Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 848 streetfighter and I would like to deep clean my radiator fins and cylinder head. I've tried simple green with a brush but it barely touch it. Any recommendations on a product to clean up this unsightly mess? Also, any good products to straighten out some of the fins?

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
My oil cooler looked worse than that after 50,000 kms, the centre third was also caked pretty solid with mud, which obviously didn't help cooling.

I took mine completely off and alternately soaked it in warm water, and scraped out the softened mud with small-gauge wire between the fins, pretty carefully. Also used the wire to gently straighten the bent fins as much as possible.

Never going to look like new though.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
There is actually a tool for straightening fins on coolers, be they oil, radiator or A/C heat exchangers.

You can use a bit of wire, or a tiny screw driver to do somewhat the same thing. I've done it when a fin comb was not available...like in the middle of a desert in Southwest Asia...or the middle East if you prefer that term instead. As for cleaning....well.....warm water, simple green and a stiff bristle nylon brush is probably the best...maybe use a toothbrush and some mineral spirits first in case the gummy stuff is petroleum based......sean

1 - 3 of 3 Posts