Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Seems like it all worked out in the end. If it is plug n play which part of the wiring harness do they connect to?
the Clearwater Lights CANopener is the key to the plug-n-play of this system ... it literally plugs into the data port connector under the seat on the Multistrada, so no wires to cut.

when the Multi requires the data port to be accessed, simply unplug the CANopener from the data port connector.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Seems like it all worked out in the end. If it is plug n play which part of the wiring harness do they connect to?
the Clearwater Lights CANopener is the key to the plug-n-play of this system ... it literally plugs into the data port connector under the seat on the Multistrada, so no wires to cut.

when the Multi requires the data port to be accessed, simply unplug the CANopener from the data port connector.
Very cool; however, I guess they've yet to update their website since I dont see any references to the CANopener for the Multi.

·
Registered
16 Posts
received the 3D printed nylon spacers/adapters for the Clearwater Lights Darla LEDs to the stock Ducati fog light mounting brackets, and installed the Darlas.

this is the same setup i had on my 2010 Multistrada 1200 S Touring, same mounting location, same model Clearwater Darla LEDs. the only difference this time will be the Clearwater CANopener, which will allow setting the brightness in DRL mode of the Darlas to whatever percentage i wish, and will automatically turn the brightness up to 100% when either the horn is pressed, the passing beam (brights) switch is hit, or the headlights are turned to high beams. super cool features and it also negates the need for the funky potentiometer to adjust the Darla brightness. all in all, a great feature set, and improved functionality IMHO.

bravo Glenn Stasky and the team at Clearwater Lights!

Link to where you bought the spacers?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Link to where you bought the spacers?

Thanks!
not bought ... 3D printed them for mounting the Darla LEDs onto the stock Ducati fog light mounting brackets.

if anyone wishes to either 3D print or even better perhaps, machine a set out of aluminum or steel ... here is a drawing with dimensions.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Very cool; however, I guess they've yet to update their website since I dont see any references to the CANopener for the Multi.
i am hoping that Glenn and his team will have the CANopener for our Multistradas ready for final testing/first article production piece this month (March).

as soon as the kits are ready, Clearwater will be putting together an introductory discount price for all Multistrada owners, and will publish the discount code then.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i am hoping that Glenn and his team will have the CANopener for our Multistradas ready for final testing/first article production piece this month (March).

as soon as the kits are ready, Clearwater will be putting together an introductory discount price for all Multistrada owners, and will publish the discount code then.
Nice, I'll definitely keep an eye on this thread.

·
Registered
879 Posts
received the 3D printed nylon spacers/adapters for the Clearwater Lights Darla LEDs to the stock Ducati fog light mounting brackets, and installed the Darlas.

this is the same setup i had on my 2010 Multistrada 1200 S Touring, same mounting location, same model Clearwater Darla LEDs. the only difference this time will be the Clearwater CANopener, which will allow setting the brightness in DRL mode of the Darlas to whatever percentage i wish, and will automatically turn the brightness up to 100% when either the horn is pressed, the passing beam (brights) switch is hit, or the headlights are turned to high beams. super cool features and it also negates the need for the funky potentiometer to adjust the Darla brightness. all in all, a great feature set, and improved functionality IMHO.

bravo Glenn Stasky and the team at Clearwater Lights!
Do these lights include all the brackets required to install them in the same location as the Multistrada's GT set-up?

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Do these lights include all the brackets required to install them in the same location as the Multistrada's GT set-up?
i'm not sure what mounting kit Clearwater Lights will end up offering/including.

i 3D printed the adapters to allow the Darla LEDs to mount on the Ducati fog light mounting brackets ... so even if Clearwater decides not to include the additional mounting kit, one can purchase the Ducati fog light mounting brackets, and 3D print, or machine spacers to facilitate mounting the Darla LEDs.

for mounting the other LEDs that Clearwater offers (e.g.: the Krista or Erika LEDs), those can mount directly to the Ducati fog light mounting brackets, using the Clearwater mounts.

again, more data, once Clearwater finalizes what their kits will include.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
got a phone call from Glenn at Clearwater Lights ... they are shooting to have the first article production piece of the CANopener for Multistradas ready for testing and fitment on my 1260 in the next week or so.

as soon as the final testing is completed and any engineering tweaks that may be required are completed, Clearwater should launch the new product as a complete plug-n-play kit with Darla LEDs. Glenn has advised he will put together a special discount pricing deal for the product launch, and i will advise the details here when available.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
At Clearwater Lights again, getting the production CANopener installed.

This is Billy doing the installation. He’s the person that Clearwater Billie brake light is named after.

A video of how to program the CANopener to manage the LED brightness and the other options, will be posted up soon on the Clearwater web site, along with photos and written instructions.

i gotta say, with the CANopener module installed to manage the Darla LEDs, the system is very cool indeed.

now i can set the brightness of the LEDs while in DRL mode (low beams on) to anywhere between 10 and 100% brightness, and not need to have the potentiometer/volume switch on the bike ... i just use a combination of "Mode" and turn signal switch presses to set and save.

the cool functionality is that no matter what brightness you have the LEDs set to run at in DRL mode, when you hit the horn, or flash the brights, or go to high beams, the LEDs turn up to 100% brightness.

i'll post up the written operating instructions ASAP, as they will indicate all the functionality/features.

Attachments

·
Registered
732 Posts
Is the Canopener plug and play? Does it require that you use the prewired fog light plug which is already on the bike?

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Is the Canopener plug and play? Does it require that you use the prewired fog light plug which is already on the bike?
yes, the CANopener is plug-n-play ... it literally plugs into the diagnostic port connector under the seat.

You plug the CANopener in, connect the positive and negative leads to the battery, and then plug in the wire to run to the front of the Multi, and either bolt the Darla LEDs to the factory fog light mounting brackets (as I have done in photo below), or use the fender mount brackets from Clearwater (as in other photo below).

the CANopener also has leads out of it to connect up one of Clearwater's Billie tail/brake LED lights, if one chooses.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
currently working with Clearwater Lights on developing an alternative "Billie LED Brake Light" that will replace the rear reflector on the Multistrada.

and, when coupled with the Clearwater Lights CANopener the Billie Brake Light is an "intelligent" brake light module that utilizes sensor data carried on the CAN bus. this allows the Billie to read how hard the bike is braking in order to react appropriately to any given situation.

we will be 3D printing up a prototype housing, and field testing soon.

https://www.clearwaterlights.com/.../billie-brake-light

21 - 40 of 44 Posts