Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok first of all I just need to let everyone know that I am not affiliated with any of these products or companies. I'm actually in the IT industry, this is just a small hobby/pet peeve of mine. These are just products I've done research on and prefer to use over a few others I've tried.

So! I went on a 1100km trip over the weekend and came home to a bike full of bugs and general road grime. This was my first big road trip on the bike and I wanted to do a full detail on it.
Doesn't look to bad, but I don't need much of an excuse to mess around with my foam gun (Seriously they are good fun, especially when you're SO is around :p)

This was my main motivation, chain grease and grime...nasty!

Gotta love when you smush bugs into the seat after they hit you. No getting around it when on the highway...

Well, that looks terrible.

Ok here is my plan of attack / ammunition for the cleaning assault. I'm going to give you a little description about every product and why I use it. This has proved to be the most important component. Using the right product for the right component/surface is crucial.

From left ----> right
Sonax Wheel Cleaner - I've been using this stuff for years on my cars and its awesome! When you spray it on, it goes on green. Then as it reacts with iron particles, grime, brake dust, it starts to turn purple. I usually spray it on and then use a spoke brush just to loosen things up.

Sonax Upholstery and Carpet cleaner - This cleaner is perfect for the seat material, you just spray it on and using a microfiber towel to dab/brush out stains and in my case bugs that have been sat on for 600km. I use this product allot because it doesn't leave a finish. It just dries to whatever the original finish of the fabric.

Chemical Guys Matte Detailer - This is really for after the wash or in between rides when you just want to wipe things off. My best description is its like glass cleaner for paint and matte finishes. It dries super fast when you wipe it off with a microfiber towel. But of course it's for matte finishes and it doesn't leave any kind of shine what so ever. Also it acts as a UV protectant!
Link for where I got it from - Chemical Guys Meticulous Matte Detailer 16oz | Auto Obsessed

Chemical Guys Matte Auto Wash - This is what I use in the foam gun which you will see below. It really is key to use this kind of thing up a Matte Bike. Almost all other auto soaps I found have some kind of "Shine" or "Gloss" component to them. Which is exactly what I DON'T want! The great thing about this stuff is that is doesn't strip wax off either. People will tell you dish soap can do the same thing. But using that on you're bike every time isn't the best thing to do. Dish soap is actually a really strong soap and isn't safe on all the components of the bike. It is great for taking off wax though. That is one place I do use it sometimes. More details on this stuff can be found here - Chemical Guys Matte Opaque Wash 16oz | Auto Obsessed

Foam Gun! - Scroll down, you will see why I love this thing. It's just an attachment for the hose that you can hook up in 2min. It's an easy way to coat the bike and not mis anything. The soap will also penetrate more areas compared to if you just used a bucket.

Swissvax - Opaque Wax and fuel repellent. *Description below with picture*

Lets get started, I sprayed the rims down with the Sonax Wheel Cleaner and let that sit for 2-3 minutes as it worked on the grime. Then I sprayed down the entire bike with the hose and got rid of all the now purple wheel chemical. Note - if it doesn't turn purple... Its clean!

The fun begins! Hooked up the foam gun and went to town.

Next I rubbed in all the soap and wnet over every component with a sheepskin mitt. MAKE SURE you regularly wash the mitt off as you clean different surfaces. This will keep you from scratching things with the dirty mitt.
Then I just sprayed the bike again with the foam gun.
Wooohooo foam!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

Ok the bike is clean, not time to unhook the gun and spray everything down with the hose.

Worked on this bugs with a towel and the Sonax upholstery cleaner. Just needs to dry now.

Ok this Swissvax Opaque Wax/Fuel Repellent is pretty cool stuff. It was originally developed by Swissvax for the Lamborghini Matte Black Aventador, but then they added the fuel repellent for the bike product (I was told this by the sales manger at my local detail shop, don't quote me on it). Anyway, you apply it on after you are done cleaning the bike. Make sure to use a brand new applicator pad, you don't want any other kind of wax that will create a shine on your bike.
Note - I really had to rub hard with a clean microfiber towel to get this stuff off, and after I still have to much wax that kind of messed up the finish. I think I applied way to much at one time. Try to put a super thin coat on. I really like the fuel repellent feature, its great peace of mind when I screw up at the fuel station. I don't think I've quiet figured out the best way to apply it yet, when I try it again I'll update this post.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After the wax we are DONE! If you find any spot you missed, I used the Chemical guys matte detailer spray to wipe those spot off. Its perfect for the painted and plastic surfaces. Probably my favourite product out of everything. Makes wiping down parts super easy and have a streakless/glossless finish.

