Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Multi ST 15k miles. Performing rear hub maintenance, found sprocket side axle nut LOOSE?? lock pin in place. AFAIK: there has never been a wrench on that side, I do all my work and tire changes, the wheel side has always been tight, including the first tire change. Pulled the hub out and cleaned and greased shaft and bearing. No problems, all looks good. It will be checked periodically now. Anyone else had a loose sprocket nut?
Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
either someone's been effing with you, it's been loose all along... or something is broken in your hub.

On the plus side... don't think being little loose will hurt much

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
either someone's been effing with you, it's been loose all along... or something is broken in your hub.

On the plus side... don't think being little loose will hurt much
I bought it used about 3 years ago, only 3k miles on it. From an old guy like me. Still had the og tires. Still has the og chain and sprockets. It was a BIG surprise to find the nut loose. No damage, and the bike always rode good and tight and I feel no difference since tightening it up. It was not falling off loose, just when I put the socket on it I felt it turn, just hand tight with the clip in. No one else here to mess with it. Never been to a dealer or shop. I can only guess it was loose from the factory. Just glad I caught it when I did.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,635 Posts
Very common on ALL single sided swingarm bikes, you kind of said it yourself .

AFAIK: there has never been a wrench on that side, I do all my work
If you do all your own work and have never checked fastener torque on ALL available bolts I would expect a few to be loose. Not trying to sound like it is your fault but simply know that checking fasteners is a important task on vehicles.
Once upon a time that would have been checked at the 800-1000 mile service, but customers complained about service costs so that task was deleted.
Once upon a time that would have been checked at the 6500-7500 mile service, but customers complained about service costs so that task was deleted.
Once upon a time that would have been checked at the 15,000-18,000 mile service, but customers complained about service costs so they did their own work and some times missed the things that experienced mechanics new to be a problem.

I find a few sprocket side nuts loose a year and almost never the same bike twice because just like the wheel nut side if you check torque once or twice it is plenty. I find them while tech inspecting at the track AFTER SOMEONE SAFETY WIRED THE CLIP which just means they did not check it before wiring. lol found a few oil filters the same.

Anyway all is not lost this is a good lesson on maintenance, do it. No matter if you think it needs it, or some list tells you to check it. I highly recommend that any and every motorcycle you ever own you check every bolt that you can easily get a tool on shortly after break in and again at least every couple of years. It takes less time than getting your morning breakfast so really there is no reason not to. What I find is usually after you do it once or twice you will then never find any loose bolts as they have settled in and if they are loose you may have just caught something else failing.

Nice catch.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Safetywire any nut that can be done to, peace of mind!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Thankfully that axle nut has a retainer clip on it to avoid complete disaster. Once last season when I was washing my bike after a long (and aggressive) trip, while washing the rear wheel I noticed it actually wobbling back and forth a bit. I found I could turn the axle nut by hand! :oops: Super scary.

I think cause was that I thought the torque was excessive, so when I mounted the wheel the previous time and couldn’t quite align the little holes in the axle for the clip, I backed it off a little (which still seemed like a ton). Never again!

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
He's talking about the axle nut... it's got a locking pin so it doesn't move once it's pinned. I did have a wheel side nut loose once after I had a shop change the rear tire... all I can imagine is that sometimes when getting torqued the axle nuts hang up and APPEAR to torque properly... but they're actually somehow still loose. At the time I just assumed the mechanic forgot to tighten the nut but maybe it was something else.

Here are the bits we're talking about (I replaced the eccentric and got the axle and all the hardware when I bought the replacement used, these are the old ones which are still good but have some scrapes I didn't like from a quick change sprocket manufacturing error.

First is the eccentric and axle, the eccentric right bearing rests against a flange on the axle... it don't move.

Next is a washer... it rests against the left bearing on the right side and the sprocket/cush drive assy on the left.

Finally you have a thin washer and the axle nut. When assembled and pinned it's just not going to move, so if it's loose it was assembled that way OR something gave in the bearing assy (which seems unlikely to happen and not have a big affect on the bearing performance... which would definitely be noticeable).

As I said tho... if the nut is still pinned and the axle is not REALLY loose I don't think it will be a huge problem. Obviously not something you WANT to happen but as opposed to a loose wheel nut that can damage your wheel and axle... on this side it just allows the axle to move a bit on the spline.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
You're supposed to torque the nut with the wheel on the ground not on the stand, maybe that could be one of the possibilities the nut wasn't tight enough?
I remember safety wiring the clip so it wouldn't fly off but that's just me, i'm ocd when it comes to certain things

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I can only guess it was loose from the factory. Just glad I caught it when I did.
Cheers
It wouldn't be the first time something got missed from the factory and/or the dealer doing set-up.

However, it is the front sprocket nut that scares me the most because you can't see it under the stock cover. That nut has come loose on others here, including myself. It is for this reason that I have a see-through cover on it now and check it regularly.

I think the problem of loose nuts stems from the fact that it's a PITA to torque them correctly, especially if you are a shade tree mechanic like me. I don't remember my other bikes being as difficult to tighten up. (???)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ducvet makes some good points. If you find an old bike manual from the 70s/80s, there's usually a paragraph in the routine maintenance or riding section about giving the bike a quick once-over check before riding. If you started on Brits and early Italians then this made a lot of sense as things did come loose and required occasional re-tightening. There are many riders that have no natural mechanical aptitude or interest and this can be dangerous; everyone should know the basics; fluids, brakes, tires, chain.

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
Ducvet makes some good points. If you find an old bike manual from the 70s/80s, there's usually a paragraph in the routine maintenance or riding section about giving the bike a quick once-over check before riding. If you started on Brits and early Italians then this made a lot of sense as things did come loose and required occasional re-tightening. There are many riders that have no natural mechanical aptitude or interest and this can be dangerous; everyone should know the basics; fluids, brakes, tires, chain.
Even on modern Duc's there are things that loosen and fall off... but not generally the really important bits.

·
Registered
26 Posts
2013 Multi ST 15k miles. Performing rear hub maintenance, found sprocket side axle nut LOOSE?? lock pin in place. AFAIK: there has never been a wrench on that side, I do all my work and tire changes, the wheel side has always been tight, including the first tire change. Pulled the hub out and cleaned and greased shaft and bearing. No problems, all looks good. It will be checked periodically now. Anyone else had a loose sprocket nut?
Cheers
Good tip. I once found the same after a dealer mounted tires on my bike. I normally do that myself but they were selling tires for a good price with FREE install. Thanks, but no thanks next time.

·
Registered
141 Posts
A simple question! How many of you own a torque wrench? I've always done as much stuff as I can on my own trucks, cars and bikes so I have a big and small torque wrench, keep regular, routine torque settings handy (some in my head) and as gregcon57 notes above, I don't trust shops with wheels. They usually use their windy guns to remove and replace lug nuts, often over tightening. I like to think that motorcycle mechanics are a little better than this but based on the comments in this thread, maybe not.

·
Registered
131 Posts
snip
I like to think that motorcycle mechanics are a little better than this but based on the comments in this thread, maybe not.
Keep in mind that these are just anonymous comments feeding off previous , It actually has nothing to do with what goes on in the average motorcycle dealer shop

·
Registered
101 Posts
re: torque wrenches; I own three as well. 3/8, 1/2 and 3/4. All have regular calibration checks.
These are expensive, but necessary, tools if you do any kind of maintenance.
I’ve seen wheels fall off(and the consequent damage) installed by individuals who “knew” they were “tight”.
Check your manuals, lubricant (or the lack thereof!) is often overlooked, and will drastically impact actual fastener torque.

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
You can't work on this bike without a torque wrench (more than one really)... but proper torquing does not insure stuff isn't going to vibrate loose, because TID (this is Ducati). Torque wrench and Loctite used appropriately get you close... but I lost a center stand bolt that was properly applied and loctited so even that isn't full insurance. You'd have to wire lock every bolt to really be sure.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Kalyx makes an important point regarding lubricant use or not. This is why service manuals are important as they will state if an anti-seize is to be used or not and the appropriate wet or dry torque settings.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts