senior Italophile
867 Posts
What does it drop to when you turn it over?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmm i don't know, i'll check that later today

·
Registered
94 Posts
The easy way to tell if it is your battery is to start bike with a set of jumper cables. If it starts...it's your battery. If it still clicks you can then check connections, starter, etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ground

My '01 750S did this. Turned out to be a ground-loop somewhere deep in my wiring-loom according to my mechanic. Strangely managed to burn-out two side-stand switches before he found it too. My suggestion would be to lift the tank, give the whole wiring-loom a bit of a shake and see if it doesn't start afterwards.
D.

·
Registered
2008 HyperMotard 1100S
696 Posts
As with what beekeeper said, check the connection to your starter solenoid. Let us know if you don't know what it looks like and we can point you in the right direction. If the connections aren't kosher, it will click but the bike won't turn over.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Had a similar issue on my 800... turned out to be a loose ground wire on top of the crankcase

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the responses guys, gonna check it out in an hour, i'll let you know how it goes

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i spent about an hour checking all the connections and everything looks great. still the clicking sound and dash lights flashing when i try to start up. my battery reads 12.81, that should be fine right? i just wanna get out and ride again!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Even if the voltage reads fine, the amps can be diminished if your battery is old. You can usually have it tested at an auto parts store. Or if it's old and you know it - just replace it.

It may not be able to carry a load.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well

i can rule out the battery now, swapped out with a month old battery that was fully charged and its still clicking. i am pretty convinced that its the solenoid. $97 from desmotimes, ouch. do you guys think i could find one cheaper somewhere else?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i would try to bump start it but its now somewhat disassembled, i'd really just like to find the malfunctioning part and finally be done with it. whats the likelihood of the starter motor being broken? like i said before, upon pressing the starter the dash lights flash and the starter solenoid can be heard to click repeatedly. i have already ruled out the battery and solenoid

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't the relays be swapped? I thought the relays had a tendency to be the weakest link. Aren't they similar to another automotive relay, VW or BMW?

The starter is a hell-of-a-lot more rugged than the relays.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i just replaced the relay(starter solenoid) yesterday with no results

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
fuses are all good

1 - 20 of 28 Posts