Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever hear what sounds like a chirping sound (kind of like a bird chirping) coming from the chain side of the bike while under light to moderate acceleration? Over the past week or so this sound has appeared on my 1100 EVO and I can't pinpoint where it's coming from. Bending down while riding isn't sufficient to pinpoint it. ONLY makes the sound while accelerating in the lower gears (4th and up not so much), and never while coasting, braking, or off the throttle.

Within the last month I put a supersprox 14T front sprocket on and adjusted the chain tension to spec. Upon inspection everything still looks good and tight.

I had also pulled my spark plugs to check them and thought maybe one of them was loose, but nope.

The only other moving parts are the wheels and brake rotors, but sound only occurs under acceleration, and it really seems like it's coming from the left side engine area more than the front or back wheels.

This is making me nervous, but nothing is obvious. Maybe its just the chain rubbing on the guide, but then somebody else must also have heard it by now.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, if anyone has the same problem ever, it turned out to just be a chain needing some lube. I had lubed it when I swapped the sprocket out, but I guess 500 miles goes by quicker than I had thought. Chain looked sort of dry on the surface. A little PJ1 took care of the sound.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Cheap fix then! :)

Personally I find 500 miles to be excessive - if I go out for a long days ride then the chain will get a light lube when I get back, regardless of mileage... the lube will quickly get used up as soon as you are riding, wouldnt hurt to keep it topped up?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Changing one sprocket only with lots of miles on the chain that has streched can make a noise.
Plus O ring chain need very little lube on the outside,excessive lube wears the chain it atracks sand and grit.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All good points. I typically try to re-lube every 200 miles, but this last time I slipped past 500 miles before I even knew it. In my particular case the bike was new with only about 1800 miles on it when I changed the front sprocket, so chain parts were practically new. I had just never head this sort of sound before on my cruiser, even when I did lapse on relube, however that was no ducati!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Changing one sprocket only with lots of miles on the chain that has streched can make a noise.
Plus O ring chain need very little lube on the outside,excessive lube wears the chain it atracks sand and grit.

Valid point - but am using this, so very little stickiness to it like a normal chain lube?

wurth dry chain lube 500ml high performance product every bikers must have | eBay

Creates a thin non-tacky film on the chain - as you say, the inside of the chain is sealed but the outside will wear quickly/overheat if not lubricated enough, & then you get this:

Little and often works for me. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts