Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had it for almost a year now, taken few trips to VT/ME and then a big one 2 weeks ago to Newfoundland, probably total 4,000 miles since I got it, long enough to wear out a set of tires, no issues other than some stuff coming loose, PO did some work on it...

Slapped brand new set of PR5's last week and went for a quick ride to NY, no problems on the way up, was checking my gas mileage and had GPS with odometer to also verify the dash odometer, got about 0.5% difference, lost 1 mile in 200...

On the way home took different route, some back roads, then quick blast on 17 at rapid pace trying to get through the pack of cars, that's when I noticed the yellow check engine light, it was on for 5 or 10 minutes then went out as I started slowing down. That was the only time I saw it.

About half hour later once I got on I-84 noticed speedometer going to 0 or shooting up to high 90's (at 75 mph) that went on for a bit then all back to normal, another 150 miles later it was still ok when I finally made it home. since I was using GPS was able to calculate that my odometer has lost 10 miles when the speedo was acting up.

Bike has been fine since (sitting in my garage) was gonna ride to FL next week but having second thoughts now...

Any ideas? Someone suggested charging issues, stator connector, etc.
I checked speed sensor and wires, all looks good, plug is clean and dry, have not looked at the stator plug yet...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Im having this same issue right now...

No Check Engine Light.

Its odd, when im riding straight, I get a 0MPH.

When i lean into a turn, the Speedo starts to work. When i have a passenger, the Speedo works. Wheni hit a bump, the speedo works..

So wierd, havnt had a chance to look into this more, but going to this weekend. All my cables look in tact as well.

Hope we find a solution!

·
Premium Member
4,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im having this same issue right now...

No Check Engine Light.

Its odd, when im riding straight, I get a 0MPH.

When i lean into a turn, the Speedo starts to work. When i have a passenger, the Speedo works. Wheni hit a bump, the speedo works..

So wierd, havnt had a chance to look into this more, but going to this weekend. All my cables look in tact as well.

Hope we find a solution!
Sounds like you have a damaged sensor wire where swingarm meets the frame, when cornering suspension compresses same as when you have a passenger and the only place the wire will flex is at that pivot point, just my guess...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Sounds like you have a damaged sensor wire where swingarm meets the frame, when cornering suspension compresses same as when you have a passenger and the only place the wire will flex is at that pivot point, just my guess...
Update. Went out for a ride and adjusted that speedo cable. it came bac to life but then cut out again.

Ordered a used cable off ebay, $45. replaced in 10 min. Good to go:smile2:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts