Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not the typical question! 2002 748 with 11,000 miles was serviced today. There were a couple small chrome flakes on the screen- nothing like I have seen in pics online. Very small but definitely chrome. I know prior to me buying the bike it had at least one mega Cycle rocker put in.

The mechanic said it’s very possible the flakes were there that a lot of shops don’t ever remove and clean the screen. He recommended making sure we cleaned everything good and installing the new filter and oil and seeing what it looks like next service. Which will be next year since I put 1,000 miles on a year on this bike. He is going to cut open the oil filter to see how that looks but that will be next week sometime.

What’s your thoughts here? I trust him 100% so I feel good about seeing where we are at in 1,000 miles!

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,391 Posts
It can take many oil changes before all the chrome particles come out of the motor.
I always remove the oil screen first before the drain plug as that way there is a forcible blast of out coming out the gallery giving a good natural flush which helps remove any remaining debris.
Don't know if your mechanic does it that way but it worked for me.

//davy

Reactions: 2004 999s

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It can take many oil changes before all the chrome particles come out of the motor.
I always remove the oil screen first before the drain plug as that way there is a forcible blast of out coming out the gallery giving a good natural flush which helps remove any remaining debris.
Don't know if your mechanic does it that way but it worked for me.

//davy
Not sure on that. The bike is absolutely babied, always warmed up to 140* before I ride, gets the best oil/filters etc. I love her with all my heart and knew this day could come! I just believed it wouldn’t!

·
8,391 Posts
Your probably worrying about nothing.
If it's that big an issue too you then swap them all out for Megacycle ones and have done with it.
It took about 6 oil changes to get rid of the crap out of mine.
Stop worrying so much and just ride it.

//ocr

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your probably worrying about nothing.
If it's that big an issue too you then swap them all out for Megacycle ones and have done with it.
It took about 6 oil changes to get rid of the crap out of mine.
Stop worrying so much and just ride it.

//ocr
That’s the plan but I was just curious on owner experience here!

·
Premium Member
5,893 Posts
That’s the plan but I was just curious on owner experience here!
I also have an '02, albeit an R so slightly different internals. I have had to replace just a single exhaust side rocker over 9000m... as you can see there is a fairly significant chunk of chroming missing from the rocker, but what showed up in the screen were nothing but tiny fragments. Nothing that would suggest that there was a piece of chroming missing of this size.

The takeaway, at least IMO, is that I will no longer rely on what I find in the screen to determine whether or not to inspect the rockers. At this point, I was content to just replace this one on an as needed basis, but this kind of put the fear of god in me and I may just throw in the towel and have them all replaced next year.

Attachments

·
8,391 Posts
The biggest problem on the 916/748/996 is that the oil feed to the heads is taken off before the filter so any nasty bits get pumped straight back to the valve gear.
On a 916/996 that crap gets in the oil cooler as well as the heads but the 748 doesn't have one so it's all going back up top.
After I built my new 853 I fitted an extra oil filter in the line before the heads and made a finned jacket for it to cool the oil as a bonus so all my heads get is cool clean oil.

//davy

Attachments

Reactions: ProphetPVD

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I replace at least 1 rocker every 1,500 miles. Back when I was on the road, it was at least 1 per standard service interval. A couple of times it was 3+.

Flacking rockers is nothing to worry about, just like changing the oil isn't something to worry about. It's general maintenance on the old desmos.

The thing to worry about, is knowing which oil is the best oil.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I replace at least 1 rocker every 1,500 miles. Back when I was on the road, it was at least 1 per standard service interval. A couple of times it was 3+.

Flacking rockers is nothing to worry about, just like changing the oil isn't something to worry about. It's general maintenance on the old desmos.

The thing to worry about, is knowing which oil is the best oil.
That’s easy...Shell Advance 10W-40!

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Or is it Motul? Or Shell T6? Or Mobil 15-50? I was joking on the oil bit. Just fishing for a best oil thread.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
I'm dumb and had more money than sense at the time so I ended up replacing all the rockers in my 748 when I did the valves the first time and a few were flaking. Pricy but now I don't have to worry about it ever again, hopefully, haha. Now any flakes of metal will just hopefully signify an even bigger problem then some flaking rockers!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I also have an '02, albeit an R so slightly different internals. I have had to replace just a single exhaust side rocker over 9000m... as you can see there is a fairly significant chunk of chroming missing from the rocker, but what showed up in the screen were nothing but tiny fragments. Nothing that would suggest that there was a piece of chroming missing of this size.

The takeaway, at least IMO, is that I will no longer rely on what I find in the screen to determine whether or not to inspect the rockers. At this point, I was content to just replace this one on an as needed basis, but this kind of put the fear of god in me and I may just throw in the towel and have them all replaced next year.

That rocker arm isn’t flaking. This missing chrome is from the removal of the cams. Anyone who has worked on these bikes a few times could attest to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
At this point, I was content to just replace this one on an as needed basis, but this kind of put the fear of god in me and I may just throw in the towel and have them all replaced next year.
Hmm, something has been grinding that rocker but its not chrome related, I wouldnt do anything now, jobs already done.
Next time Id like to know what ground that little groove, thats all.

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
Chrome problems is cracked surface, this will only occur by the engine pounding and sheers big patches off.
Ducati didnt quite have the hang of hiring the right people for making this happen at the time, and they deny deny deny.
Testastretta and onwards show no signs of it. -- From here on they got it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts