Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 1998 ST2 that I have came with a UltiMap UM 161 installed. I have the original Chip that is marked St2 USA 067U. Someone recently told me that my bike would run much better with the original chip installed.

I know next to nothing about the subject so I thought I'd ask here.

I guess 'running better' leaves a lot of questions. I'm not looking for better gas mileage, just the best running bike I can have. I live at 6,000 feet and my bike runs like crap up here compared to sea level. Not only is the 3,900 rpm stumble terrible at altitude but just overall it's unreal how nice the bike is at sea level.

Anyway, someone mentioned that my bike runs to lean and that I should swap back the original chip.

I should also note that I have gianelli pipes.

thanks.

· Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Er, um yeah... You are speaking greek to me...

You could try trimming the pot to see what kind of results you obtain in your area; LH rich and RH lean. Be very careful to note when you have reached the limits as you can damage the pot if forced beyond its travel.

· Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bike is at the shop right now, should have it back in a few days. I can't remember the name of the electronic gizmo my mechanic is going to hook up to my bike but he's going to test it out and see how rich/lean things are set and also check the barometric gauge, etc.. His feeling is that my bike doesn't 'know' what altitude it's at and it's aligning itself accordingly. All beyond my comprehension. I'm a photographer. Ask me about fstops and shutter speeds and we're golden.

I'm hopeful that he gets it running better. Looking forward to it.

· Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks for all the input. I'm anxious to see what my mechanic comes up with. He's only at about 4,500 ft elevation but understands what my issues are. After I get it back it will be interesting to see if it runs any different. I hope that I don't get it running well at altitude but poorly at sea level?

I will for sure post with results, good or bad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.