Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already own a 2013 848. It's been very nicely setup with DucShop's Triples and Rear Link and full Ohlins. It's a wonderful bike. I take it to Arkansas and ride it on the track. For around town, long distance back country cruising or commuting though it is not perfect.

I like both the Hyper and the Monster. The Monster looks more comfortable but the Hyper seems more fun. Both can have bags added easily so they could support very long runs.

I'm just curious what the community feelings are. I'm not interested in a cruiser. The bike will be used for around town stuff, occasionally commuting to work and rides around Northern Arkansas (I'll continue trailering the bike). Depending upon how the bike grows on my I might attempt rides in to West Texas, New Mexico and Colorado. I'm looking for something to support something like the stories in "Ghost of Scootertrash Past". I'd like to ride a lot more than I am now and the 848 while insanely great doesn't really seem to support that.

Does anybody have long term experience with both? I'm really interested to read about how people have gotten on with these bikes.

·
Super Moderator
5,755 Posts
A couple of years ago I rode down from Boston to Deals Gap for ECM with 2 buddies from Maine who rode Monsters and didn't seem too beat up after the trip. Also had a chance to ride a friend's hyper while there, wow what a fun bike. You probably need to spend an hour on each to know which one suits you better.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I have significant seat time on all 3 of those bikes... you cant go wrong with a monster, probably one of the best "all around" bike on the market going back the last 20 years. To me the monster has always felt more like a sport bike, with a "detuned riding" position, and of course less power. The hyper is also a very good bike, more comfortable then it looks, more suspension travel then the monster, and more upright riding position. Both bikes suffer from lack of wind protection on the hwy, upright riding position with nothing to tuck behind, it gets to be a pain in the ass especially in Texas where 85mph is the norm. The multistrada might be worth a look especially if you are looking at some long distance rides.

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,189 Posts
Neither of them was made to do serious touring, but they are both great choices to ride around the town.

The most significant difference between the monster and the hyper is the riding position. I like the Hyper better because I have a long dirt bike background and the riding position feels natural for me. The Monster's position is closer to a sport bike.

I would also take into account the engine type. Both Monsters and Hypers are available in the second hand market with air or water-cooled engines.
Water-cooled are more powerful but need higher revs to find that power. Air-cooled are not as powerful but have massive torque in the low RPMs and that makes them incredibly fun to ride even at low speeds.

Happy shopping!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really appreciate the feedback. I had not given wind protection much thought, so thanks for that. However, for real 'long distance' stuff I'll probably throw the bike (or bikes) on a trailer. I have nothing to prove. Living around Dallas I've seen plenty of crap roads and have no problem trailering my bike to where to roads are good so I can focus on enjoying the ride. This past summer I got to drive Arkansas 123 and 21 and I'm really looking forward to returning with a bike. The Mustang was a blast but being on a bike changes everything.

To give you an idea of the long term plan: RV w/ a toy hauler that will carry the Mustang, 2 bikes with support gear. My plans do not include golfing. Ever. Just a steady diet of hiking with my dogs, camping, race tracks and mountain roads.

·
Beta Tester
1,957 Posts
Keep in mind that a Hyper is not only a great street bike, but also can handle some trail/light off-road riding.

There are even a few maniacs (varmintcong) on this forum that do serious off-road riding on their Hypers:)

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
It also depends how fast you ride. A buddy of mine had a Hyper, and he spent a few days riding with Multis, and SF's. After a couple of hours of running faster, he definitely would look tired and frazzled. Great bike, but your up in the wind just that much more than a Monster. Hyper, Monster, SF/Multi, Pani. Hyper 0-60, Monster 20-90, SF/Multi 30-130, Pani 40-160mph. You know, each bike has its purpose and sweet spot. Just matters what you are interested in.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@proheli - on the street I keep things pretty sane. I have access to race tracks when I want to really twist on the throttle. But I can definitely imagine that an hour on the hyper at 85mph could become a drag. However, I believe there are after market accessories that could help address this if I want to do long distances on the high way. The loop I do in Arkansas doesn't really provide the opportunity to maintain 70mph+ speeds for very long. Once you're off 62 the road doesn't really straighten out too much. Just lots of nice corners and hills to enjoy.
@thelumox's point about the off road capabilities is very appealing to me. This would open up some new possibilities. For instance: The road through Devil's Den features a fairly long low water bridge that depending upon the time of year can be a no go for a sport bike (848) but probably doable for a super moto. This would allow me to connect a loop from Fayetteville to Van Buren that skips the main roads almost entirely. AR69 is a blast to drive, but I don't want to use 540 (or whatever it is now) even in a car - boring.

I think I'm going to have to get some blackmail material and get AMS to loan me one of each for a week each so I can get first hand experience. I don't think I'll be unhappy either way.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
The biggest problem with a Hyper is the range if you have
some power mods and ride it (like it wants to be ridden) you
will get less than 100 miles to a full tank. You can have the
bigger tank from Ca Cycle Works but then you cant have
Stacks that made the tank a no go for me more fun > than
more range.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I haven't ridden a monster but I have friends who do. I can definitely see that I have more fun on the hyper in the twisties.

Close to perfect ergonomics for all around riding. I purchased motech panniers for light touring and groceries.

Easy to flick around, no limits riding in the city, did I mention crazy fun on twisted roads.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I haven't ridden a monster but I have friends who do. I can definitely see that I have more fun on the hyper in the twisties.

Close to perfect ergonomics for all around riding. I purchased motech panniers for light touring and groceries.

Easy to flick around, no limits riding in the city, did I mention crazy fun on twisted roads.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@hypermo - Given my actual riding abilities more power is not high on my list. Upgrades to suspension (if needed) would come long before finding more power. As such a bigger gas tank to get more range (an actual concern in some areas I'd like to go) would be quite welcome.

As I said: I'm going to have to figure out a way to 'borrow' each one for a week so I can get a clear idea of what I'm getting in to with these bike.

·
Bon Vivant
11,117 Posts
This review hits the nail on the head of why most people buy a 1st
Gen Hypermotard.
Memorable Motorcycles Hypermotard - Motorcycle USA
hmm that review is pretty old and the guy writing it seems to be a guy who spends most of his time on antique bikes. I'm sure the modern Hyper seems like magic to him, kinda like a tribe deep in the amazon seeing a lighter for the first time...

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
Have you considered the Hyperstrada?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I owned the 821 HM for a year and became a 1200s owner about three weeks ago.

For me, the HM was a hoot to ride, especially after upgrading the suspension. The clutch and power delivery was a bit wonky, but you could learn your way around it (a much discussed topic in the subforum. I didn't even mind long highway miles on it. It was most at home in the city or the twisties.

What I didn't like was the reliability. I had a coil failure take out my dash one month out of warranty. My dealer hadn't seen a often, but they considered it a known/expensive issue. There are a fair amount of starter issues reported too (also expensive). After dodging a bullet with the dash/coils (Ducati covered it), I didn't feel like I could trust it and traded it in.

I gave the 821 Monster a test ride while deciding between it and the 1200s. I thought the 821 clutch/power delivery was much better with the Monster than the HM. It was going to need a complete suspension overhaul as it was pogoing everywhere (I'm a big guy), but it was much better than I expected.

After the 821 ride I took out the 1200s...wow! The power delivery was so smooth/consistent and it felt well planted. I rode it around for 30 minutes, but I was sold after 5. Three weeks later, no regrets! The engine break-in period is killing me, but that'll be over next week! It's just so smooth/predictable and it's only going to get better after being re-sprung for me. I purchased the full 6-year warranty and plan on keeping it for a long time!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I haven't ridden a monster but I have friends who do. I can definitely see that I have more fun on the hyper in the twisties. .
I traded my first gen hypermotard in on a 1200S Monster. I didn't have more fun on the Hyper than I do on the 1200S.

I'm not saying you aren't having more fun, I'm saying the bike may have nothing to do with it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts