Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, here's a problem I've been having with my 99 996. I hit the starter button, and 19 times out of 20 all I get is a click. Then, that one time, it spins right over like there was nothing wrong at all.

Here's the twist, and the reason for a post: this was a former racebike, so it's got a pigtail to hook in a jumper pack (used to have a tiny 4ah battery). If I hook up the jumper pack, it starts every time, without hesitation. But the current battery(OEM size) is fine, not a voltage or Ah issue....

any thoughts?

Michael

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I'll check the battery and starter cables, give them a good wire brushing, some dielectric grease.

I don't see how this can be a battery issue, as the one time in 20 it spins over like new, even without the jumper pack? But with the jumper pack it always spins over like new.

I had this exact same problem with the 900ss years ago, there it turned out to be the little white plug in the back of the solenoid; not the case this time....

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had the same issue last year the problem was connection in starter button. Just try to clean the contacts in starter button and everything should be ok.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Perhaps a starter solenoid issue? Something is definitely not making contact. Every once in a while I'll have a similar symptom-the injectors kick on and you push start and click! That's all she's got. If I tap on the starter solenoid and free up the magnet, though, it kicks right over. You can even fit your hand in and tap it while sitting on the bike and without taking the fairings off.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Hi, here's a problem I've been having with my 99 996. I hit the starter button, and 19 times out of 20 all I get is a click. Then, that one time, it spins right over like there was nothing wrong at all.

Here's the twist, and the reason for a post: this was a former racebike, so it's got a pigtail to hook in a jumper pack (used to have a tiny 4ah battery). If I hook up the jumper pack, it starts every time, without hesitation. But the current battery(OEM size) is fine, not a voltage or Ah issue....

any thoughts?

Michael
Could also be where the wires are crimped into the connectors on your starter, battery and ground wires. If loose or corroded it will cause exactly what you describe. + 1 on all the other suggestions too.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well, after cleaning all the contacts, and testing all the wires for resistance with a Fluke meter to no avail, I checked the solenoid with the meter too. .7ohms when pressing the start button, seems low enough but not a great reading. So I swapped it with the solenoid from the 748. Now the 996 starts and the 748 just clicks! So I guess I've found my problem.

Best place to get a solenoid? Don't say dealer, at least not local dealer! My dealer's a joke......

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
Double check the adjustment of your kickstand sensor, IF you have one. This was a common problem with suzuki's that the kickstand button usually got loose, back-off'd, and then the button would be out with the bike thinking the kickstand is down. Guys would be on the freeway and the bike goes dead!

It's going to be some small little stupid connection somewhere.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I had something similar to this happen to my 02 748. I didn't get the click though. It ended up being the starter button itself. I disassembled as much as possible, hosed it down with electrical parts cleaner then then put it back together. It has been fine since.

Today, it is the damn voltage regulator....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts