Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new to this board and new to Ducati ownership. I recently moved to satisfy my craving for something red and Italian, buying a 97 900 SP on Ebay. The odometer shows just under 1200 miles, but the bike has been down and has body damage. Once I received the bike I began collection parts (cam belts, spark plugs, oil filter etc) to freshen up the motor. I pulled the oil drain plug and was disappointed to see a lot of metal fragments. They look like some kind of bearing cage or something. Hoping someone on this board can recognize these and give me a clue where to look. I am thinking its a transmission part but its just a guess. I have not yet run the bike.

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. When I bought this I wasn't looking for a major engine rebuild type project. I think I could part the bike out and recover most of what I have into it. Hoping further responses to this thread will help me make that decision. I paid 2600 for the bike plus 600 in shipping fee's and of course 9% Washington State sales tax, license fees etc. Arg. Maybe I should go ahead and finish with the oil change, get it running and see how it sounds before making any rash decisions. What do you guys think?

Thanks

Jim:think:

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Thanks for the response. When I bought this I wasn't looking for a major engine rebuild type project. I think I could part the bike out and recover most of what I have into it. Hoping further responses to this thread will help me make that decision. I paid 2600 for the bike plus 600 in shipping fee's and of course 9% Washington State sales tax, license fees etc. Arg. Maybe I should go ahead and finish with the oil change, get it running and see how it sounds before making any rash decisions. What do you guys think?

Thanks

Jim:think:
You could break a lot of very expensive parts doing that, but obviously someone ran it with this part already broken. This isn't something you can just "listen" to and then decide "it's ok". You've got a serious problem. The SP is the expensive version of this bike. It's worth fixing. I wouldn't part it out. That would be a shame. You may just have to take the engine apart and replace one part! It's not rocket science, but you do need tools and a work space.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe I will bring my fragmets to the local dealer to see if someone can provide any insight. Thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I hate to say it but this reminds me of the thread where the guy put the NOS energy drink in his bike thinking it would fix the fact that it wasn't running right...then was 'too busy' to drain the tank and take care of it in a timely manner....then simply couldn't understand why the bike had so many issues.

Think about it man! You have chunks of metal attached to the magnetic drain plug...something is definitely wrong.

When I had something similar happen to my 750 sport it ended up being that the factory over tightened some bolts to the crank and it ended up bending the crank and thus shaving the cylinder walls thanks to that bent crank and required an entire engine rebuild....would have cost me more than I paid for the bike...easily over $5k...but Ducati NA covered it under a warranty even though it was over 2 years old and was bought used...

Why in the world would you just fill er back up and run it to see how it sounds? That's asking for disaster!:eek:

·
Registered
729 Posts
Dont assume anything. And dont rip into until you figure exactly where the bits are from. They look rather strange, not shiny but dull gray, almost rubbery or carbon like. Are they soft are hard? Also pull the screen and oil filter and have a look. Clearly the are bits from a specific area of the engine, better to figure it out before tearing into it. Fixing a wrongly diagnosed problem can be as expensive fixing a correctly diagnosed one.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Looks like the lower main bearing journals to me, surely a total tear down either way. If that stuff was in the oil, the cylinder walls and pistons are suspect to scoring and damage.

If you do part it out, you'll make your money back for sure. Contrary to what people will tell you here, a 900SS SP is not THAT special where you'd have to feel compelled to save it.

Look out for yourself, part if you can't do the work yourself, otherwise you'll spend way too much money on it. Hopefully you paid with PayPal on Ebay so you can reverse the charge and get the seller back. I'm sure he knew what he was selling you.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Another way would be to track down a used motor then pull the one you have late to see what the problem is. There were a lot of 900 carby Monster made.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Another way would be to track down a used motor then pull the one you have late to see what the problem is. There were a lot of 900 carby Monster made.

;) that is what I would do,pull the motor and replace with used and if you want rebuild the other motor and upgrades as your wallet allows. This way you can still ride it.

The motor is a good start to restore the bike and do the frame in the winter months.:think:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To answer pjonte, the fragments are steel and quit hard. I did look at the screen and it was surprisingly clean. Just a few small bits but nothing like the collection on the drain plug. Think I will end up pulling the motor then assessing the damage from the inside. If its extensive I will part it out. I did like the fact that I ended up with a '97 where many of the issues were supposedly corrected, but I can't justify putting a ton of money into it. Live and learn I guess.

Thank You

Jim G.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
My guess on the fragments is part of a bearing race. Look carefully at the smaller end bearings on the transmission shafts. Also inspect the jackshaft bearings as they are a similar size and too tight belts could eat them up.None of the bearings are super expensive and the engine is pretty easy to work on.Plus you can install those hi comp pistons they all need.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts