Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I need fairings for my 848 I'm really fond of the hayden replica plastics. I'm not gonna buy oem invade I were to wreck. So has anyone had good luck with the China fairings. Is there a certain dealer I should avoid? Any cheap plastics in the united.states.. also the cheap rearsets on ebay. Has anyone ordered these. Please give me your info. This is my first Ducati and I'm excited. I have a cbr1000 that's my track only bike so I'm stoked to finally own a Ducati!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Don't do it. What a PITA these things are. Moulded off of the original fairings, thus they are a teeny tiny bit undersized and impossible to fit.

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,654 Posts
Don't do it. What a PITA these things are. Moulded off of the original fairings, thus they are a teeny tiny bit undersized and impossible to fit.
Absolutely wrong in the case of the ones I bought.
When a mould is cast it's bigger than the original so when a part is taken from it it is exactly the same size as the original.
Mine are still excellent.

·
Registered
105 Posts
When a mould is cast it's bigger than the original so when a part is taken from it it is exactly the same size as the original.
+1
Mine needed a rub down before painting but fit was excellent.

Cheers,
Dom

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im gonna go ahead and order the chinese fairings.. gonna get the hayden edition. i fell in love with that scheme when it first came out. so right now this bike has a full termi exhaust and the ecu. other than the airfilter its stock.. any performance mods i should do? im coming off having 1000cc inline 4 for my daily riders/track bikes. i know i shouldnt compare it to them but there what im used to.

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
I love this whole "Chinese thing" if someone said to you... Would you buy American fairings, you would ask "what company/manufacturer?"

Some people have had good experiences, some have had bad ones... Go on the thread that was just linked and check out individual sellers... They aren't all selling the same product. Good luck with your purchase.

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
I've been in the retail business for almost 20 years. I always tell my customers that you will get what you pay for. If you buy a $10.00 item don't expect it to be the same quality of a $100.00 item. Some people just don't get it.

As for the Chinese fairing buy it and experience it first hand. Otherwise you'll never know.

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,654 Posts
I've been in the retail business for almost 20 years. I always tell my customers that you will get what you pay for. If you buy a $10.00 item don't expect it to be the same quality of a $100.00 item. Some people just don't get it.

As for the Chinese fairing buy it and experience it first hand. Otherwise you'll never know.
You mean like Ducati fuel tanks :)
And come to that, I've been buying things for over 60 years and yes, there are bargains out there.

·
Banned
8,181 Posts

Sometimes yes, sometimes competition makes the whole market cheaper AND better (or at least equal). Adapt or fall behind, but this is the same argument that was made about Japanese products 30 years ago...

Just be selective of your manufacturer... A plastic mold is a plastic mold, and the material is SOURCED in china... This isnt rocket science, even they've figured out how to make a fairing work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
From my experience, ebay plastics can be good quality, with a good fit.

However, the paint is sub-par. You can expect overspray. Paint is single stage with no clear to keep costs down. Fading and spotting will occur. My paint started to faint and "spot" after 2 seasons, have seen it on other bikes too. My bike is stored inside in a climate controlled garage, and my 06 gixxer ages just fine.

I think ebay fairings are a good starting point if you plan to put the time in that the guys east don't. If you're willing to spend your time on prep and paint they can look good.

·
Premium Member
977 Posts

However, the paint is sub-par. You can expect overspray. Paint is single stage with no clear to keep costs down. Fading and spotting will occur. My paint started to faint and "spot" after 2 seasons, have seen it on other bikes too. My bike is stored inside in a climate controlled garage, and my 06 gixxer ages just fine.

I think ebay fairings are a good starting point if you plan to put the time in that the guys east don't. If you're willing to spend your time on prep and paint they can look good.
That is what I meant to say. It will not be perfect there are a lot of short cut to make the product.

The Chinese can make quality product, but their thing is to make it cheap and sell a lot of it by the millions.

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
When the price difference is so huge...l can afford to change plastics every year if spotting occurs... Or spend a few hour finishing the product. Still seems like an overwhelmingly good value proposition to me.

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
When the price difference is so huge...l can afford to change plastics every year if spotting occurs... Or spend a few hour finishing the product. Still seems like an overwhelmingly good value proposition to me.
I totally agree with you. There are some people just does not understand that. They buy something very low price and expect it to be OEM quality.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
As a prior GT owner, that was funny as hell. You would think for premo dollars spent on that bike you would get a tank that doesn't warp. And, there are some deals out there but agree most of the time you get what you pay for.

My preference is to buy used Ducati OEM fairings, and repaint if needed. I have not owned a newer series superbike and can's speak for those model, but the OEM paint and fairing quality of the xx9 bikes is outstanding

You mean like Ducati fuel tanks :)
And come to that, I've been buying things for over 60 years and yes, there are bargains out there.

·
Registered
116 Posts

My experience was as stated for a ZX-10R set I bought. Looked great, but tabs broke easy and did not fit the bike well.

·
Registered
42 Posts

I bought a set from "Delkevic". They are a US supplier of the Chinese stuff. Most of it mounted-up OK, but the tailsection was about 1/2in too narrow and was an absolute beyotch to try to install. and ended-up cracking by the tail lamp. The paint actually looked great for about 90 days, then it actually started to crack. I mean cracks in the paint all over the place.....like the paint shrunk as it cured, or something.

The supplier was a "stand-up" outfit and replaced them for me, but basically acknowledged there was an issue w/ the paint and couldn't guarantee it wouldn't happen again.

Oddly enough, on the second set, the tail section mounted-up nice and easy.

I tend to agree . . .you get what you pay for, but for the price of OEM, it's kinda hard to ignore the Chinese stuff.

I bought 'em for trackday use, and my pristine OEM body panels on wrappped up in my basement.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Never chinese plast!!!!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Never!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts