Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently tried the original chip for my 1998ST2. Bike ran like crap. I tried it because at altitude my bike struggled and had a pretty good dead spot at 3,900. It wound up being worse with the stock chip, backfiring, stuttering, etc.. So I decide to put the 161 back in. The bike runs so much better than before with the same 161 chip.

Could it be possible that my 161 wasn't seated properly? It's night and day. I rode the factory chip about 150 miles and it had to go.

Should removing and re-installing be a trouble shooting technique?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Factory chips are crap

I have a 2007 ST3. I ran the bike in from new for 1000km before installing Termi Sports pipes and Sports ECU. The original factory ECU would surge or cycle up and down for no reason, even on flat roads and the throttle held firm. The sports ECU runs like a dream, but uses a lot more fuel. I decide to try the factory ECU again at 10,000km on the clock, and had my mechanic reinstall and tune the chip to siut the sports pipes so I could get better fuel economy on long trips. It last 2 tanks of petrol before I ripped it out and went back to the Sports chip. The factory chip had the same surging and cycling that I experienced when new. I think I would have been dissapointed with the performance & purchase of my Duc if I had stuck with the factory chip. Im happy to use more fuel and enjoy the thrill, sound and feel of riding my ST3 with the Sports chip in it. Well worth the money spent and the lower fuel economy.

·
Registered
242 Posts
It should really either work or not work, but it could cause odd problems. I think your best bet is to get the mixture set with the 161 chip. It has a better fuel map that doesn't take emissions into consideration.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hands down the bike is more fun to ride with the 161 over stock. The fuel consumption difference is enormous. My light goes on at 130 miles with the 161. Hit almost 180 on the stock chip and the light still didn't go on....

Anyway, what I'm confused about is how much better my bike is running now with the 161 than it did a few weeks ago with the same chip. I have to wonder if a contact pin was perhaps dirty, etc..? I figure it would be an all or nothing, chip is either connected or not, but now I really have to wonder.

My bike was ROUGH starting at 3,500 rpm's at speeds around 35mph. At 3,900 rpm's the bike would lurch and surge, feel and sound awful. 4,000 rpm's and up bike felt awesome. Now, the bike runs extremely smooth at 6,000 ft in elevation. It actually feels like the bike would at sea level regarding the surge issue. At sea level there wasn't any issues with the bike.

Well, I will hope that whatever has happened remains as is. Maybe it's worth taking the thing out and reinstalling if the bike runs rough again?

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
It's possible that the atmospheric pressure sensor input to the computer had a bad connection. Did you move, or disconnect and reconnect the wiring harness connector to the computer?

The chip connection isn't the culprit. The bike won't run if the chip isn't inserted correctly.

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts
It's possible that the atmospheric pressure sensor input to the computer had a bad connection. Did you move, or disconnect and reconnect the wiring harness connector to the computer?

The chip connection isn't the culprit. The bike won't run if the chip isn't inserted correctly.
+1
Now that it is running better maybe you should look at disconnecting, cleaning contacts and applying dielectric grease to all electrical connections and have the bike re tuned to get the most out of it.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nothing was disconnected except for the chip.... Whatever the reason, I'm stoked... At least for now.

It's almost as if the computer didn't fully recognize the 161 chip in some odd way. Like it didn't calibrate to that chip until it was removed and reinstalled. I know that what I'm describing most likely isn't even possible. All I do know is how the bike is running now-and I'm going to leave it alone, except for the fact that I'm going to go for a ride right now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts