Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
safetyfish said:
My chicken strips on the other hand is directly proportional to the loan amount still owed to the bank.

man my arms are hurting under the g-force loading - there goes my brake marker - squeeeeeeze front breaks more....more...more - shiiiiiiiiite it is getting soft - dont let go of the brakes - forget about back wheel sliding out at the moment - corner is coming up fast - trust the bike will take you through it, dip it in and go with the turn - power up, power up, knee is touching, power up, second gear... not too much on the power, catch the back wheel before it starts sliding out, more, more that is it.
LOL, good times, brake less! heh ;)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
tye1138 said:
LOL, good times, brake less! heh ;)
My first approach on the first lap. Brakes are for wussies. Target fixated on the turn, went where I was looking and did not look at where I was supposed to be going. Mentally freaked out, mind told me this is going to hurt, my logic told me to just f**k it and go for it, ended up about three meters into the gravel trap with no damage to me or the bike.

Shook my head, turned the bike around and went for it again. From first time out to the last lap of the day there was a 35 second improvement. :D
Does not matter that a friend on his 695 beat me by 4 seconds per lap. Next time it will be different (how I am not too sure...... :cool: )

SF

Attachments

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Suspension tuning

For the guys that want to learn about how to set up their bikes go to www.feelthetrack.com and get the DVDs by Dave Moss "Twiddling Knobs" and
"An Introduction to Sportbike Suspension". Dave Moss is a very well known and respected figure in the suspension tuning/racing world and his DVDs are very informative and easy to understand. Delve into the black arts and mysteries of suspension tuning. Amaze your friends with your new found power of speed next track day. Get that girl you have always wanted.
Money, fame, you can have it all but you have to get Dave's videos first.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Sagerider said:
Dave Moss is a very well known and respected figure in the suspension tuning/racing world and his DVDs are very informative and easy to understand. Delve into the black arts and mysteries of suspension tuning. Amaze your friends with your new found power of speed next track day. Get that girl you have always wanted.
Money, fame, you can have it all but you have to get Dave's videos first.
LOL, sounds like you've prepared this speech! :D

Yes, having some BASIC understanding of suspension is great. And the black art knowledge, if you can remember it at the track, is very usefull. On the other side of the coin, Ducati's have other issues with geometry, the 916 series and 1098 both need a lot of work, hence why the WSB 1098 has so many different suspension components. It would be great to see a video about ALL Ducati's and making the geometry setup properly for the track. Very few people understand the validity of having a longer wheel base. They ride a xx9 bike and say; wow it handles better, but don't have a clue they can do the same thing to there old xx8 bike!

A lot of tuners won't give away there knowledge, but thats ok, a few of us will gladly pay for it... The Ducati track/race tuning DVD would be nice to have, or maybe even an book as a reference...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
safetyfish said:
My first approach on the first lap. Brakes are for wussies. Target fixated on the turn, went where I was looking and did not look at where I was supposed to be going. Mentally freaked out, mind told me this is going to hurt, my logic told me to just f**k it and go for it, ended up about three meters into the gravel trap with no damage to me or the bike.
Yep, target fixation blows... Gotta look through the corner, especially when going fast and forget about everything. At the track I love the most, people pass on EVERY corner if they can, so not only do you have to do the corner fast, so you DON'T get passed, but you've gotta worry about the exit lines and not running into the other motorcyclists or visa versa!

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I'd find it interested to hear the physics of that explained.

-don
Ask and you shall recieve:

You are interested in section 4.1.2

This is taken from a book called motorcycle dynamics from Vittore Cossalter which is a really detailed book but does require an understanding of physics, math and vectors to understand.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Ask and you shall recieve:

You are interested in section 4.1.2

This is taken from a book called motorcycle dynamics from Vittore Cossalter which is a really detailed book but does require an understanding of physics, math and vectors to understand.
Thank you for the references cited.

So in all honesty, I should reply to the post I had started.

I like how someone mentioned the size of the chicken strips on their tires is in proportion to the amount of money left on the loan...and that's one of my thoughts.

Also, here in Japan, I don't feel I can lose the last 1/2" of chicken strips on my tires safely. I wouldn't have any problem on a track, but small roads with blind turns galore, isn't my idea of a racetrack.

My riding friends are more like rider "d" in the figure above, and I'm more like rider "c"...so I was wondering why their tires would lack chicken strips and I still have 1/2", even though we travel through the turn at nearly identical speeds .

Thanks all for the input!!!

Dana

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you are riding style 'c' and your buds are riding style 'd' I only have 2 things to say...

1. You'd better be faster through the corners than they are.

2. Make sure you stay in front because one day their sidewalls aren't going to be sticky enough.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
This was the 848 that they demo'd on the track in OZ. I took the pix at Adelaide Ducati. The tyres were about to be smoothed over cos they wanted to sell the bike as 'new'. ;);):D

·
Registered
61 Posts
LOL! I mean, thats straight up the truth! Glad to see somebody who knows somethin! :D

Yep! Try it sometime on a corner you know well. Go slow, get comfortable and then increase speed. The centrifugal force will keep your tires planted and the faster you go through a corner, the more they'll grip because they're getting hotter = better grip! Of course, this is why softer compound racing tires exist and why a lot of people can leave black lines through a corner! Someday I'll do that, not today.... :rolleyes:
Sounds about right... but also, you're providing an acceleration toward the center of your turn radius, which equates to a force. Your tires get more grip due to the normal force that is generated to counter-act the inner acceleration/force.

I believe this is right, been a while since I took physics/vehicle dynamics.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thinking about it somemore....

If you were to take the same exact turn at the same exact speed and you were to weigh a bit more... you'd have to lean a little less to accomplish the turn. I believe this is right.

Thus, you're style of riding could never match your friends or other bikes because the parameters in the equilibrium equation wouldn't be the same. So, wehn you see Mr. Rossi/Hayden lean the fvck out of their bikes, consider the fact that they don't have the beer belly you do. :D

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
If all you think about when cruising nice twisty roads is that you have to lean more to get rid of your chicken strips or touch your knee down you've got issues. Whether I do or do not have chicken strips is irrelevant when compared to the enjoyment riding brings to my life.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
according to Keith it was IMPOSABLE to do more than make the bike wiggle and wobble when holding the frame mounted bars.
Not true, I've ridden the bike - you can steer it, albeit slowly, just by moving your body around (working the throttle helps too, you roll off as you turn and roll on as you stand up). In order to shift your body to the right, you have to push off the left peg - that little input is the same as countersteering, and initiates a turn to the right. It has nothing to do with the bars.

It's easy to steer a bicycle riding no-handed, and motorcycles work the same way. They're just much heavier, so they turn much more slowly because moving your body around has much less impact on where the center of mass is located. To turn more rapidly than a barge riding no-handed, you really have to throw your body around.

Sounds about right... but also, you're providing an acceleration toward the center of your turn radius, which equates to a force. Your tires get more grip due to the normal force that is generated to counter-act the inner acceleration/force.
Going faster through a turn, you do put more force on the tire directed into the ground - but that's just because you need exactly that much more force, because you're also putting more force on the tire directed to the outside of the turn. If you keep leaning over more and more, you don't get more grip (in the sense of having a surplus of traction) - if this were true, no one would ever lowside.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts