Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, because of the low cost I figured I would try these out. Got them in the other day but have not had time to get them on the bike until today. Only made a short test run but so far they feel sturdy, very grippy compared to stock, and pretty smooth. I am actually going to have to adapt to the rear brake difference due to the smoother action now. Pretty good quality fit and finish overall. Only a couple spacers that were missing and the main bolts to put the rearsets on the frame tabs were not included so those came from the hardware store. SS of course. All the rest of the included bolts were SS as well. Anodizing looks good. Other than the lack of inscribed nomenclature it would be hard to tell the difference between these and the Satos.

I will update this later after further use.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Other than the lack of inscribed nomenclature it would be hard to tell the difference between these and the Satos.
That's because they basically are Satos. Many of these Chinese manufacturers buy a product that another company has spent the time and money to research and design, be it rear sets, levers, stands, etc. Then, they just copy it with little regard for patent infringements. They are basically stealing a product, re-making it, and calling it their own. They are also stealing sales that should go to the rightful creator. What harm in that, you say? Well, when the legitimate companies go out of business and take all of their design experience with them, do you think the Chinese thieves are going to design quality stuff for new bikes?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Where did you get these?

What name are they sold under? I need a set pretty bad.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's because they basically are Satos. Many of these Chinese manufacturers buy a product that another company has spent the time and money to research and design, be it rear sets, levers, stands, etc. Then, they just copy it with little regard for patent infringements. They are basically stealing a product, re-making it, and calling it their own. They are also stealing sales that should go to the rightful creator. What harm in that, you say? Well, when the legitimate companies go out of business and take all of their design experience with them, do you think the Chinese thieves are going to design quality stuff for new bikes?
I understand what you are saying but there is a simple flaw in your statement that most people do not really know the truth behind. I worked in manufacturing for years. The products we made cost from $52-$87 for the company. They reminded us of that on a daily basis. This was total cost and was figured to account for R&D and breaking flat even selling at that price. These products were sold retail for $325 to $450. When a company thinks they have the corner on a market and begins raising prices to achieve exorbitant profit margins, consumers begins to look for other options. Would I have preferred to get the ACTUAL Satos? Yes. But as a husband and father of 4 I cannot justify $500+ for a product that I know did not cost them that much to make. I have had parts custom machined for me that were very complex and used materials which were more expensive than the Aluminum used in these. Never have I spent this much on having something machined as a one-off.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I saved an auction for those on my ebay watch list...and everytime I am tempted to pull the trigger I always remember people on forums downplaying them. Nice to get actual feedback about them. Looks great!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
+1 Agree with everything said here.

They may look like the Japanese Satos at quick glance but I can't imagine the quality being anything remotely close. On another motorcycle forum, there was a thread about shameless and dispicable POS Chinese ripoff of US and Canadian brands like CRG, Pazzos, and ASV levers. They all looked like a exact replica of the real McCoy but the color all faded in the sun and the black turned brown and the red turned pink in no time. :eek:

·
Registered
430 Posts
I was just about to mention the color fading. Be careful leaving them out in the sun. My set started black and ended up a copper/brown color. It actually looked good, but you may not like it. Quality wise, they work good enough and they crash well (ask me how I know). The bolt that holds the footpeg to the whole assembly is actually weaker than the rest of everything so under pressure they kinda are folding pegs, so no need to worry about your bike catching an edge after a crash and flipping as a result.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
I had some custom foot pegs made for my BCM rear set brackets. They copied the BCM foot peg but simply lengthened it and added some machining work for the peg itself and bolts. It was very expensive! However the guy explained ( Alan Brown, Brown Tool Co. Rosemont, NJ) that it's all in setting up the machine, measuring etc. Once that's done it's very inexpensive to do a run of that particular part. I agree that this knock off company is enjoying the fruit's of Sato's labor but there are a heck of a lot of owners who will buy the best..and most times your advertising costs drive up your product cost....saturation advertising. The Knock off company doesn't incur these.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
+1 Agree with everything said here.

They may look like the Japanese Satos at quick glance but I can't imagine the quality being anything remotely close. On another motorcycle forum, there was a thread about shameless and dispicable POS Chinese ripoff of US and Canadian brands like CRG, Pazzos, and ASV levers. They all looked like a exact replica of the real McCoy but the color all faded in the sun and the black turned brown and the red turned pink in no time. :eek:
interestingly enough there are forum supported sponsors whos products that do the same thing...kinda makes you think a little. But on the flip side with their customer relations those problems can be "corrected"

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Even the great Sato tells you that anodizing will change color with exposure over time, it's just the nature of it. They also do not refund for this problem.

Delivery time was about 3.5 weeks. The rearsets are actually quite sturdy and being an ex-mechanic I have put my hands on lots of aftermarket parts. I still have some more adjusting to do after last night's ride but they felt great. No flex when I put my weight on them 5'11" 225 lbs without gear. Very smooth, of course I have to be honest, while installing the rearsets I discovered that the shift linkage at the engine itself was loose and was causing some slop. Fixing this would have smoothed things out a good bit even staying with the stock stuff. I think I am going to move the pegs higher a bit as I have a long torso and shorter legs. Also need to mover the brake peg back towards my foot as only the tips of my toes are hitting it atm. The rear brake action is very smooth but my only complaint about fit is the linkage coming out of the master is larger than the part which it attaches to. This is the fault of the rearset company as the linkage rod is OEM. The rearset manufacturer should have made the attachment point slightly larger to reduce the amount of slop a bit more. It is almost non-existent but I know it is there.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,887 Posts
There Is a middle ground between Sato's and Chinese stolen knockoffs, you know. I use Woodcraft. Well made, reasonable money, durable, and individual replacement parts are available.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
There Is a middle ground between Sato's and Chinese stolen knockoffs, you know. I use Woodcraft. Well made, reasonable money, durable, and individual replacement parts are available.
They are nice, in fact I was looking into buying those and making adjustments for length....plus they have vast replacement parts ability. With regards to the anodizing, anodizing can change, just because it's Chinese doesn't mean it's cheap. IIRC the red anodizing on a MotoGuzzi model, can't recall the model, turned pink! Don't discount the Chinese....what it comes down to is cheap labor cost, virtually no advertising costs....and very, very smart entrepreneurs:)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Are they regular or GP shift pattern? Looking for regular shift in clear Chinese or something reasonable in price. The Chinese ones on EBay all seem to be GP style.

·
Registered
265 Posts
cyclecat rear sets
made in usa
parts can be bought
outstanding feel very grippie I have happy feet lol
love these
got mine at less than full price
would be very happy at full price
stock shift pattern and LOTS of adjustment
both sides

·
Premium Member
2,352 Posts
Ya know, Sato worked hard to develop and manufacture this kind of thing. Betcha also did not know that they have a very low profit margin, despite what was said above. Those guys are not running around in big Benz's or buying million dollar mansions. Then the Chinese come around an blatantly copy them and folks look at at stuff and through some strange logic feel that theft is fine as they are getting a deal. If one wants to continue the demise of manufacturing in places like the US and Japan, go for it as long as you are happy about getting a great deal. But as some have noted here, you may not be getting what you pay for. Wifey showed me some kids shoes she bought, Chinese ones at half the price of the Japanese ones, both looking like good products. Within two months the Chinese ones started to rip and wear on the uppers, and the Japanese ones have a little tear that does not go through to the foot despite over a year of wear and tear. Price should not determine everything.

·
Registered
159 Posts
cyclecat rear sets
made in usa
parts can be bought
outstanding feel very grippie I have happy feet lol
love these
got mine at less than full price
would be very happy at full price
stock shift pattern and LOTS of adjustment
both sides
I thought Cyclecat was no mas. Are they still available?

·
Registered
322 Posts
cycle cat one of my fav companys is back. they show a lot of the old stuff on their web site that is nla however

1 - 20 of 52 Posts