Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I have a 2001 996 biposto with about 24k miles on it. I noticed that recently the bike has started making "clicking" noises while mid-corner on left hand turns.

It only really shows up while at deep lean angles (think dragging knee), but it is concerning nonetheless.

Another strange thing that seems to be happening is that while cornering on right hand turns at deep lean angles, it feels solid for a bit, but a slight input will cause the bike to have a "floating" feeling and what I can only describe as a loss of centripetal acceleration. It feels like the bike just lets go and falls about 5 degrees deeper into the corner with little to no input, which is also rather disconcerting...

I have also noticed that the steering stem appears to be loose as when I brake it clicks forward, and upon releasing the brakes it clicks as it unloads backwards.

I have lowsided the bike on both sides, but the damage was minimal, however I have not had a chance to re-set the forks as described on the forums.

I am thinking that the steering stem bearings may be shot, but the clicking noise while cornering on left hand turns only seems like it may be something else.

Could the wheel bearings be shot as well?

·
Registered
156 Posts
With the suddenly falling 5 degrees deeper, could it be your tyres have a ridge there? Because it hasn't been ridden that far over very much?

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Do you have full floating front disk carrier buttons? I know as mine have worn a bit they get to clicking....but I can't say I've heard them do this in a deep turn.
I like the idea of worn/loose steering head bearings. Check for appropriate torque and see if that quells the noise.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Sounds like you could have multiple issues.....but if you can see the steering stem move under load then for sure get that bearing checked out. You should also be able to feel the bad wheel bearing if there is play just by giving the tire a good push/pull/twist check out when front end is lifted. Or pull the front wheel and check it.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Clicking from applying the front brake is most likely loose or worn steering head bearings.

I've never had clicking when leaned over. When my front wheel bearings went, what I noticed was bumps really threw me off line when leaned over. When my rear wheel bearings went, I noticed a momentary loss of steering feel when making sharp transitions going downhill. None of them exactly what you're describing and I had more miles on my bike than you do when these went.

As with all things, I'd do the cheap checks first. Tire inflation, tire tread, damping and preload setting the same on both forks, chain tension, rear wheel alignment. If you find nothing, get the thing in the air and check the steering bearing, front and rear wheel bearings, swingarm bearing. Check the torque on the front axle and pinch bolts.

Lastly, if the bike has been down and the forks have not been checked for alignment and the forks aligned, this should be done, no matter what you do.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Clicking from applying the front brake is most likely loose or worn steering head bearings.

I've never had clicking when leaned over. When my front wheel bearings went, what I noticed was bumps really threw me off line when leaned over. When my rear wheel bearings went, I noticed a momentary loss of steering feel when making sharp transitions going downhill. None of them exactly what you're describing and I had more miles on my bike than you do when these went.

As with all things, I'd do the cheap checks first. Tire inflation, tire tread, damping and preload setting the same on both forks, chain tension, rear wheel alignment. If you find nothing, get the thing in the air and check the steering bearing, front and rear wheel bearings, swingarm bearing. Check the torque on the front axle and pinch bolts.

Lastly, if the bike has been down and the forks have not been checked for alignment and the forks aligned, this should be done, no matter what you do.

Hmm it sounds similar to what you're describing when the front wheel bearings went bad, it seems to go off line or change direction radically (causing the "falling" feeling I get) if I give it a small input or perhaps it encounters an aberration in the road mid corner.

Well I'm going to replace the steering stem bearings with the tapered roller bearings as well as the front wheel bearings with new units from desmotimes.

Since the front end will be apart to do these, I guess this should re-set the fork alignment as well.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Check your engine-to-frame bolts. My ST2 started feeling a bit weird when transistioning in + out of corners. Turned out to be those bolts (rear one was a bit loose).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wheel bearings.

My ST2 did that when the RH front was dieing.

Tom
Ah thank you, that's good to know, I'm having the front wheel bearings replaced with new units as well as upgrading the steering stem bearings to the tapered roller bearings!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts