Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is 15-minutes near the end of the Cherohala Skyway from this past Tuesday late afternoon right after the Dragon and following 10 hours riding from Wilmington, NC.

Quite rejuven-ile-ating, which I say because on reviewing the footage I realize that blasting into the one-teens (and a couple of times into the one-twenties) on a two lane 40mph-posted road is not very wise or mature. But it sure seemed right at the time. In my defense, I am neither wise nor mature and was riding a F#@%ING AWESOME BIKE. Someone recently stated that the multi can bring out the beast in us. So true.

The video also showed me why I have a Zoolander-esque directional preference due to the camber of the road, which feels like my friend on right hand sweepers and a potential foe when curving left, especially on those frequent damp areas of mountain runoff.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Great riding in that whole area. Maybe its me but all the roads around there are just a blast to ride on.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
Looks like you had the whole place to yourself! Definitely one of my favorite routes for miles and miles and miles of nice sweepers. Also, on any given day there is usually only one trooper patrolling the skyway on the NC side, and another on the TN side.

Last time I was there, our group had pulled off at one of the overlooks for stragglers, when we heard car tires screeching up the road a ways, and realized someone was headed our way at high speed. A few seconds later, the car comes around the curve and it's a trooper hauling ass. The moment he saw us, he slowed down, and drove by looking very sheepish. Gave us all a good chuckle. And since he was going in the opposite direction, we knew that we had clear sailing all the way to the TN line. It turned into one of the best high speed rides I'd had in a long time.

·
Super Moderator
5,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was fortunate to see no police or deer on this ride. The temp was mild, mid-60's at the start and finish, dropped into the low 50's at altitude. It was shot on my iPhone mounted in an Optrix case on the windscreen crossbar, too much vibration IMO but it's what I had. I'm interested in the new Contour camera for a helmet mount, it uses the iPhone as a viewfinder.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Also, on any given day there is usually only one trooper patrolling the skyway on the NC side...
... and he did not hesitate to issue me a driving award in October when I was there. Oh well, first in many years. It is a great area to ride!

·
Registered
392 Posts
I was in the area in October, spent a few nights in Asheville, rode some of the good roads off the BRP. On the way home riding east to west we hit the Cherohala on a Monday morning. Had to pass one car the entire length of the Skyway. Awesome!

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Did you call ahead and ask them to hold the traffic?

I knew this was one of those highways that seem to have no real reason to exist. So we are the real beneficiaries. Nice ride.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
For any of you that are riding on the Skyway - if you want to do a little off-pavement riding, there are some gravel and dirt Forest Service roads that start right at the NC end. They wind all the way into Tennessee. Have done them with a buddy of mine from Franklin, NC a couple of times - lots of fun!

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Congrats 'Dad' on getting south again. Nice footage from an iPhone - impressive !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts