Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have two bikes with Michelin Pilots on them. I have an '07 GT1000 with Pilot Classics (about 4000 miles- I got it at the very end of last season as the second owner) and my wife has an '07 Tiger with Pilot Roads (NOT Road2's) with about 8500 miles on them. Both are the original tires.

Last Saturday, the better half and I went for a ride. As is my habit, I did a walk around the bikes when we got home. I noticed that the rear tire on my wife's bike had a hairline crack around its entire circumference about 1" to the right of center. It is not an open crack, but it will catch your fingernail if you rub across it. On my wife's bike, it is not a straight-line crack- it wiggles all over the place, but basically on the same plane in the tire.

Upon asking my wife if she noticed anything unusual, she said that about ten miles from home in a fairly sharp right-hand turn, the rear end of her bike stepped out suddenly, as if she had hit a good-sized rock except that there wasn't a rock there. Hmmmm.:think: That incident may or may not have anything at all to do with the crack.

On further inspection, I then find that both the tires on my GT have similar cracks, except that they are almost completely straight around the circumference- about an inch to the right of center on the rear and about an inch to the left of center on the front.

I run Pirelli tires on my ST3s, and I don't know how many other brands on previous bikes, but I don't remember seeing anything like this before. I'm not concerned about the mileage my wife has gotten out of the Pilots, frankly, that's darn good and she's due for a new set of tires anyway. By the way, neither the Roads nor the Classics are dual compound and I'm compulsive about making sure the air pressure is correct. Neither of us are knee-draggers, but then again we like to enjoy the twisties.

Does anyone have any idea what caused/causes these cracks and, far more importantly, do we need to be worried about continuing to ride on these tires?

I'm going to try and put pictures in here , the first of the Road and the second of the Classic. I hope I did this correctly...

Any advice, information, wisdom, or experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Dave

'06 ST3s
'07 GT1000

Attachments

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
That's "normal" on the michelins I've been told. Mine are the same...always. :)

·
Registered
724 Posts
It's actually a carbon strip and is normal. I posted a thread on the same thing awhile back. I contacted Michelin (4 times) and only one person knew anything about it in the whole place -- after the 4th call. Out of everyone I talked to, No one had EVER seen it before. You would think Michelin would notify the dealers so they would know also.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=57540

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
something doesn't fit...

Thanks guys. I truly appreciate the responses-- it's nice to know I'm not the only one to have gone through this...whatever it is.

The carbon strip would explain the nice, neat split on the Classics, but the split wiggles all over the place on the Road. I don't understand... Maybe it's the way they make 'em and there's no harm. I'll be darned if I'd make bike tires that show a split like that.

Regardless, my wife now has an issue with trusting the equipment, will not ride that bike unless/until the aforementioned tire(s) is/are replaced, and is currently not a happy camper. SO, Pirelli sells a couple new tires tomorrow and Michelin loses a customer.

[It has taken more than one marriage to hammer Rule #1 into my thick head: if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody-- especially not me-- gonna be happy until mama gets happy again! So mama gets new tires, period. ;)]

I suppose I'll stay with my Classics at least until the end of this year's riding season. I'll keep an eye on the split and try not to think about it too much whilst in the twisties. I suspect I'll have a good bit of the tread shot by then anyway.

Thanks again.

Dave

·
Registered
724 Posts
I hear ya. When I first noticed it I had been going through some fairly tight stuff so the tires were pretty warm when I came to the end of the road, took a short break and usually do a quick check of the tires when I saw what looks like a razor “Cut”, so I’m not liking that much!!!! ….got home after a couple of stops and the tire had cooled down a fair amount. I went to look at it closer with a loop and I could hardly see it or even find it. I thought maybe, just maybe I ran over something buy the looks of it except it was only one revolution of the tire, not spread around like if it were to catch whatever cut it with more then one revolution.. So it HAD to be a defect…. So I thought…!!!

It would almost be gone (the rubber wearing down) then open up again, then get to a point were it looked like I wore through it and then open up again. I think what happens is the carbon empties the groove and leaves this open slit where it once was occupied with carbon???

Bottom line: I’m not concerned with it anymore. After talking to the Michelin guy who knew what was going on, I still had a few concerns, but after running them as much as I have my concerns are gone. It is how they are made -- weird yes, but it really isn’t an issue. You tires are fine. :cool:

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
No big deal I would think... Looks like you got about 10 good burnouts left in them may as well have some fun if you are going to trash them....I drove a F 350 loaded with welding machine 200 feet of heavy cable, oxy acetltene bottles 300lbs of rod, 100lbs of mud at 70mph with a 3"X14" patch of and a patch about 3"X6" of rubber gone, Just the cord showing Took it back to the yard and told the mechanic to check out the front end because of the shimmy in it , Next mornimg asked if he looked at it ? Yea said it was fine ,Then made him go out and look at it again . Could have hung him out to dry, but didn't.. Those tires should be fine.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Don't worry about them, I have worn 6 pilot power rear tires down to the cord and that line has shown up on each and every one of them at some point in the wear cycle and I have never had a problem with any of them.

·
Senior Italophile
867 Posts
Don't worry about them, I have worn 6 pilot power rear tires down to the cord and that line has shown up on each and every one of them at some point in the wear cycle and I have never had a problem with any of them.
+1

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
I've had an issue w/ my Michelin PP. thousands of tiny cracks all around the circumference of the tire in the "chicken strip" stripe. My tire is two years old now and was made several months before it was sold to me. So it's not age.I contacted Michelin and they gave me a BS story I guess. The Bridgestones and Conti's on my XX never did this.
Michelin did however send me a decal pack ( bribe ?:D) and said thanks.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
TWO YEARS!!! How on earth does a motorcycle tire reach that kind of age?

·
Senior Italophile
867 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Time for tires....

I love Michelins from my slicks for the track to the Pilot Powers for commuting.. Two sets of rims.. Never had issues. My commuters get about 3500 miles on them and I switch them out. Sportbiketrackgear.com has incredible prices on tire sets.

Sounds like your going to a different brand though.

My only good advice for you is to constantly check your tire pressures.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts