Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Keeping with the adage " There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions", are the chinese "Exact Fit" belts I just bought good to go?Thanks, did not know they were made in P.R.C until they arrived.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am on my second set of Exact Fit Belts and will soon be installing my third. The first belt (stock) was changed at 15K. I put on an exact fit and ran it about 17K (I was on a trip). The exact fit I have now has 13K on it. I will be putting another exact fit on in about 2k.
I have had zero problems so far.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Jeeze, if I recall correctly, the factory belts aren't even that expensive! Is this a place where you really want to boast of saving a few bucks?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are absolutly correct. I thought about it last night and wondered what I was thinking even asking that question. I'm sure those belts work fine, but I simply can't gamble my mill for $60. So , I'll eat the china belts and get the Duc belts. Lesson learned, at $60 a credit it's a deal. cyrus

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
I'm still on my first set. But, the valve check went well and the belts still look great. I will use them for as long as I have a Duc. Chris did some excellent work getting these to market.

BTW, it isn't about saving a few bucks, but really about paying a fair price for a couple belts. There is no way Duc's price anywhere near a realistic retail markup on their belts. They are simply raking in cash by the boat load on each belt sold.

Let's not forget that Bucci was selling belts for as much for years. Chris noted when developing his that the Bucci belts did not match the profile of the originals.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
979 Posts
BTW, it isn't about saving a few bucks, but really about paying a fair price for a couple belts. There is no way Duc's price anywhere near a realistic retail markup on their belts. They are simply raking in cash by the boat load on each belt sold.
^^^^This... Just because its Chinese does not mean the quality is poor. CA cycleworks developed these with their own standard f quality, not china's.

To be completely honest... I find that SO many parts on my bike are just crap. Just because it's from Italy does not mean it is great, they are just as capable of making crap as well.

Exact fit belts are awesome and are a way more appropriate price.

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
To be completely honest... I find that SO many parts on my bike are just crap. Just because it's from Italy does not mean it is great, they are just as capable of making crap as well.
^^^^^^^^ And that! :eek: :think:

Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
Potential quality issues aside, some may have an ideological / moral issue with purchasing goods made in China due to the country's human rights violations, shady trade practices and copy rights violations -"cheep Chinese knock-offs". I kind of fit this category but have come to the realization that it cannot be avoided if you plan to purchase needed goods in this day and age. Until countries, like the US, can get exorbitant union costs and government over-regulation under control, this is our reality. I will be installing my first set of Exact fit belts very soon and have no reservations (quality wise) doing so. I feel it's a bit dumb to pay twice the price an item is worth for the name on the box. My ideology is contrary to that as well... Lesser of two evils!

·
Registered
965 Posts
9k. Will change out in about 500 miles.

·
Registered
426 Posts
You all realize that Gates rubber company has more then one HUGE plant in China right?
Everyone makes crap and everyone makes gold too. No one makes a better product then what is spec'd on the print. Two seemingly identical parts can be made in the same plant with same people but to different specs one will last... one is made from compressed Dog Pooh and will break if you look at it wrong.

That being said when possible i try to buy made in the USA and try not to shop at box stores but mom and pop places but there are thing you just can't find....

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
Potential quality issues aside, some may have an ideological / moral issue with purchasing goods made in China due to the country's human rights violations, shady trade practices and copy rights violations -"cheep Chinese knock-offs". I kind of fit this category but have come to the realization that it cannot be avoided if you plan to purchase needed goods in this day and age. Until countries, like the US, can get exorbitant union costs and government over-regulation under control, this is our reality. I will be installing my first set of Exact fit belts very soon and have no reservations (quality wise) doing so. I feel it's a bit dumb to pay twice the price an item is worth for the name on the box. My ideology is contrary to that as well... Lesser of two evils!
Great post.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
266 Posts
china?

chris wouldn't dump some inadequately rearched belts on his loyal customers, and i prefer to support him, his company and his employees. not that i have much, but they're worth a few extra bux in that regard. if i didn't trust chris, i wouldn't gamble with them on my bike.

have heard zero reports of exactfit failures, rapid wear, or quality, in the ducatisti intranetz world.

only 3.2K on my exactfit belts, and still look new. i do detension them my 7 month off-season, and i keep the area where the belts reside spotless.

not that it matters to me, but where are the ducati belts made? anyone have an box laying around?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, The script on my old belts is just about gone, I can just make out Ducati. Is it printed where the oem Duc belts are made? I don't think it's a matter of where, but how. Don't get me wrong, if these belts did a non critical function like a fan or lawnmower blade etc, or even the final drive, they would be used. But with the bucks I got wrapped up in this ride, no. Sorry I opened this can of worms, but it begs the question "If China made a knock off Duc, would you buy it?" cyrus

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
So, you asked the question. Then, affirmed that you're considering the CA Cycleworks belts after one post. Now, you're back off after a slew of Exactfit belt users post up?

Does this stink of troll, or is it me?

BTW, the SC folks are coming to grips with Al tanks that will be coming out of India. Carry on . . .

Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
Didn't Ducati manage to keep the price low(er) on the 1098 gen SBK because they started "out sorcing" parts? Do you need a translation? I'll bet the same applies to all recent and current gen Ducs...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, you asked the question. Then, affirmed that you're considering the CA Cycleworks belts after one post. Now, you're back off after a slew of Exactfit belt users post up?

Does this stink of troll, or is it me?

BTW, the SC folks are coming to grips with Al tanks that will be coming out of India. Carry on . . .

Have a good one.
No troll, like I said, sorry I asked. Used everything else in my order(chain, filters, gaskets,seals) from CA Cycleworks, and will do business with them in the future. cyrus-out.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Jeeze, if I recall correctly, the factory belts aren't even that expensive! Is this a place where you really want to boast of saving a few bucks?
+1 oe and sleep fine
that said alot of folks have used calif cycle works belts with no issues
chris worked hard at getting that done
me I waited along time for my old 01 748 and oe only for her
dont have money to burn just dont worry about parts cost
when doing the work myself saves me so much more

·
Registered
265 Posts
"If China made a knock off Duc, would you buy it?" cyrus[/QUOTE]

isnt hysong already doing this ?
and no I would not buy one