Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I just got my black streetfighter S last week and am in love!!!! So far the only issue I have had with the bike except for not wanting to spend time with my gf and ride instead, is the check engine light has come on 4 times already.

This seems to happen only after riding and then making short stops, such as to get gas. The first time it happened I was at the dealer, I ran inside to ask the front desk how to get back to service and when I came back out to ride my bike around to the service department the check engine light came on so I just turned the bike off and back on again and the light was gone. The other 3 times this happened it was a similar situation where I had to turn the bike off to pump gas or run into a friends house for a second to grab something and every time, all I had to do to get it to turn off was restart the bike.

I asked the service department about this and they said they couldn't find any error codes and they say they checked the bike over and reset a couple things but it continues to happen.

Has anyone had any similar issues or know of a way to get access to the actual error code it is throwing?

thx

·
Registered
267 Posts
I don't have a SF to confirm this works, but it does on the M1100:

The next time it happens and you're stopped or able to stop, shut the motor down with the red kill switch next to the throttle (do not turn off the key). The CEL should remain on and you should then be able to pull up the error code with the menu toggle switch on the left control. Push the toggle in the same direction to access the battery voltage, RPM, etc.. The error should be the first item displayed.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I will give that a try next time the light comes on and post here if it works.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK the light came back on today 3 times and the error code was exvl 23.2 which the manual says is the exhaust butterfly valve motor. I dont think this is a serious issue but will bring it to the tech's attention when I go in for my 600.

thx

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
OK the light came back on today 3 times and the error code was exvl 23.2 which the manual says is the exhaust butterfly valve motor. I dont think this is a serious issue but will bring it to the tech's attention when I go in for my 600.

thx
so try this,, next time when the bike has not had it's error code turn the bike off and do two things:
1, check the plug for the exhaust valve servo. It's under the seat and the plug is on the front lower side of the servo, the plug is kind of hard to reach but make sure it's together because if it's having a poor connection then it's possible that it would throw an error code for short times and then go away when it reconnects.
2, if the connection is good and the bike is still throwing a code,
try (once the bike is cool) unhooking the cable from the the valve on the muffler but don't remove the cable or anything,, just let it hang
I say do this because it will help you determine whether it's the valve itself (in the muffler) or whether it's the servo (electronic issue). if the code goes off once the cable is unhooked then it's probably the servo and it may have an electronic problem, if it doesn't go off after several days of riding, then it may be the valve in the muffler has problems (maybe is jamming or not opening all the way which might throw a code).

my guess from the intermittent nature of the problem is that it's electronic and it's slowly getting worse. BUT like you said it's not really a problem because the bike will still run fine without it,, you will just have to deal with the check engine light.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the other day, I brought the bike to get its 600 mile service and mentioned the check engine light to the duc tech and after a couple of hours on the phone with Ducati they came to the conclusion that I need a new ECU and that the current one is having issues communicating with the exhaust valve. I should have the new ECU in a week or so. I hope that resolves the issue.

·
Registered
113 Posts
So the other day, I brought the bike to get its 600 mile service and mentioned the check engine light to the duc tech and after a couple of hours on the phone with Ducati they came to the conclusion that I need a new ECU and that the current one is having issues communicating with the exhaust valve. I should have the new ECU in a week or so. I hope that resolves the issue.
Sorry I didn't search your posts, but do you have the same issues under 4k rpm? If so I am curious to see if a new ECU changes things.. If that's the case please post up in every applicable thread, so we can motion, or at least my lawyer can motion to get me a new ECU.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry I didn't search your posts, but do you have the same issues under 4k rpm? If so I am curious to see if a new ECU changes things.. If that's the case please post up in every applicable thread, so we can motion, or at least my lawyer can motion to get me a new ECU.
My Streetfighter S does have an issue with very low RPM's (2k-3k) in 1st & 2nd gear or anywhere under 20 mph or so. I'm not sure if this is the same issue that everyone else is having because my bike seems to run fine anywhere above 3k in 1st & 2nd and fine at all RPM's in all other gears but I will post if the bike runs better after I get a whole new ECU.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts