Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to pick up a 2015 SF 848 and I would like to get it tuned. Does anyone know of any Chicagoland shops which know their way around a SF? Thanks!

·
Registered
116 Posts
What kind of tune? I lived in Chicago and raced Ducati's. 100% my vote if you want it done right is go to Matt Carr at Ducati Indy. But MCC in Villa Park may be able to do an acceptable job. They got a dyno a few years ago. Never used them though. Always took my bikes to Matt. The local Ducati racers told me to stay away from MCC and use Matt. But that was back when MCC didn't have a dyno. ...And street bike tuning is a little easier than building a race engine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What kind of tune? I lived in Chicago and raced Ducati's. 100% my vote if you want it done right is go to Matt Carr at Ducati Indy. But MCC in Villa Park may be able to do an acceptable job. They got a dyno a few years ago. Never used them though. Always took my bikes to Matt. The local Ducati racers told me to stay away from MCC and use Matt. But that was back when MCC didn't have a dyno. ...And street bike tuning is a little easier than building a race engine.
I heard that the ducatis are too lean below 5000 rpm and need a tune to smooth out the powercurve. I was hoping to find a reputable shop and get a custom map built. I will definitely look into Ducati Indy. It'll be worth the trip from Chicago. Thanks for your input! If you have any other ideas of how to smooth out the power please feel free.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I heard that the ducatis are too lean below 5000 rpm and need a tune to smooth out the powercurve. I was hoping to find a reputable shop and get a custom map built. I will definitely look into Ducati Indy. It'll be worth the trip from Chicago. Thanks for your input! If you have any other ideas of how to smooth out the power please feel free.
Tons of info here...though most of it pertains to the 1098 Streetfighter.

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/138-st...ers-solutions-frequently-asked-questions.html

A fellow by the name of Doug Lofgren remapped my ecu for a very reasonable price, he would be my choice if you can locate him...Redline Performance is also an option, I had two remaps from them and they were better than stock, but couldn't match Doug in performance, price, or service.

·
Premium Member
3,138 Posts
I'm about to pick up a 2015 SF 848 and I would like to get it tuned. Does anyone know of any Chicagoland shops which know their way around a SF? Thanks!
Paul Bounds @ Phoenix Motorsports 8845 Sheridan Road, St. E, Kenosha, WI 53143 (224) 305-2340

Has a dyno, very well versed in Ducati's

Phone: (224) 305-2340

·
Registered
116 Posts
Doug is a top notch guy but all he's going to do is give you a pre done map. May work great may not... Unless you ship the bike to him for dyno tuning. And from my 20 years of Ducati experience do not go to a tuner that is familiar with Ducati but also does Jap stuff. Asking for trouble...

I know I look like a Ducati Indy nut rider here but this is a no brainer. Ducati Indy are a mornings drive away and there isn't anyone better close to you. Matt will dyno tune the bike and make it perfect. The next would be Boulder Motorsports in Colorado or Ducshop in Georgia.

All these guys build high level race bikes and get it right...

·
Bon Vivant
11,458 Posts
Doug is a top notch guy but all he's going to do is give you a pre done map. May work great may not... Unless you ship the bike to him for dyno tuning. And from my 20 years of Ducati experience do not go to a tuner that is familiar with Ducati but also does Jap stuff. Asking for trouble...

I know I look like a Ducati Indy nut rider here but this is a no brainer. Ducati Indy are a mornings drive away and there isn't anyone better close to you. Matt will dyno tune the bike and make it perfect. The next would be Boulder Motorsports in Colorado or Ducshop in Georgia.

All these guys build high level race bikes and get it right...

Actually I believe Doug is up around that area and if you go to him he will do a top notch job creating a custom tune - that is always his preference.

Building a race bike is completely different from building a street bike that is designed to operate perfectly at any speed or throttle position. Not saying your guys cant do that but race bike experience and race bike setup is not what you want for your daily rider. Race bikes make horrible streetbikes

·
Registered
116 Posts
Building a race bike is completely different from building a street bike that is designed to operate perfectly at any speed or throttle position. Not saying your guys cant do that but race bike experience and race bike setup is not what you want for your daily rider. Race bikes make horrible streetbikes
Not even sure how to respond to this comment... Completely zero real world logic here when talking about a tune.

A properly tuned bike is a properly tuned bike. Street or race. Actually race bike fueling is more critical than a street bike. The throttle MUST operate perfectly at ALL positions because you can't be on the side of the tire coming out of a corner and have a dead spot, stutter, or surge. On/off throttle is more important too when picking the throttle back up it needs to be precise and consistent every time.

Race bikes do make bad street bikes but not because how the bike is tuned. More because they are usually high strung motors and stiff suspension. Nothing to do with tuning a stock motor.

And all the guys I mentioned do tons of street stuff also... Just mentioned they build race bikes because in my experience those are the guys that know their stuff more so than an average street tuner.

Doug does race bikes too so according to flynbulldog don't use him either. But the guy knows his sh*t!

Go to him or Matt Carr.

Reactions: Kmysiak

·
Bon Vivant
11,458 Posts
I didn't say not to go to a race bike guy :crazy: but there's a world of difference between tuning a bike to run at steady rate (pick a point) and just running for perfect transition and WOT which most tuners start with and many end with once they get that dialed. I've had many long conversations with Doug, about the differences in tuning for a race bike and tuning for the street and according to hjim a street tune takes a lot more time and detail.

That would be like getting your suspension set up by a suspension tech at the track when you ride your bike 98% of time on the street! haha, who would do that?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Doug is at St. Boni Motorsports in St. Bonifacius, MN (Minneapolis suburb). He's tuned over half a dozen Ducatis for me and is doing a KTM SDGT and Yamaha OW01 right now for me.

In any case what you want is a tuner who can/will develop a tune to be directly flashed to the ecu as opposed to using a piggyback device like a Power Commander.

Bike needs to be freshly serviced or at a minimum have it's throttle bodies synched before tuning. Tuning a bike which is not in peak running condition is a waste of money. If you do this, when the bike gets serviced, it makes the tune sub optimal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Doug is at St. Boni Motorsports in St. Bonifacius, MN (Minneapolis suburb). He's tuned over half a dozen Ducatis for me and is doing a KTM SDGT and Yamaha OW01 right now for me.

In any case what you want is a tuner who can/will develop a tune to be directly flashed to the ecu as opposed to using a piggyback device like a Power Commander.

Bike needs to be freshly serviced or at a minimum have it's throttle bodies synched before tuning. Tuning a bike which is not in peak running condition is a waste of money. If you do this, when the bike gets serviced, it makes the tune sub optimal.
Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
212 Posts
+1 for Doug Lofgren

Doug has tuned all of our Ducati's and several more for friends. Top notch quality.

Uli-

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have 2 bikes that were both tuned at MCC and both run great. My $.02

·
Registered
116 Posts
I didn't say not to go to a race bike guy :crazy: but there's a world of difference between tuning a bike to run at steady rate (pick a point) and just running for perfect transition and WOT which most tuners start with and many end with once they get that dialed. I've had many long conversations with Doug, about the differences in tuning for a race bike and tuning for the street and according to hjim a street tune takes a lot more time and detail.

That would be like getting your suspension set up by a suspension tech at the track when you ride your bike 98% of time on the street! haha, who would do that?
My Apologies if I miss read your post. I find it very interesting what Doug said that street tuning is more involved. My experience is with Ducati Indy and Matt. Maybe other race tuners are lazy? I don't know how that makes sense that a street tune is more involved than a race bike. I know I want a perfect tune when on maintenance throttle going through the carousel at Road America!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts