Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems the third Motogp race that was scheduled for Austin is becoming less likely as time passes. Nothing on their site even mentions Motogp for 2013 and they're already discussing events for next year (V8 Super Cars is planned). Really too bad. This venue would have done nothing but help increase motorcycle racing's exposure and impact in the States.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
316 Posts
Its because motoGP stock is dwindling. With the top rider in the sport, Casey Stoner walking away at 26 yrs of age, and also Ben Spies, not to mention the failed CRT idea, its not looking good. Tracks like this are scared to invest.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its because motoGP stock is dwindling. With the top rider in the sport, Casey Stoner walking away at 26 yrs of age, and also Ben Spies, not to mention the failed CRT idea, its not looking good. Tracks like this are scared to invest.
Especially here in the States where motorcycle racing takes a very distant second place to the cars. Even though I don't like it, I can't blame the investors for their caution, especially in this climate of recession.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Its a crying shame too. I was just looking at some recent photos of the track and it looks like a downright beautiful facility:cool:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Its a crying shame too. I was just looking at some recent photos of the track and it looks like a downright beautiful facility:cool:
Some of the elevation changes look incredible, I cant wait to see some races there!

·
Registered
117 Posts
From motorcycle.com in their Laguna Seca report.

"Lastly, word from the rumor mill at Laguna has Dorna in talks with track management at the new Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas. Discussions revolved around CotA hosting a MotoGP round, possibly in 2013. The new track, which is soon to be completed, is on schedule to host a Formula 1 return to U.S. soil later this year. If a deal is struck to bring MotoGP to Austin, the Indianapolis round would likely get the axe."

I hope this means that MotoGP in Texas is still possibly coming!

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Texas Hill country is an excellent place to ride to and around. Only 200 miles away too.

Bring it on.

bob

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Austin seems like a better place to have a race than Laguna, Indy, or Miller.

Laguna: access stinks, track has no real straight to let the monsters loose. Like racing on a postage stamp. Without the corkscrew Laguna would be just another local track.

Indy: facilities are world-class, but the place is so huge bikes look like ants on the track. It absolutely drawfs motorcycles and ruins any sense of "intimacy" you might have. The exact opposite of Laguna.

Miller: Nice (if uninspiring) track in the middle of nowhere, my guess is 95% of the people going to that track have to fly in.

Once Formula 1 holds their race in Texas this fall I think interest will pick up about the track. For many until you actually see vehicles in anger it is hard to tell if it will be a good track or not. Austin offers many intangibles that Indianapolis or espeically Salt lake do not. There is a great night life and plenty of places for wives to spend money while there.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Maybe WSBK will pick up a round at CotA's I am heading to the F1 race in November, can't wait. Riding over from Phx should be a good time.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Austin seems like a better place to have a race than Laguna, Indy, or Miller.

Laguna: access stinks, track has no real straight to let the monsters loose. Like racing on a postage stamp. Without the corkscrew Laguna would be just another local track.

Indy: facilities are world-class, but the place is so huge bikes look like ants on the track. It absolutely drawfs motorcycles and ruins any sense of "intimacy" you might have. The exact opposite of Laguna.

Miller: Nice (if uninspiring) track in the middle of nowhere, my guess is 95% of the people going to that track have to fly in.

Once Formula 1 holds their race in Texas this fall I think interest will pick up about the track. For many until you actually see vehicles in anger it is hard to tell if it will be a good track or not. Austin offers many intangibles that Indianapolis or espeically Salt lake do not. There is a great night life and plenty of places for wives to spend money while there.
Except for the one little fact about fan base. What Laguna has and the others lack is the proximity of the fan base. The majority of motorcycles sold in this country are sold here in California, specifically Northern CA. That is why Ducati moved its US headquarters to Cupertino from the east coast.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Texas Hill country is an excellent place to ride to and around. Only 200 miles away too.

Bring it on.

bob
Our daughter manages a Victoria Secret in Austin. The wife and I really enjoy visiting her. Austin is a great town.

·
Registered
316 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
I see no reason why it would not happen, the track is coming along nicely (I actually got to peak at it a couple months ago) the focus now is on F1 which is just a couple months away, if they can pull of F1 there is no reason that they can not pull off a Motogp race. how ever I am sure the people at motogp, would like to see how the F1 race goes before making any further commitments.

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
"well it never made sense in the first place so no surprise to me its dying. The only place to hold a MotoGP race in the USA is CA. No-one else is even vaguely interested"

Laguna: "Dorna officials claim attendance figures were slightly higher this year than last. This year’s three-day event total of 137,221 was a slight bump from the 136K in 2011. It seemed to us the stands were less occupied this time, especially on Saturday. Race-day attendance of 52,677 was basically unchanged."

Indy: "ATTENDANCE: MotoGP estimated the fifth Red Bull Indianapolis GP attendance to be 65,372. The combined attendance Friday through Sunday was 134,795."

1 - 20 of 194 Posts