Oh boy I'm almost embarrased to post this picture of the back tire haha. First track day next weekend! Should get rid of those streaks :) Least its clean!

Foam gun <3

If you have any questions let me know! These are just the products I've found to be useful and do a really great job. Obviously you would switch up a few things for the gloss painted bikes. But the process would pretty much be the same.
Cheers

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Oh no! Not a foam gun again???:eek:

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/138-streetfighter/133104-sf-detailing.html

I hope your frame doesn't rust too ;)

IMO, best to use water as little as possible on a motorcycle. Mine only sees it once a year if I can.
Wonway you are always a wealth of knowledge of this forum. Not sure I 100% agree with this one though, this isn't much different from riding in the rain which the bikes are built for. As long as the bike isn't sitting for an extended period of time after the wash, the excess water shouldn't cause any damage.
This kind of wash for sure isn't a regular occurrence. Maybe once or twice a year, the typical wipe down is usually all anyone needs to do.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I agree with Wonway. I've always used as little water as possible on ALL of my motorcycles. Too many wires and electronics that are exposed that can get wet and cause problems.

I use Optimum OptiSeal on my motorcycles as my "wax". It's clear, goes on clear, wipes off clear, dries clear and does an awesome job of protecting the paint on the tank, tail, frame and wheels. It can also be use on plastic as well.

To clean I just use a spray on quick detailer. The only thing that get REALLY dirty are the wheels and I will use Sonax on those and rise with water. Then protect with the OptiSeal.

Your bike looks great though! Good job!

·
Registered
252 Posts
The bike looks great!

I don't know that these bikes are "built for" water, I think they're built to tolerate some of it, but certain components will fail much sooner under excessive moisture. Ideally, water would stay clear. I'm sure that an occasional bath is ok.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Great write up PH and the bike looks the "Dog's" but can I add my two cents,
I like Wonway and others hate to get my bikes soaking wet as the electrics and some of the fixings are alitte suspect when wet.
My way of dealing with it after a necessary wash is to blow the bike dry with a cheap garden blower that I keep just for that job.

Geoff...:sleep:

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Agreed, Ducatis don't like water.
Didn't the crazy brit have rust problems not too long after doing something crazy like that?
Thanks for the write up, I'll just skip the foam and garden hose part.
Cheers!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Crazy Brit!!! hope thats not me Mauro...;);)

I've had to replace alot nuts and bolts on almost new but neglected bikes before resale so always make certain the whole bike is fully dried, it is after all your baby...:eek:

·
Registered
133 Posts
got to say i applaud your efforts, but it looks like that wax added a bit of gloss to your matte finish, which doesnt look so nice.

as for the foam gun, i would rather spot clean the dirty areas myself. only takes a few minutes, and looks good as new

·
Registered
51 Posts
Agreed, Ducatis don't like water.
What?! Duc's don't like water? ;)

But seriously, let me correct your statement:
"Agreed, [any motorcycle] don't like water." I've heard this many times before and it's true if you aren't careful and meticulous on how you dry the bike out. I've never had an issue in some 42 years of riding, some of the wet came from rain, some came from a hose, bikes can handle it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The bike looks great!

I don't know that these bikes are "built for" water, I think they're built to tolerate some of it, but certain components will fail much sooner under excessive moisture. Ideally, water would stay clear. I'm sure that an occasional bath is ok.
That's much better wording, "Tolerate" it is the best way to describe my feelings on this. Also as mentioned taking some compressed air to dry out the suspect areas is a great way to reach the areas that you can't with a drying towel.

Oh! Speaking of microfiber drying towels... Check out Waffle microfiber drying towels. I'm totally sold using them VS the traditional shammy.

Edit- The opaque wax hasn't added any kind of shine to the bike. But you can definitely tell there is an extra layer of "something" on the tank. It for sure marks up easier with finger prints. But if it protects it from the occasional fuel overspray and the elements... I'm happy with the product. Also its easy enough to get off with a little dish soap as mentioned. Don't even need a foam gun for that hehe ;)

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Just crank the back pack blower and it will be dry before you know it!
(You may need a 999 kickstand if you do that in order not to blow the bike over on it side).....:D

·
Registered
400 Posts
(You may need a 999 kickstand if you do that in order not to blow the bike over on it side).....:D[/QUOTE]

After finally finding one on ebay I'm now awaiting its arrival from the seller.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts