Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While i gather what they are and understand how they are created; for those that are not educated( i see this in alot of forums and i too once did not know what they were) maybe we could get some pics of chicken stripes?

Also, considering if your riding just on the road not the track at all, would anyone consider small chicken stripes as normal? i have smaller chicken stripes but i do not feel that i am an inexperienced rider by any means. I get down very low, perhaps we could get some insight on this subject? pics even?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
thisnjducquacks said:
While i gather what they are and understand how they are created; for those that are not educated( i see this in alot of forums and i too once did not know what they were) maybe we could get some pics of chicken stripes?

Also, considering if your riding just on the road not the track at all, would anyone consider small chicken stripes as normal? i have smaller chicken stripes but i do not feel that i am an inexperienced rider by any means. I get down very low, perhaps we could get some insight on this subject? pics even?
In the old forum this was discussed, chicken strips [not "stripes," as we are not concerned about chickens with stripes on their feathers:D ].

I went on record about 18 months ago that I am not at all concerned about the chicken strips. This is because, just as you say, if one is on the streets, a rider should not be leaning all that much into a turn. Even in the mountains, one should be riding cautiously around turns, not seeing how much of a lean one can achieve.

To me, the lack of chicken strips on a "city or road bike" indicates someone has been riding carelessly.

So I would not at all be concerned about it.

Here is the definition of chicken strips, for those of you who do not know what we are talking about.

A chicken strip is a sometimes derogatory term used to describe the width of unused tread on the tires of a motorcycle, typically a sport bike [e.g., 9XX].

At speed, a turning motorcycle leans. The faster the turn, the farther the motorcycle leans over. As the motorcycle leans, the contact area or patch on the tire moves farther to the side of the tire causing wear. The chicken strip is the amount of unused wear caused by a motorcyclist being considered too "chicken" to go faster through a turn and thereby lean the motorcycle farther over.

This is frequently used as a derogatory term. Hence chicken strips mark an inexperienced motorcyclist who is afraid to lean a motorcycle far enough to wear the edges of the tire.

Bonus Tip: If you are concerned and want to obtain maximum posing, buy some used tires on eBay, with wear on the sidewalls.

Additional Bonus Tip: It is highly recommended that you NOT use the grinding wheel on the tires [that is, the grinder/sander you used to wear down your knee pucks]. It's too difficult to get the wear pattern even.

The area in red here is the chicken strip:

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
RotoRooterGuy said:
if one is on the streets, a rider should not be leaning all that much into a turn. Even in the mountains, one should be riding cautiously around turns, not seeing how much of a lean one can achieve.
Why not?

I can get to my edges around non-blind corners without exceeding the speed-limit, so why not?

Tom

·
Registered
135 Posts
weird. i was about to create the same thread. i too am curious what other rider's rear tire looks like with data - bike, tire size, street only, rider level.

not that i have anything to prove, and i'm not going push it on the streets because i'm afraid of what others think, but i'm just curious if i'm on par or way off. even though i do feel like i'm representin' . :)

how chicken am i? attached is my rear. first 265 miles on my 2005 999. relatively new rider level. stock 190 pilot powers.

others?

Attachments

·
Registered
610 Posts
There is one more factor to consider when the subject of "being a chicken" is brought up...

the more the speed, yes the more of lean to achieve the desired result, ...

....But if you as a rider lean off the side of your bike into the turn (you know you try this all the time) there is less need for the bike to lean, hins big chicken!?!?

Yes it is true, and the less angle the bike is at the turn the more twist'n of the wrist you can achieve through and out of your turn!

Tips from Keith Code!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
st2lemans said:
Why not?

I can get to my edges around non-blind corners without exceeding the speed-limit, so why not?

Tom
My point is that one should ride without thinking about whether or not chicken strips will be thinning down.

If one's normal riding pattern/technique is to "get to the edges on corners," and one is doing so just as part of the ride, then sure, why not.

The kind of unsafe turns I am talking about is what I saw in the mountains here once. A guy leaning way too much into a blind curve on a single lane road [that is, one lane each direction]. It looked impressive and he had skill, but it was stupid for obvious reasons.

In other words, if one's safe riding style wears down the sides of the tire, fine, but the rider should not be getting caught up on the appearance of chicken strips and what his peers will think of him at the local coffee stop if they see strips.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Other factors too: Tire width, rim width. tire profile and pressure. I have had Bridgestones that were easy to wear to the edges and the current Diablos seem to be a little harder to get there.

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
st2lemans said:
Why not?

Tom
No problem until you low side, skid across the road and slam head on into a church bus. Just don't get off the bike and you will lean the bike more, but this will increase the chance of a low side. +1 on what Roto said.

Getting rid of the chicken strips is easy at the track, thats where it should happen.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
That's why I love spring, I can see around corners that will become blind (due to foliage) in a month or so.

And for unknown reasons, my ST2 has no chicken strips, and my SS (which does my favorite test loop in less time than my ST2) currently has 1/2" strips. (both bikes use the same size tires).

Also, higher pressure produce wider strips in my experience. Maybe I ride slower with higher pressures which gives the wider strips when doing so.

Tom

·
Registered
107 Posts
While having chicken strips may imply the bike is ridden conservatively, scrubbing the tread to the edge (no strips) does not require extreme riding, particularly for the rear tire. When I get new tires the first thing I do is head to a vacant parking lot where there are no oil stains/gravel and scrub them in. I don't want to be on unused/unscrubbed tread at speed. I can basically scrub the rear tire edge to edge (no strips) at speeds of 20mph just by riding in a circle at lean. Hard to completely scrub the front though. I feel better that they are broken in before I do much riding on them, though I don't know if they are truly that much safer than just riding as usual from new.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
John said:
No problem until you low side, skid across the road and slam head on into a church bus.
I know the bus schedules, and ride accordingly (really).

Also, there are no oncoming vehicle to hit head-on around non-blind corners.

And there are no church buses around here in any case.

Tom

·
Registered
107 Posts
The best kind of "Chicken Strips"

Hot and Crisp served by a young lass with a tight fitting tank top, in a cold bar.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Hit a lil bit o oil and down you go.

You better be wearing a suit and turning down a deserted corner.

That's one risk I'll pass on.

One day I'll get my bike on a track and by that day's end, I'll hopfully have a knee or two down and some nice tire marks to prove I did it. Till then, I'll have barbeque sauce with my chicken stripes please. :)

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
chimchim said:
While having chicken strips may imply the bike is ridden conservatively, scrubbing the tread to the edge (no strips) does not require extreme riding, particularly for the rear tire. When I get new tires the first thing I do is head to a vacant parking lot where there are no oil stains/gravel and scrub them in. I don't want to be on unused/unscrubbed tread at speed. I can basically scrub the rear tire edge to edge (no strips) at speeds of 20mph just by riding in a circle at lean. Hard to completely scrub the front though. I feel better that they are broken in before I do much riding on them, though I don't know if they are truly that much safer than just riding as usual from new.
Just roughing up the tire surface does not fully break in a tire. The tire has to be heat cycled as well to leach out any factory releasing lubricants that may be lurking just under the surface.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
chimchim said:
When I get new tires the first thing I do is head to a vacant parking lot where there are no oil stains/gravel and scrub them in. I don't want to be on unused/unscrubbed tread at speed. I can basically scrub the rear tire edge to edge (no strips) at speeds of 20mph just by riding in a circle at lean.
Or you can use a belt sander. :D

·
Registered
107 Posts
Turbo said:
Just roughing up the tire surface does not fully break in a tire. The tire has to be heat cycled as well to leach out any factory releasing lubricants that may be lurking just under the surface.
Thanks for the warning. I do still take it easy for the first 100 miles or so even with my ritualistic scrubbing.

I never thought of the belt sander Geospencer, hmmmm, maybe for those pesky front strips! ;)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Focus on riding and forget about foolish notions of machismo: chicken strips, getting a knee down - it's all noise.... learn how to ride and the rest of this stuff will follow along

Here are some chicken strips:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts