Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How badly did i mess up, this was sitting in the tank lip part, i was stupid and disassembled the gas cap while it was still on the bike when i put it back together this was sitting there.

I looked in the manual but didn't find a tear down of it i THINK it goes to the lock cover thing but when i put it where i thought it went it's not smooth anymore. How badly did i mess up. where does the spring go and am i missing another piece or something?

It also doesnt close anymore but i think i can fix that

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I see the ball berring in the gas tank. FUCK
I guess i'm gonna have to trailer it home so i can pull the tank off or drain it and get out the ball.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I see the ball berring in the gas tank. FUCK
I guess i'm gonna have to trailer it home so i can pull the tank off or drain it and get out the ball.
Is the ball steel? If so get a mag on a extender at harbor freight of auto parts store. If it isn't a small 3 fingered pickup tool.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
How badly did i mess up, this was sitting in the tank lip part, i was stupid and disassembled the gas cap while it was still on the bike when i put it back together this was sitting there.

I looked in the manual but didn't find a tear down of it i THINK it goes to the lock cover thing but when i put it where i thought it went it's not smooth anymore. How badly did i mess up. where does the spring go and am i missing another piece or something?

It also doesnt close anymore but i think i can fix that
Rule 1 - photograph everything!

Rule 2 - when springs and little bits are involved, dismantle in a plastic bag or in a batch of paraffin, methylated spirits or even water so things don't go boing. I know this from experience with a Kawasaki gas cap!

It is a long time since I did the Kwaka cap, so this is from memory and I expect gas caps are pretty much the same inside.

The brass looking spring fits onto a tongue associated with the latch operated by the key.

The tiny spring - I think it goes on the right hand side of the key hole flap with the tiny ball bearing that is "lost in space" The spring goes into the hole near the small flap hinge pin with the ball on top of it. This ball runs in a track that has a "hole" at one end. When the flap is lifted up, the ball slots into the hole to keep the flap up.

Looks like you might have to go "fishing" with one of those things that looks like a manually extended car radio aerial with a magnet on the end along the tank seams. Other option is find a tiny ball bearing to replace it. The gauze should prevent it getting sucked up if it would ever get sucked up at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts