Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I am apart of another forum,, which I post up alot on,
I made this thread called 'RACING SCHOOL'S'......
I am planning on going on a trip from Edmonton, Alberta Canada to Loudon NH to the penguin 2 day racing school. It is 4,600 km one way. I dont see a problem with my new Ducati being able to handle the trip.
Just read it and tell me if me your thoughts?
Some say it is a quote 'bonkers idea' but I dont. :mad:

http://www.sasksportbike.com/forum/index.php/topic,4385.0.html

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Im doing penguin may 12th...riding from nj to their track in new hampshire...but then again im usiing their bike...no way i wanna drop my duc lol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thisnjducquacks said:
Im doing penguin may 12th...riding from nj to their track in new hampshire...but then again im usiing their bike...no way i wanna drop my duc lol
cool im going june 12&13 th :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:abduct: sweet yea i may sign up for a few more, i wanna get liceansed so we'll see, depends on how much i like th school

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
if you plan on riding your duc there,i'd make an appointment with a massusse(?) when you arrive

·
Registered
401 Posts
Long a$$ ride for racing school.
The track surface at Laconia leaves much to be desired so be prepared.
You might also want to note that Laconia Bike week is June 10-18 and rooms are usually all booked within a 200 mile radius.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
smegtheprez said:
Long a$$ ride for racing school.
The track surface at Laconia leaves much to be desired so be prepared.
You might also want to note that Laconia Bike week is June 10-18 and rooms are usually all booked within a 200 mile radius.
oh thanx for that I'll make sure I book hotel soon as possible :D

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Note that the Penguin School rents out Ducati SSie's for their track days/schools at NHIS. I'd look into it - even if you do ride there.

God forbid if you have an incident at NHIS on your bike, how would you get back home?

FWIW, the Penguin track days/schools are not as regulated as other track days, because most are seeking to get their race license. Lots of "incidents". So be careful.

If you do go, try to get a room at the Red Roof Inn in Loudon (usually books up quick for trackdays). It's prolly the closest thing to the track.

Also visit the great people at BCM and enjoy some of the roads there.

·
Chilehead
6,986 Posts
Dragon_Lady said:
It is 4,600 km one way... Some say it is a quote 'bonkers idea'
I guess it depends if you like highway riding or not.

I hate it, so next week I'm going to take the car to Imola (for DRE racing course) rather than the bike, to avoid the 200 miles of basically straight highway. Even considered the train.

Tom

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
st2lemans said:
I hate it, so next week I'm going to take the car to Imola (for DRE racing course) rather than the bike, to avoid the 200 miles of basically straight highway. Even considered the train.

Tom
Have you taken that train before? SPECTACULAR ride!

·
Chilehead
6,986 Posts
MikeM said:
Have you taken that train before? SPECTACULAR ride!
What's spectacular about it? It's all flat, straight, and boring (which is why I don't want to take the bike).

Tom

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
My error. I was recalling a past ride from Zurich. I see you are in Lugano.

·
Chilehead
6,986 Posts
MikeM said:
My error. I was recalling a past ride from Zurich. I see you are in Lugano.
From Zurich to Lugano, you are quite correct, it's a very nice and picturesque ride, by bike, car, or train. Perhaps best by train, as you can see something other than asphalt (looking at the scenery while riding a bike is NOT recommended!). Once you hit the Italian border, it's like being in the midwest.

Tom

·
Registered
132 Posts
I read all the posts, here's what I think.
90% - good advice.
IMHO - the best one is, give yourself a day of rest before and after your *day*.
Go for it; be flexable (time wise), and most important, take lots of money! One way or an other it'll be the trip of your life time.....Good luck!

·
Registered
51 Posts
DL,

I've taken some long tours, though not yet on the Duc. But I never seem to cover as many miles per day as I thought I could. Give yourself extra time for the interesting places to stop, and weather related delays, and really-wanting-to-sleep-in-delays, because like Ted Simon said, "the interuptions are the journey!" I second the idea of having a rest day once you arrive before the track school. And take lots of pictures.

W.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Check out Learning Curves too.. they promote all over... and it's not that expensive... Im doing the one on May 6th at Blackhawk.

·
Registered
78 Posts
cool im going june 12&13 th
Sounds like a fun trip, although The Vintage Motorcycle Races are scheduled for June 11th & 12th at NHIS. Looks like Penguin is 13th and 14th. There is definately going to be some action around that area when you arrive. I try not to ride durring bike week (with the exception of going to the vintage races) due to the traffic. Plan on it taking a bit longer to get anywhere with all the bikes in the area.

I have taken some longer trips, but typicaly take back roads 10-12 hours a day, with plenty of stops along the way. A good 5-15 minute stretch can do wonders for your body and state of mind.

Just some thoughts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts