Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ciao all,

i will be taking my 1260 S up to Clearwater Lights offices in the next week or so, to let their engineers (sw and electrical) test their new Darla plug-N-Play system.

will know more, after the engineers test their prototypes out.

should be a very cool system, as all the products Glenn and his group manufacture/market, are awesome

https://www.clearwaterlights.com.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Please keep us updated, if this is a truly plug and play system (works with the native aux lighting switch) I'd be interested to know how they did it, since AFAIK the DP aux lights require a software upgrade to work.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Please keep us updated, if this is a truly plug and play system (works with the native aux lighting switch) I'd be interested to know how they did it, since AFAIK the DP aux lights require a software upgrade to work.
Unless Glenn and his team of engineers change their initial direction, I can advise that this plug-n-play system will NOT use the built-in fog light switch, as I discussed that with Glenn on my last trip to their offices.

Glenn advised that they are looking at another method of setting the brightness of the Darla LEDs, using a series of button sequences/presses. This will alleviate the need to have the factory fog light switch activated by a Ducati dealership using the diagnostic toolset that dealers have, as from the factory, the fog light switch is not active.

·
Super Moderator
8,173 Posts
If you do, let them know that member @mroberto has actually made a CANBUS sniffer for the Ducati´s LED headlight. Its a stand alone plug and play unit that sniffs when you use the headlight button. Not as a reseller, mind you, but he has done the groundwork and made atleast two units that I know about.
Not sure how much it can be adjusted, but it certainly handles the normal "turn auxillariy lights on/off together with highbeam" and I seem to recall him saying that it could be programmed.. Two quick highbeam flicks could engage a rapid pulse on aux-lights.. Or an outgoing signal to activate your garagedoor opener.. Stuff like that.

A buddy has it on his -15 DVT to handle the two VisionX Optimus round HALO aux lights.
It doesnt require any coding by a Ducati rep and it also functions with an inbuilt relay to handle powerful lights.
Note that the Ducati fogligt wiring shuts down if you try and draw more the 1.5 amps or so. Really weak. It can´t handle 2x10w draw for example.

·
Registered
674 Posts
The headlights on a Panigale are essentially cosmetic. The Monster's headlight is not bad but not nearly as good as a stock 2017 Multistrada "S".
Looking forward to riding my new 2018 2060 Pp in the spring. Moreover, I like a lot of light and I'll be adding some to the Multi.

·
Registered
199 Posts
If Ducati could make the headlight on all their bikes somewhere close to as good as the unit they put in the 2015+ Diavels, they'd never hear another complaint about headlights. Yea, it's a funny looking upside-down U, but even the MTS doesn't compete when it comes to lighting your way. High beam on those is European luxury car good.

·
Super Moderator
8,173 Posts
I’ve installed a set of Erica’s on my 2016 PP
A long day on the Route du Nord in Quebec (look it up) made me realize the need. Pretty awesome.

- Michael
Cool! My dad used to work up at Poste Albanel North of Chibougamau when we lived in Montreal back in the mid 80´s.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mission accomplished. Darla LEDs installed.

Glenn and his team at Clearwater Lights did their usual superb installation work on this new plug-n-play Darla system.

This was to test their new CanOpener canbus system, which was tested in beta format today. Worked perfectly.

I will be taking the Multi 1260 S up to their offices after the first of the year, when they have the production Canopener product (potted and sealed in a very nice, small waterproof package) ready to plug into this installation.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
I'd love a shot of where you ran the wiring in the front. I ran mine across the top of the fender because of the lack of space underneath.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd love a shot of where you ran the wiring in the front. I ran mine across the top of the fender because of the lack of space underneath.
if i understood your question correctly, i ran the wiring for the Darlas on the top of the front fender extension, and zip tied it in place. we had to run the wiring on the outside of the extension, as we used a "splitter" that allowed us to only need to run one power lead from the back of the bike to the front, and then to the splitter, which then ran to the left and right Darla LEDs.

not the best photo, but hopefully you can see the setup.

anyway, the CANopener production unit should be ready after the new year ... and when i ride up to Clearwater and have it installed, i'll take more photos, and post them up.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, halfway through installing the factory fog light mounting brackets on my 1260, so I can move the Clearwater Darla LEDs up to that location ... the install on the right side went easy-peasy.

Went to install the left side, took the panels off, grabbed the light mount bracket out of the clearly marked left bracket bag ... and damned if it was not a tight bracket and not the needed left bracket.

So, sitting at my local Ducati dealership now, waiting to get the correct part ordered.

Ah ... first world problems, eh?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
update: just got back from the dealership ... Ducati Italy finally sent the correct part!!!! i will install the left light mounting bracket tomorrow ... it looks to be a real PITA installation, as the oil cooler lines and some other fiddly bits look to be right in the way of the bolt holding the radiator mount on that side ... and that's the bolt that this bracket needs to be installed on.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
received the 3D printed nylon spacers/adapters for the Clearwater Lights Darla LEDs to the stock Ducati fog light mounting brackets, and installed the Darlas.

this is the same setup i had on my 2010 Multistrada 1200 S Touring, same mounting location, same model Clearwater Darla LEDs. the only difference this time will be the Clearwater CANopener, which will allow setting the brightness in DRL mode of the Darlas to whatever percentage i wish, and will automatically turn the brightness up to 100% when either the horn is pressed, the passing beam (brights) switch is hit, or the headlights are turned to high beams. super cool features and it also negates the need for the funky potentiometer to adjust the Darla brightness. all in all, a great feature set, and improved functionality IMHO.

bravo Glenn Stasky and the team at Clearwater Lights!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 43 Posts