Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
That wasn’t going to happen, Davy ! I guess some people never look in a mirror.
I bought the book. I like the concept, but the diet involved is too extreme for me. I don’t even know what half that stuff was, but I know I’d have to buy it at the health food store.
None of it looks appetizing to me, it looks like what you get at a trendy restaurant with a snippy waiter. I’m going to read the book, but I’ll be making food choices I can deal with on a daily basis. I think it can be done. I’m losing about a pound a week. That would bring me down 12 pounds by the time the doctor sees me again. It’s a start.
If you’re serious about losing weight and improving your health you need to keep it simple. You’re not going on a diet, you’re making fundamental changes to your lifestyle.

Most diets are complicated and involve counting calories, carbs, grams of this and cups that - they’re near impossible to adhere to for any length of time.

First, find a form of exercise you can do on a near daily basis - I like cycling because I can do it anytime (I have an indoor trainer for bad weather days) and I can vary the length and intensity of the workouts depending upon how I feel. Maybe you prefer running or hiking or yoga - doesn’t really matter what it is, as long as you stick to it and work to improve your performance over time. Track your progress - there’s an app for it, no matter what type of exercise you go with.

And then there’s the food. Forget about counting grams and carbs etc. - just eat natural, whole, unprocessed foods. Vegetables, fruits, nuts, whole grains etc. that are as close to their natural state as possible. It’s not that hard - just stay away from pretty much anything that comes in a box. You can still eat meat, just make smarter choices. Try ground turkey instead of ground beef, chicken instead of steak, and throw in some fish here and there too. But limit your portions.You will get used to smaller portions after a while.

It takes some time and experimentation to figure out what you like but, you’ll be mighty surprised at how good real food actually tastes compared to the crap most people eat these days. Healthy recipes are easy to find online - try stuff out

Try not to over complicate things. Stay away from fast food, sugary drinks, and fatty meats. Exercise with varying intensity throughout the week and enjoy a day off here and there to let your body/muscles rest and recoup.

Make small goals to start and increase them over time - achieving and beating them becomes addictive after a while :)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Eliminate sugar from your diet, completely.....

Think you can? Nah, it's next to impossible, that stuff is in EVERYTHING! so.... cut it out where you can, soft drinks, or "soda" is the biggest culprit by far, "empty calories" they're called, they do nothing for you except add to your waist line, cut them out completely, go cold turkey on them and replace them with water. You will be amazed at how much better you feel for that change alone, if you drink that rubbish now....

Fruit is good for you, eat as much as you like, as often as you like, the sugar in that won't be enough to bother you and the other health benefits far outweigh the fructose content.

I have an issue where my body metabolises sugar and stores it, not sure what the medical term is but i did a test because no matter what i did i could not keep weight off, for me, all the exercise and good eating worked but it was being compromised with my abnormal storage of sugar, this led me to look long and hard at what i eat and drink and 1198SP has it right, keep your food intake as simple and as natural as possible, because anything processed has too much sugar in it....

·
Registered
364 Posts
Yeah, the sugar thing is true - that shit is in everything these days. And I have a sweet tooth from hell lol
I don't keep sugary anything in the house because I know if it's there, I'll eat it.

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Same here, and my wife keeps a snack basket full of goodpies for the great grand kids. I have learned not to touch it.
My low carb diet is resulting in about 1# / wk weight loss but even though I’ve only lost about 12# I can see it in the mirror. We eat a lot of turkey, chicken, and fish , and ham. Not that much red meat. My doctor once told me “ Eat Nothing White” . Simple but true. I eat almost no bread ( low carb tortillas instead) no potatoes, no rice ( cauliflower rice instead)
No beer or soda ( except diet tonic). Heavy whipping cream in my coffee ( no carbs)
No deserts ( 2 carb chocolate bars) Lots of salad and vegetables, but only the ones low in carbs. Nuts for a snack. Metamucil every morning ( swells in your gut, and reduces sugar absorption). I have one gin and tonic a day, at night. That way my body has all night to process it out of my system.
You guys are trying to lose weight, and that’s a side benefit for me. I’m trying to remove fat from my liver to help my body control blood sugar.
Exercise is what I need to add. I haven’t started that yet, but as soon as I’m done remodeling the parrots room I am going to start.

·
Registered
364 Posts
You guys are trying to lose weight, and that’s a side benefit for me. I’m trying to remove fat from my liver to help my body control blood sugar.
No, I'm not trying to lose weight, I'm fit as a horse. I shattered my leg in a skiing accident years ago and was basically stuck on the couch for 6 months living on pizza, Oxycontin, Cheeze Doodles and beer. I gained 50 lbs, my cholesterol and blood sugar shot through the roof and I looked and felt like total shit. Dr. warned me that I would go diabetic if I kept it up.

That's when I decided to make some fundamental changes. The low carb diet/Atkins etc. can be good for rapid weight loss but honestly, it's not a great long term solution as you severely limit your intake of valuable nutrients by eliminating natural carbs. Despite what you may have heard, natural carbs are not bad for you - legumes, grains, fruits, nuts, seeds etc. are all carbohydrates and they contain tons of nutrients your body needs. What the Doc meant when he said "Eat nothing white" was to stay away from refined carbohydrates such as processed sugar and white flour.

It's all good. I'm not a vegan or vegetarian by any stretch, I'm just sharing what worked for me.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I went from 85kg to 67kg within a year by eating with more thought, avoiding crap fast food and eliminating as much sugar from my diet as possible, after 4 months of that i had dropped a total of 2kg, i was exercising, eating much better yet i could not shake the weight. It was frustrating and depressing frankly, and at 5'3" i was at serious risk of dying too young. Thankfully my doctor sent me for a sugar test and armed with the knowledge that my body is prone to absorb and store sugar i started to go from eating with more thought to actively seeking out ingredients in what i was eating.....
The fact that food companies can get away with such clever advertising is a disgrace, and frankly, the only way to control your intake of sugar is to make everything from scratch, even a small tim of corn kernels i found was 42% sugar!....
Because we're guys the fat that kills is the fat around our middle, and it's well known that if we're carrying a spare tyre on the outside our organs are struggling with layers of fat inside, sure it's good to slim down and look healthier and feel better, but with every inch you lose on your waist you're also loosing it from all over as well as inside your body, and it's that fat that really matters!

Duc96cr, good luck mate, it's a struggle to stay motivated but once you make the lifestyle change and it's second nature, the work is done, the rest is inevitable.

I know i sound like a sugar Nazi, and i am, sure it gets a bad rap, and in moderation everything is ok supposedly, but it's evil, the companies who lace everything we consume with it don't give a fuck, they want profits and they know full well that we become addicted to sugar at a young age, subconsciously we're screwed from the start....
Put aside an extra hour when you do your grocery shopping, just to read the ingredient list, if you put down everything with sugar in it your cart would be about empty, it's really difficult to avoid but there are lower content options for most things you like that come in a box, or a can, or a jar, or a jug, or a bottle......

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I appreciate everyone’s input here. I have quite a list of what the dietician doesn’t want me to eat, and really, I’m able to stick with it pretty good. It was a holiday for us in the States Thursday and I had some pie and didn’t count my carbs that day, but I still lost 1/2# . I only weigh myself once a week. Christmas is inconveniently one week before my return for bloodwork and doctor visit.
Hopefully I’ve lowered my A1C by then, but the changed food habits are long term. I don’t regard this as being on a diet. I’m trying to work up an eating plan that I can live with long term.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts