Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while changing my tach for one that works, I noticed that getting clear turn signals was as simple as unscrewing the insert. So I did, and I rather like the results!

I need to pick up some amber bulbs, or I might try amber-colored surface-mount LED bulbs...there isn't an annoying CANBUS system that will freak out if it detects a low-voltage LED on bikes this old, is there?

btw, what's the bulb code? I searched the manual and came up empty-handed.

also, has anyone installed HIDs into the stock headlight housing? Is the stock bulb an H4? Would 55W HIDs melt the housing/the headlight wires? If that's the case, I might try a 35W kit.

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
Use the search function to search the ST forum. There have been several threads on installing HID headlights.

·
Ducati Designs
1,124 Posts
No canbus on older ST, but LEDs may cause the flasher to operate rapidly due to low load. You can get chromed amber bulbs at tuner shops that will not look yellow when off. Oh, and the headlight bulbs are H3 low and H1 high beam. Most HID capsules generate less heat than their halogen equivalents. You'll get more light with HID, but the beam pattern can be poor.

Good luck,

pg
DD

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No canbus on older ST, but LEDs may cause the flasher to operate rapidly due to low load. You can get chromed amber bulbs at tuner shops that will not look yellow when off. Oh, and the headlight bulbs are H3 low and H1 high beam. Most HID capsules generate less heat than their halogen equivalents. You'll get more light with HID, but the beam pattern can be poor.

Good luck,

pg
DD
thanks, that's good information! I wonder if the relay would still blink fast if both the front and rear turn signal bulbs were LED.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts