Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out riding today and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. About 40mins into the ride I noticed that the engine light is on but everything seems to be running fine. I pulled over and restarted the engine but it was still there. I continued on since the bike seems to be running ok. The light eventually turned itself off during the ride.... Anyone knows what could be the issue?

My battery connection is good coz I just tighten that up real good.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a very similar experience, the CEL turned on when I was 2hrs into a ride. Pulled over and restarted and everything cleared up...then it came on again 10 minutes later and continued to cycle on and off for the rest of my ride. Mechanically I didn't notice any issues with the bike (power, fueling etc).

Can you get the dash to throw an error code? It should store and report the fault if you cycle through the menu. Mine wasn't reporting at first but the problem persisted and then it finally told be I had a 38.0 error. I finally traced it to be a problem with the aftermarket rear signal lights I installed a few months earlier. I placed the stock signals back on the rear and haven't had an issue with the dash since (5,000km later).

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't know the menu would report the error. I'll have a look at that tomorrow morning to see if it gives me one. Thanks.

·
Sophomore Member
2,996 Posts
Just taking a stab at it, but I am guessing you were descending for a little bit. For some reason, using engine braking coming down a mountain seems to like to kick on the check engine light. I don't know why. Perhaps the O2 sensors are giving giving non-ideal numbers in the exhaust? Anyway, its not a problem. The light will go off and all will be well.

Either that or engine fell out of the bike. Did you notice a loud thunk and your bike seemed lighter? If not, probably the first.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I went out riding today and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. About 40mins into the ride I noticed that the engine light is on but everything seems to be running fine. I pulled over and restarted the engine but it was still there. I continued on since the bike seems to be running ok. The light eventually turned itself off during the ride.... Anyone knows what could be the issue?

My battery connection is good coz I just tighten that up real good.
next time it happens, toggle the left switch down once. A error code will appear. Proceed from there...

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
next time it happens, toggle the left switch down once. A error code will appear. Proceed from there...
I guess it didn't record anything coz I didn't see anything. There's a DDA though and it's off. That's not the function that records is it? I'll look it up on the manual. I hope it doesn't come up again. :)

I hope it's not related to me washing the bike coz my last ride before that got pretty muddy so I hosed it down. Then on my next ride my display had moisture right on the underside of the glass.

Thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I guess it didn't record anything coz I didn't see anything. There's a DDA though and it's off. That's not the function that records is it? I'll look it up on the manual. I hope it doesn't come up again. :)

I hope it's not related to me washing the bike coz my last ride before that got pretty muddy so I hosed it down. Then on my next ride my display had moisture right on the underside of the glass.

Thanks.
No...when the light comes on again. Pull over leave the bike running, put it in neutral and hit the toggle button down once. An error code will show whats wrong.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It might take a few attempts to show the code...for some reason mine wouldn't throw anything the first 10 times I saw the light, then it finally started to display the generic 38.0 error.

·
Registered
396 Posts
My light came on this weekend too, must be something in the air :confused:
We had been riding a few hours, then at a stop light noticed the light on, the temp gauge flashing and the the other displays blank. Restarted and it went away. Checked oil level and it was fine. Road the next day no lights, no problems.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Guys...the engine light comes on at 600 miles i think.....indicating the first service is due. The Ducati stealer turns it out after he is done. The light comes on again at 6,000 miles...again indicating that the Ducati stealer wants more of your money. After the service is performed...he turns the light off with the Ducati service tool.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Guys...the engine light comes on at 600 miles i think.....indicating the first service is due. The Ducati stealer turns it out after he is done. The light comes on again at 6,000 miles...again indicating that the Ducati stealer wants more of your money. After the service is performed...he turns the light off with the Ducati service tool.

That's not how it works.

A small wrench icon comes on at service intervals. The CEL comes on when there is an issue. They are two different things.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine didn't have anything else... Just the CEL only. I specifically looked for that wrench symbol actually coz I thought it might be a service reminder but of course that doesn't make too much sense either. Myb the 796s are communicating with each other somehow. :)

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I thought the 2nd service light (wrench) came on at 7500 miles for valve lash adjustment and belt inspection or replacement ?

·
Registered
396 Posts
I thought the 2nd service light (wrench) came on at 7500 miles for valve lash adjustment and belt inspection or replacement ?
Yep, right before 7500. I am approaching my next one at 15,000 already. :D:mad:

This past weekend mine was definitely the CEL light not the wrench service light.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Since you have after market pipes I would guess the CE light is due to running lean. Mine would do the same thing sometimes, no big deal really, but you could get a fatduc and richen up the fuel mixture, worked for me.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so i bought a can of dielectric (silicone) grease and i'm just thinking if i need to disconnect the neg or pos of the battery before doing this.... or do i just start unplugging connectors > greasing the male (or female) end > pluggin' it back in one after the other? i hear it's also good to apply some on the insulator part of the spark plugs?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had a very similar experience, the CEL turned on when I was 2hrs into a ride. Pulled over and restarted and everything cleared up...then it came on again 10 minutes later and continued to cycle on and off for the rest of my ride. Mechanically I didn't notice any issues with the bike (power, fueling etc).

Can you get the dash to throw an error code? It should store and report the fault if you cycle through the menu. Mine wasn't reporting at first but the problem persisted and then it finally told be I had a 38.0 error. I finally traced it to be a problem with the aftermarket rear signal lights I installed a few months earlier. I placed the stock signals back on the rear and haven't had an issue with the dash since (5,000km later).
How did you check on the display? I can’t seem to figure out how to get it to show the code. Just bought a 13 1199s and the check engine light popped up. Motorcycle can’t go past 5 or 6k rpm without it choking up or going crazy.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Similar situation for my 1100. The code was 11.2 for the coil on the vertical cylinder but the bike was running fine. It went out a couple of times and then came back on for months. I read that it can be a bit of corrosion on the plug to the coil. It was difficult to get at but I managed to unplug it and spray with contact cleaner. Made no difference. New battery , made no difference. I then left the bike sitting for over a month due to COVID and when I restarted ... no check engine light. Its been off for a week now. Probably come on tonight but I'm wondering if the spray did the trick but I was unable to reset the light. Letting the bike sit for a month caused it to time out or whatever.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts