Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I hear airplanes
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came back from railing on the monster...front end felt terrible. Like there was no caster effect whatsoever. Bike wanted to start cornering without any input, and was very nervous.

Cause? Stem bearing/cap was ever so slightly loose. Tightened it up accordingly, problem gone.

Ive never had to do this before, any connection to the tapered bearings I'm now using?

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
I hear airplanes
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems to have done the trick, although my test ride was really short. Sinus cold/headache FML...

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
54 Posts
New head bearings will settle after a while & need readjusting - seems to be what has happened? :)
x2

proper adjustment for tapered bearings: strap frame up somewhere to get front wheel off the ground. tighten a little, check steering motion. you want zero resistance, but zero slack in the bearings. tighten a little, check steering. keep going a little at a time until you get a hair of resistance in the steering, then back it off to the setting you had right before you felt resistance. and check steering motion again.

too tight will actually make it even twitchier than too loose

·
I hear airplanes
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is how I originally set them up, and how I readjusted them this time. How often is it recommended you check them?

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Maybe they weren't seated all the way to begin with? When I put the tapered ones on my ST2, I made sure I seated the races in the frame, and then over-torqued the steering nut a bit initially. Then I backed off and set for zero resistance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts