Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody every try them?

t_bare

·
Registered
961 Posts
i have a set on my 998. They APPEAR to be exactly the same as the more expensive ones. 4 ply reinforcement. Most needed trimming as they were a little bit long. $57 shipped.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is the benefit of silicone hoses?
Basically Bling, unless you need to change your hoses, then they are cost effective and available.

t_bare

·
Registered
961 Posts
At $57 they are about $300 cheaper than buying a full set of spare hoses from ducati for a 10+ yo bike. And they do look nice.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Nice prices. The Samco ones are probably one of the most overpriced item you can ever buy for these bikes. It's a simple hose made out of silicone and you charge 100-200 euros for those. Great to see alternatives.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Widewalker: Were you able to reuse your oem clamps? I just ordered a set :) My current hoses are dated 2001 and I believe they are due. I am seeing ooze from the reinforcement weave on the end.

t_bare

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hose clamps.

Having used them before on car projects I know that there are speciality clamps used for the silicon hoses. They are smooth inside and prevent the silicon outer layer from "oozing" out of the slots in a standard hose clamp. They are a little pricey but well worth it. Try Motowheels I believe they carry them.

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,742 Posts
The correct clamps to use are constant pressure clamps with rolled edges.
I use "Norma" stainless ones.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I used the same clamps the other guys mentioned but I cant see any problem re-using your clamps if they are in great condition. They are 4-ply reinforced so a little "squeeze" through the slots should not effect the life. They really don't need to be THAT tight anyways.

·
Premium Member
2,352 Posts
just remember your silicon may be from recycled prisoner refuse or a salvaged Russian nuke...LOL. Turn out the lights and see if they glow at night!

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,742 Posts
I used the same clamps the other guys mentioned but I cant see any problem re-using your clamps if they are in great condition. They are 4-ply reinforced so a little "squeeze" through the slots should not effect the life. They really don't need to be THAT tight anyways.
Silicone hose creeps and deforms easily under normal clamps, they are renowned for leakage in the car world and that's why constant pressure clamps are used to maintain uniform clamping force over the temp cycle range. Normal clamps just don't cut it in daily use with silicone hoses.

·
Premium Member
2,352 Posts
Silicone hose creeps and deforms easily under normal clamps
which would seem to me to be a call to ensure the silicon is not made of the stuff I mentioned.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Nice prices. The Samco ones are probably one of the most overpriced item you can ever buy for these bikes. It's a simple hose made out of silicone and you charge 100-200 euros for those. Great to see alternatives.
Samco is the most overpriced item you can buy for any motor vehicle. They are the reason why I am working with Ven-Air Inc. to get hoses to market for Ford GT500's. Samco's current set price is $800, we are looking at half that at max.

Do some research on Ven-Air, they are involved in the diesel, airplane, and aerospace industry, are customer service centered and already made a great product for me in the past. I brought the first and only set of silicone hoses to market via Ven-Air for the '03-'04 Ford Mustang Cobra's.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts