Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Confirmed Addict
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After some careful math....I figured out that I could put the Hyper on the rack. I could transport my bike to more scenic locations without battling the morons eating burritos and watching their iphone music videos on the busy freeways around me. And I could take the fam to whatever destination, earning plenty of points for ride time. Or drop it off for the suspension setup, allowing me to leave the thing for a couple of days at the shop. (I do most of my own maintenance, but I wanted to have someone dial in the suspension and address the "stuck in gear" situation. Mine got stuck once, and the factory now has a kit to put into the affected bikes)

So...after posting in another thread...I was looking at the versa-haul (too much $), the joehauler (too heavy and I could not figure out the web site). I finally decided on the moto-tote, which was supposed to be high tech, light, and cool-looking (worth some extra $). But after delays and a manufacturer switch from India to China...I bought a cheapo model off ebay, from discountramps.com, built in the USA. It was only $220, and it is working just fine, with no tax and $30 shipping. Info on the site is comprehensive, with animation of the loading procedure.
http://discountramps.com/smc-600-motorcycle-hauler.htm

The math:
Dry Hyper = 395lb, 2 gal of gas at 6 lbs/gal =12 lbs, rack itself is 85 lbs, oil and brake fluid= 1lb----493lbs.
The rack is rated for 600lb, while the hitch in my 2003 Expedition is rated for 500lb. I am cutting it close, but so far...so good.

I bought 4 soft ties (think figure 8 loops) to put around the bike's body parts, and then 4 tethers for the corners, with ratchets and hooks on both ends, rated for 800lb. One end goes to the eylet in the rack, the other one to the soft tie. I have extra straps for the rims, just in case...
Loading is best done with two persons, although one person could do it. Bike goes up the ramp, and then after the rocking cradle rotates....it is locked by the wheel chock bar, allowing you to put the tethers in.
The bike sways a bit, even with the suspension compressed by the tethers, but it is a tolerable range of motion.

here is a low res pic at dusk

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Hmmm. I understand the reasoning, but with that rack, you are more brave than I.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Nice...I get sketched out rollin' with my Hyper in the bed of my Tacoma - you must have a killer insurance policy!

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'd haul it that way with an actual joehauler but I'm not putting 15K on something made by the lowest bidder in China.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a similar one to carry my CR125 which utilizes an L-Arm on top to eliminate the tie downs. It is designed for one person loading, but I have not yet tested that theory.
Very cool to know you can carry a hyper on this type rack.

·
Premium Member
12,354 Posts
Emergency back up vehicle for when the old Ford dies on yuh:D NO just kidding really ..Yeah you are cutting it close on the weight . Should be ok with the built in saftey factor.
I can see some PMS influenced LEO questioning the licence plate visibility /or signals on some vehicles.
Very ingenious design . Do you trust it ? 100% 99% ?
Drive accordingly I guess.
Keep us posted after some more extensive testing .I like it...I've seen a motor cycle trailer at Costco made in Canada 14 feet long weighs under 300#for about $3000 Canadian with all the bells and whistles Stainless and aluminum , seems excessive but safe...Hope it works out.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Hey, I just noticed... I have those same mirrors!

·
Confirmed Addict
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
About 150 miles and two trips so far....no problems. All the other racks have the same limits, and very similar designs/construction. The one that I got is actually made in the USA.
I am also under the hitch limit, albeit by only 7 lbs, and way under the rack limit of 600lbs. I went with this solution after hearing about others using a rear-suspended rack.
It does look a little precarious, like it could not possibly work, but so does a 747-400...
I will post back, if it falls off....
:)

·
Confirmed Addict
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yep, got them from motostrano, $70 for the pair (Seca model). They are pretty small, but work well enough when I do not unfold the "stock ears".

Hey, I just noticed... I have those same mirrors!

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Yep, those are the ones. Best looking available IMHO if you don't want to take out a loan for Rizoma stuff.

You know, you'll probably be fine with that rack. I'm sure those weight ratings have to be on the fairly conservative side. Kinda makes me want another truck.

·
Registered
377 Posts
About 150 miles and two trips so far....no problems. All the other racks have the same limits, and very similar designs/construction. The one that I got is actually made in the USA.
I am also under the hitch limit, albeit by only 7 lbs, and way under the rack limit of 600lbs. I went with this solution after hearing about others using a rear-suspended rack.
It does look a little precarious, like it could not possibly work, but so does a 747-400...
I will post back, if it falls off....
:)
Well, after many engine changes on 747's, 767's and the like I can vouch for what you're saying. When you see how a bootstrap kit mounts up and how much preload and weight on 5/16" and 1/4" hardware you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I think your pretty safe. I have seen a lot of those running down the road over the last few years. Also lots of blue hairs carting their scooters around on the back of a Caddy too.

Remember, that system is working with your vehicles suspenson too. That is going to offset some of the stress on the unit. If you want to run some great shocks on that rig, try out some adjustable Rancho RS9000XLs. You can dial up some rebound just like on your bike and compensate for different loads or towing. I run them on my Duramax along with some Air Lift Super Duty airbags. I can roll down the road with 1000 lbs in the cab/bed and a 12,000lbs in my toyhauler (22K total) and ride smooth and level 75 mph down the highway. It's all about suspension load balancing, and good brakes when hauling/towing.

You can add some cheap stick on relfectors and a taillight that will plug into the rear outlet of your SUV fro not much $ at any auto store.

Out!

·
Premium Member
12,354 Posts
Just to be extra safe about the weight factor how about putting massive amounts of Carbon Fiber on the Hyper !! BRILLIANT!

·
Confirmed Addict
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I might call shift-tech and get that carbon tank cover, after all...I need something to offset weight of all the stickers. I have covered the rack with race and vendor stickers I scored at Munroe Motors in San Francisco. Two of them are reflectors.

And the wife's family wagon has a plastic skull (hitch insert), with eyes that glow when brakes are applied. I just need an extension wire and I can stick it into the end tube of the rack. This will take care of the curious Peace officer.

Funny thing, though...I can't see using the rack in the near future. I only have plans to take the bike out, sans rack. Last two breakfast sessions at Alice's restaurant were awesome. Tight twisties on the way in, and fast sweepers on the way back.... Climbing through the fog, and then getting the coffee and eggs benedict as rewards, not to mention checking out the other bikes there.....priceless.

Just to be extra safe about the weight factor how about putting massive amounts of Carbon Fiber on the Hyper !! BRILLIANT!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I would think you are pretty safe, but remember, that 500 lb hitch weight limit on your truck would be measured at where the hitch ball would be. The farther back from where the mythical hitch ball the weight is centered (maybe the rack is centered where the hitch ball would be?) you are making a moment arm that multiplies the effective weight on the hitch. Say the hitch ball would be 8 inches back from the end of the reciever, and say on your rack the weight is centered 16 inches back from the end of the reciever, then you would multiply the 493 lbs x 2 = 986 lbs. effective load. Of course if the rack is designed to be spot on over where the hitch ball would be you have no problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts