Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not a typical chicken strip thread, I consider it a safety issue.
I don't worry about how big my chicken strips are, I know I'm not one of the fast guys.
Here is the issue.
My rear strips are about 1/2 inch but I have no front chicken strips.
I'm afraid if I take the bike over much farther I might lose the front end and lowside.
I have an 09 696 with the Bridgestone 56 tires, 31psi front, 32 rear cold.
Is it me? The tires? The bike? Is this a safety issue?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Icon.
I weigh about 155 without gear, maybe 175 geared up?
It doesn't feel like it's bottoming out.
I never brake in a curve, I roll on the throttle through the turn.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks DucMan and Steve.
My understanding is the 56 battleax is and old design.
I just hate to replace tires with 2500 miles on them but I may have to.
One of my riding buddys who is good with suspension said the front was pretty stiff.

·
Registered
65 Posts
31psi seems low to me, I would run aleast 34psi up 36psi. I would first just pump your tire up and try that. 1 or 2 psi makes a difference believe me.

Another reason can be your riding style, do you correct your line alot when cornering, just light inputs on the bars of countersteer? I had a mate who use to do that alot and his front tire was worn way out to the edge as well and very little on the rear. When a bike is cornering after the input from the rider to get it over, a bike's front wheel will turn in the direction your going but if counter that you will scrub more of your tire as your pushing the tire away from it's intended path. Does that makes sense to you?

Otherwise take it to your dealer and check your front springs etc,you may need the next spring rate in your front forks?

Anyway let us know what it was, as it helps for others who may have the same problem, cheers :)

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
31psi seems low to me, I would run aleast 34psi up 36psi. I would first just pump your tire up and try that. 1 or 2 psi makes a difference believe me.

Another reason can be your riding style, do you correct your line alot when cornering, just light inputs on the bars of countersteer? I had a mate who use to do that alot and his front tire was worn way out to the edge as well and very little on the rear. When a bike is cornering after the input from the rider to get it over, a bike's front wheel will turn in the direction your going but if counter that you will scrub more of your tire as your pushing the tire away from it's intended path. Does that makes sense to you?

Otherwise take it to your dealer and check your front springs etc,you may need the next spring rate in your front forks?

Anyway let us know what it was, as it helps for others who may have the same problem, cheers :)
Thanks looseunit, I'll bump up the pressure a little bit.
I really don"t think I change my line, what I try to do is enter the corner maybe 5 mph less than I know I can, set my line and roll on a little throttle.
It may need stiffer springs, I don't know.
The 696 has no adj. on the front.

·
Registered
172 Posts
For about 6 months in the summer I was running about 46 psi. Why? Because my gauge was broken! I was running her like this for 6 months-----hard. I think I had maybe one slight wiggle in the rear.

I have 3 gauges now and they all read 30psi, front and back.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
looseunit you nailed it man.
I went to 34 front and 36 rear and it made all the difference.
The front feels a lot more stable and after riding 50 miles of twistys
the rear strip is still about 1/2 inch, maybe a little more,
and the front is about 3/8.
Thank you.
I owe you a pop.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey no worries, glad it worked out and wasn't anything to major. Just one of those things that tire perssure is something to check every ride or once a week etc. Hard to think that 1 or 2 psi is such a big deal aye?... but it is.

Safe riding :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.