Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy’s, I just made a YouTube video about cleaning my bike and a great way to keep it brand new..
I have a trick you guys may like.

Check it out and tell me what you think.
Friends that have tried it ended up really liking it .
Thanks.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Dont take this the wrong way but...your bike is new....and you live in a mostly sunny dry climate from what i can see....

Go through and english uk winter ( using it most days) and no matter how hard you try, paint will get stripped from engines, swing arms, sub frames etc etc.

The first casualty on a ducati are the fixings.Ive seen brand new demo monsters in the local ducati shop start to corrode within 500 miles....

In our climate over here the only way to keeo bikes looking like new is to literally recoat them in powder coat, cerakote or xylan and change every fixing possible for either stainless or ti...which is what ive done....

One day of commuting on a wet rainy cold day after the roads have been salted will make your bike look like youve just done a motorcross...itll take well over an hour to clean and youll go through at least 5 to good sized rags and a fair bit of wd40...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
Super simple and stupid cool! Just a straight up L bracket from say home depot? Anything special? Did you use pre existing holes or did you drill into the underside of the bike?

Also, any interference with the tire or shock?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Since my bike is only for fun, I don't ride in the rain unless I get caught out. I've only used a spray detailer and liquid wax. Would hate to dry all those areas after hosing it. L bracket is awesome and cheap.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
What bracket did you use to mount your license plate down low like that?
If you have pics, that would be awesome.
Thanks.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X9ZSLRX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Dont take this the wrong way but...your bike is new....and you live in a mostly sunny dry climate from what i can see....

Go through and english uk winter ( using it most days) and no matter how hard you try, paint will get stripped from engines, swing arms, sub frames etc etc.

The first casualty on a ducati are the fixings.Ive seen brand new demo monsters in the local ducati shop start to corrode within 500 miles....

In our climate over here the only way to keeo bikes looking like new is to literally recoat them in powder coat, cerakote or xylan and change every fixing possible for either stainless or ti...which is what ive done....

One day of commuting on a wet rainy cold day after the roads have been salted will make your bike look like youve just done a motorcross...itll take well over an hour to clean and youll go through at least 5 to good sized rags and a fair bit of wd40...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
I know that my weather here in the US is no comparison to yours. You are correct about it being difficult to keep it clean out there.
There are a lot of other Ducati owners that read this forum that are from all over the world. This is why I posted this. This tip has helped many of my friends who now use it. I am just trying to give any informative tip that someone else may use.
I feel for you guy's, the weather out there is harsh. I know it must be hard to manage keeping the bikes looking good.

Thank you for your input, stay safe and enjoy the bike as much as I do..

·
Registered
473 Posts
Super simple and stupid cool! Just a straight up L bracket from say home depot? Anything special? Did you use pre existing holes or did you drill into the underside of the bike?
Those are the best kind :) I got all kinds of questions about the "Fender Eliminator" on my 1098. Most of the kits cost $100 -$200ish.....I made mine with a piece of aluminum bar stock and a hose clamp.

·
Registered
544 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X9ZSLRX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I know that my weather here in the US is no comparison to yours. You are correct about it being difficult to keep it clean out there.
There are a lot of other Ducati owners that read this forum that are from all over the world. This is why I posted this. This tip has helped many of my friends who now use it. I am just trying to give any informative tip that someone else may use.
I feel for you guy's, the weather out here is harsh. I know it must be hard to manage keeping the bikes looking good.

Thank you for your input, stay safe and enjoy the bike as much as I do..
Yeah - its tough here....i learnt my lesson with my first z1000 10 years ago...got to work - ok - came out of work 3" of snow, slush and salt....just about made it home...chucked it in the garage as i was freezing cold..used the car for the rest of the week...went out to the garage to clean it on the weekend....pretty well the whole sump was stripped of paint along with most of the swingarm...lovely :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Also, any interference with the tire or shock?
No problem with my US lic plat hitting anything else.
I just made the pre existing holes in the bracket a little wider for the screws I used. I took the battery out and made holes to mount the bracket.

P.S. I am in the US, so my lic plate is smaller than the UK plates.

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
The problem with WD-40 is that its very hygroscopic (water attracting) by design. It's made to bind to water (hence WD = 'Water Displacement"). In high humidity environments this is not ideal b/c it may cause things to corrode over time. I prefer using ACF-50 which is an anti-corrosion product and it makes plastic look good too.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The problem with WD-40 is that its very hygroscopic (water attracting) by design. It's made to bind to water (hence WD = 'Water Displacement"). In high humidity environments this is not ideal b/c it may cause things to corrode over time. I prefer using ACF-50 which is an anti-corrosion product and it makes plastic look good too.

I live in LA and have been using WD-40 for years and have never noticed anything like you mentioned. Of course it it possible, but maybe it isn't that humid out here.

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Nor me - been using WD40 for the last 30 years....
I use it too, all the time. Buy it by the gallon as a matter of fact. It works well to displace water and as a degreaser. It was just never designed as a long term preservative. I will used it to clean a chain, especially after a rainy ride. But I'll wipe it off afterwards and put something else to lubricate and protect the chain.

My point is if your looking to spray something on as a preservative, there are much better options.

·
Registered
544 Posts
No - as i said - i go straight to the source of the problem and get my bikes (on the whole) recoated with products that can handle the bad uk weather. My main weapon of choice is cerakote...coat your bike in that and you dont have to use acf50 etc etc....
20200328_173054.jpg

Pretty well the whole bottom half of the bike is cerakoted including the whole engine. Ducati and KTM are the worst of the bunch for coatings...my rsv4factory has weathered the best. 14k and 9 years of ownership and not really anything has needed to be done to it...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts