Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Destinations are optional
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a favorite lid (don't we all?) that I just noticed has acquired a certain 'funk'....time to pull the liner and wash it. Soaked it last night in some Oxiclean, but it still doesn't smell clean. Don't know if this is a new phase or if I've never really noticed this before, but I guess head funk is fairly tenacious......:confused: Did the obligatory search and couldn't find a single thread with any accumulated wisdom on the subject, so what say ye? Who's got laundry tips for helmet liners?

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
Try wiping out the liner with those fabric freshener strips that you throw in the dryer with a load of wet cothes.

·
Mr Leakered
8,928 Posts
It sounds like your helmet liner is removable. If so, get a lingerie bag (zippered nylon mesh wash sack) and kick it, including the check pads, chin strap pads, breath guard, and chin curtain, in the washing machine on gentle cycle. Air dry overnight, and you'll be very happy. If not, don't put your whole helmet in the wash. Not good. ;)

If your leathers are feeling the same way, pull out the armour and do the same. Only wash leathers by themselves. Don't plan on a ride for at least 24hrs as it will take time to dry them. You don't want dye getting on some fav white cotton stuff. Lexol the leathers after they are dry.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Buy a new liner. Funk is forever.

·
Mr Leakered
8,928 Posts
That and some liners can cost $100, based on the prices I've seen for the bits on my X-11.

A wash will cost ya $0.25. That's my $0.02. ;)

The use of laundry detergent was an assumption. :D

·
Destinations are optional
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Tony....Gentle cycle in a mesh bag sounds right.....maybe break out some George Clinton P-funk to set the mood ;)

·
Registered
920 Posts
I've been taking my helmet with me into the shower for years.:D

Shampoo will cut the oils from your sweaty dome piece. Use plenty of shampoo and rub with your fingers. Rinse and do it again. Finally RINSE, RINSE, RINSE. Blot out helmet with a towel then put in front of a fan for a couple days if you can.

Presto! Helmet smells nice and fresh again.

There is a pump spray that is designed to be sprayed on the wipe off, specifically for helmets. I used it several times but never got as good a result as above.

Fred

·
Registered
43 Posts
I agree with the above, I use shampoo and it has always worked to get out any funk in the helmet. Its meant for funky hair, so funky helmet isn't much of a stretch.

·
Premium Member
12,402 Posts
Baby shampoo What can that hurt ? When was the last time you washed it ? I don't want to know...Don't let it get that dirty Wash often..Sun light is a great killer of Bacteria..If you can scrape it off and roll it in balls ,well maybe it is forever...

·
Banned
3 Posts
I've been using this stuff for years.
Safely removes the causes of foul odors within helmet liner and padding
Leaves a fresh, clean fragrance, not a “perfumed” smell
Also excellent for exterior shell and faceshield to remove dirt, grime and bugs

Attachments

·
Registered
630 Posts
Sly Stone would be proud of ya!
There's a name out of the past. I actually saw him (and Family Stone) once before he got too stoned to play.

It was a couple of weeks after Woodstock ...

... sex ... drugs ... rock 'n' roll ... yamaha 350 ...

Those were the days. :D

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've been taking my helmet with me into the shower for years.:D

Shampoo will cut the oils from your sweaty dome piece. Use plenty of shampoo and rub with your fingers. Rinse and do it again. Finally RINSE, RINSE, RINSE. Blot out helmet with a towel then put in front of a fan for a couple days if you can.

Presto! Helmet smells nice and fresh again.

Fred
Ditto what Fred said. This is the exact thing the Shoei factory rep told me a few years ago. Take it into the shower for a shampoo and rinse. Allow to air dry well for several days and voila, no more funk.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts