Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Chip question

4242 Views 20 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  tahoest2
The 1998 ST2 that I have came with a UltiMap UM 161 installed. I have the original Chip that is marked St2 USA 067U. Someone recently told me that my bike would run much better with the original chip installed.

I know next to nothing about the subject so I thought I'd ask here.

I guess 'running better' leaves a lot of questions. I'm not looking for better gas mileage, just the best running bike I can have. I live at 6,000 feet and my bike runs like crap up here compared to sea level. Not only is the 3,900 rpm stumble terrible at altitude but just overall it's unreal how nice the bike is at sea level.

Anyway, someone mentioned that my bike runs to lean and that I should swap back the original chip.

I should also note that I have gianelli pipes.

thanks.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
209 Posts
lets try the simple stuff first. when did you last change the spark plugs and are they standard plugs or iridium and at what gap? how many miles on the airfliter? these are all easy and inexpensive to replace and will give you a firm foundation for further troubleshooting.
edit; when was the last valve check/adjustment that you have had done or have firm documentation on.

· Registered
209 Posts
the st2 fi seems to have a narrow window for compensating since the system requires a chip change for a different exhaust. hard to say if it is over compensating for lack of o2 which would be a large swing in the add air direction or can not make the large change required and is rich. given the narrow band available it could very well be outside the adjustment range.

· Registered
209 Posts
you can change the amount of air entering the system, by opening or closing off the air intake without changing the fuel supply to the injectors as there does not seem to be a sensor on the air intake volume. some duct tape across the intake will make the system richer, removing the snorkels will make the system leaner.you make some easily reversible changes and see if there are any improvements.

· Registered
209 Posts
like i said earlier open the air box, it works for carb equipped bikes without the use of a turbo, doesn't cost anything to try except a few minutes of your time and is reversible. you might ask the same questions over on the advrider forum, many of those folks are going up and down and may already have a workable solution.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.