Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
I heard on Friday that it is rare, but not uncommon on a performance bike that the the centrifugal force "pulls" the innervalve and spring (especially an old one) back allowing air to pass through it and as such, the elbow valve is fitted to stop this as well as make filling up easier.. I found this hard to believe, but apparntly this is so as the source of the comment is extremely reputable. In addition, I use an ally valve cap that has a rubber seal in case the valve fails at least there is a cap that can limit air loss, although only to a degree. Sometimes and albeit mainly on offroad bikes, when the tire is inflated, a bit of grit gets into the valve and stops it from sealing properly, so I always check the valve after filling it with air by putting a bit of saliva onto the valve to see if it bubbles before putting the cap on..

In this case though, I'd imagine that some dumb-ass let the tire down.. What an ass as not only is this dangerous, but ended what could have been an enjoyable day out on the bike.. There really are some stupid folks around hey... Glad you got home safe though...

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.