Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a result of my lifetime of bodily abuse, I am now in a situation where I am forced to go on a diet. I am no longer borderline on my A1C, but firmly on the wrong side of the line . I have been given until the end of the year to bring it back down through diet, weight loss, and exercise. I know from my time on the forum that there are many others here with diabetes, so I thought I’d reach out for tips from those who have more experience. I saw a dietitian and I’m keeping away from carbs. This has resulted in me eating much more protein than I used to consume, along with certain allowable vegetables , berries, and nuts. I have reduced but not stopped my alcohol intake, but I’m going to have to delve into the low carb beer market. Any suggestions there ? I’m not a aficionado, or lover of heavy brews, so that should help. I prefer gin and (diet) tonic with Roses lime juice ( full of sugar). I am losing weight at a slow rate, 1 #/wk. but then, I’m not watching calories, per se.
Any guidance from those more experienced with the situation will be appreciated. If the thread gets a life maybe we can share some ideas. I’ve found a few low carb treats that are pretty darn good.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I need to lose at least 40 pounds myself. I'm 5'7" 225 pounds. I'm best at around 175/180 pounds. Unfortunately there's no easy way to get there. A disciplined diet, and daily exercise that gets your heart rate up at least three times per session. For instance, when I ride my bicycle, I get my heart rate up three times per ride .... I take it up .... then cruise a little to allow it to come down a bit ... then push again to bring it back up ... then cruise again .... then push once more to bring the heart rate up one last time .... then do a cool down run as I approach home. The whole thing takes about 45 minutes.

Watching WHEN you eat is really important. Eating a bunch of crappy calories (sugar, etc.) then going to bed is a horrible way to go about things. It all comes down to managing your life better.

Fortunately I'm all done with alcohol and recreational drugs (pot etc). Before I allowed myself to admit that PTSD was a real thing, and that I was suffering with a solid case of that shit, I spent years self medicating to cover up the pain. Once I realized what was going on, I got the proper kind of help (with the ceaseless support of my very loving and supportive wife) I learned that it was ok to admit that PTSD was real, and I had a Super Sized helping of it going on. I've since learned how to deal with it ... without the need for self medicating. Good thing too, since I got really tired of waking up hung over, and dealing with all of the other problems that behavior created. "Stacking shit on top of shit" was what I was doing back then.

I've not self medicated in over a decade. Sure, the horrible, bloody, gory, terrible combat nightmares still kick my ass from time to time. But I've been taught how to better deal with them. I've been taught how to recognize what triggers PTSD symptoms, and I've been taught how to more or less avoid those triggers, as well as how to better deal with the triggers if they happen to get the best of me.

My point is, I don't have to deal with alcohol when it comes to my weight. And that's a good thing. It's one less thing on the list that I have to reprogram out of my life to reduce my weight and keep it down. The reason I put on 40+ pounds over the last year is 100% due to a change in my pain meds. I CAN overcome this ... it's a matter of discipline and a will to do it.

🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 (y)

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
I feel your pain, I just spent over a year losing 35 pounds to get back down to my fighting weight. I feel better now at 175 (5'11") than I did 10 years ago when I was slinging freight on a loading dock. My secret was easy, "Eat less, move more".
Being married to a dietician helps. ;)
And my sister in law is a dietician specializing in diabetic counseling.
You can find all kinds of information on the 'net about managing your diet for diabetes, I won't bore you with the simple stuff.

Wifey likes Elle Krieger's recipes for eating healthy stuff that tastes good:

She's not on TV anymore, but she used to have shows on Food Network and also on PBS.

Good luck guys, it ain't easy, but it's worth it...

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
Good luck with your 'rejuvenation' project. I can't give you any suggestions. I need a few myself. As for beer, I'd give it up completely before I go 'lite' or 'low-carb'. Just can't go that low. All or nothing. I guess that would mean I'd be drinking only whiskeys.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys. This is a good start. I am committed to bringing down my A1C if it can be done with diet. I have an extreme case of anxiety towards needles, even the tiny insulin type. That translates to a person who will do anything to avoid an injection, even a diet. The dietician said to keep carbs below 150 per day, and I’m averaging about half that. My wife is like having my own dietician, she’s been watching carbs for years. The only diet I’ve ever been on is when I couldn’t move my jaw after surgery. I have known for a while this day was coming but I totally blew it off until I had no choice.

·
Registered
944 Posts
As for beer, I'd give it up completely before I go 'lite' or 'low-carb'. Just can't go that low. All or nothing. I guess that would mean I'd be drinking only whiskeys.
I'm in full agreement there. I don't think it means anyone has to give up beer completely. Just cut back and drink a beer once in a while.

I have an extreme case of anxiety towards needles, even the tiny insulin type. That translates to a person who will do anything to avoid an injection, even a diet.
What do you do for exercise? I'd recommend taking up something that gets your heart rate up and helps burn fat. I'm not saying take up long distance cycling or marathon running but something.

The best is a mix of resistance type training (weights or bands) and cardio. The theory being, increased lean muscle mass promotes more fat burning.

As far as diet goes, seems like you have most of that covered. The only thing I'd add is, carbs in and of themselves are not bad for you. How much you eat, and when you eat them is of greater consequence.

IE, a slice of pie before you head off to bed...probably not the best carb intake, at the worst possible time. Sugars and fats are the two major key things I'd avoid.

Not all fats are bad either. Avocado for instance is not an unhealthy fat source. Nuts of almost any kind are good too. Grated coconut I'd avoid, but pretty much any other is good.

Fried anything I'd avoid. Potatoes in particular. Home fries, french fries, potato chips. Those are just fat soaked carbs. Your body will burn the fat for energy first, then store the carbs as body fat.

Fruits are good too. A snack of melon medly is a good energy source and won't get your blood sugar all out of sorts. Melons are mostly water anyway. Oranges and grapefruit too.

If you can stomach it, celery is supposed to be a great snack because your body will burn more calories trying to digest it, than it gains from you eating it. It'll make you poo too, so you'd lose like 3 or 4 lbs just dropping a duece. :LOL:

Lastly, I don't know how much water you drink but increase that by quite a lot. I'm not an expert here, but many people simply don't intake enough water in a day. I'd say if you're not drinking a half gallon of water a day, increase your water intake until you do.

Water will help mobilize fat and also, if you drink 16 oz before every meal, you'll eat less. I learned that last bit in basic training. Mostly though, just be happy. Don't let the diet get you down. You can eat almost all what you ate before, just less of it, less often.....good luck man, I hope you succeed in your endeavor. Free carbon fiber is awesome indeed......sean

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
When I got put on opiates (10+ years ago) constipation became a serious issue. At the time I was also dealing with PTSD issues, which deeply complicated intestinal problems. Additionally, I was unaware that someone very close to me had been subjecting me to what is known as "narcissistic abuse" and had been for decades. The gaslighting really complicated the PTSD problems, which in turn complicated the intestinal problems, which were complicated by the introduction of opiate pain management. I was hospitalized for a week with what is known as an intestinal adhesion, before I was put on opiates, which shown a light on the intestinal problems, PTSD, narcissistic abuse, and so on.

Whew!

So ...... I began using psyllium husk (aka powdered Metamucil) to help with that. It took me about six months or more to discover what dosage I needed vs what dosage I could tolerate. For the last seven-odd years I've been on 3x the suggested adult dosage, taken immediately before a meal. After about six months of use, my cholesterol, body fat index, sheer body weight, dropped drastically (a good thing). Intestinal health and function increased exponentially as well. The psyllium husk powder is deeply effective. It literally forms a gel-like substance that encapsulates fat before it can be allowed to enter the body's system, and is eliminated (out it goes!) Same thing with various things that cause cholesterol to unsafely rise (it can even reduce cholesterol). Bowel movements become very quick, painless, and (if I can call it such) "clean".

The amount of "residue" left inside of your intestines is reduced to nearly zero. You can tell this when you perform personal hygiene after you've finished a bowel movement. There's nearly nothing left to clean up! Intestinal residue can cause serious intestinal problems as we age such as diverticulosis (which I was diagnosed with several years ago ... completely gone now), IBS, intestinal adhesions, and many other maladies.

So powdered Metamucil (aka powdered psyllium husk) is an excellent way to lose weight, reduce cholesterol, reduce body fat, improve intestinal health, improve bowel movements, and keeping your intestines (and your underwear) far cleaner.

And it's far less costly than throwing money at carbon fiber parts at your motorcycle!

* Narcissistic abuse is an extremely powerful form of emotional abuse. It's known to cause victims to commit suicide, ruin their lives, and never-endingly second guess everything about themselves and lose confidence and belief in one's self. It can rob a person of their potential success as well. It's nothing to laugh about, it is a form of emotional torture that is well known to various forms of espionage, military, and nation-states that wish to break a person's will. Unfortunately, it's also something that many bad parents/spouses use to control their offspring/partners, some employers use it to control employees, and sexual abusers to control their victims (Matt Lauer). There was even a movie made about it in the 1930s called "Gaslight". It's real. It's powerful. It's 100% incurable. And it can even be deadly if the abuser is what is known as a "malignant narcissist" ... which is someone willing to either kill or allow someone to die if it means avoiding humiliation of the narcissist. Just look at "Benghazi".

·
Super Moderator
4,669 Posts
I was/am in the same situation. I was WAY on the wrong side of the A1C threshold!!

Being in the field of biology, I know what the effects of insulin resistance and poor glucose control can be...you really do want to avoid them! So I figured I had to get may ass in gear and do something to correct the situation. My baseline weight for a number of years was 235 lbs on a heavy set 6'0" frame. My diet consisted mostly of "good food" as I stayed away from sweets and processed food. But, I loved my breads and beer and whisky. Exercise was pretty minimal...i did manage about 8-10K steps a day...but really, that just meant that I got up from my computer and walked around the building every hour. I'm have what is best described as an independent personality (confirmed by my doctor, wife, and family) and I don't take kindly to being "told" what to do. So...with the starting point described...here's what worked for me:

Step 1: Diet
Being "independent" and a scientist has led me done a path of animosity towards the snake-oil, cure-all, simple, make-the-author-rich, diets. Weight gain/loss is a simple equation...period. You need x number of calories to fuel your body. Consume more than x, your body stores the extra as fat and you gain weight. Consume less than x, your body needs more calories so it consumes fat and you lose weight. Simple!!! Simple but not easy!

For my personality, I have to go cold-turkey for a length of time to reset my system/mind. So I cut out as many simple carbs as I could...no breads, rice, pasta, potatoes (and other starchy veggies), and beer. I also cut way back on fats, I no longer buy butter for cooking (get some newfangled non-stick cookware...makes a big difference) and use just enough olive oil for heat transfer from the pan to the food. I also cut portion size a bit and substituted more veggies for starches.

Step 2: Exercise
Again, looking at the simple equation for weight loss...any additional exercise over normal activity will burn more calories. Any less, and you'll conserve. So after a couple weeks of changing the diet I added daily walks on the treadmill. No marathons, no running, no exertion to the point of screaming and pools of sweat...just an hour at a brisk walk. I hate exercise. Always have, always will. My treadmill is directly in front of a big TV. Find motivation any possible way!!!

Good fact to keep you motivated during exercise: the more "toned" your muscles are, the more efficient they become at burning sugars. So, in the case of type 2 diabetics, having more muscle mass will result in greater glycemic control. If you can tolerate adding some resistance training into your walking...all the better. Lift those weights (not the 12 oz kind).

Step 3: Attitude
For my situation I had to rationalize my decisions. Look, it took me a lifetime to reach this weight...it's not going to be gone in 4 weeks. I was loosing weight at about a pound a week or so. Then the body hit a plateau after about 15 lbs...stuck there for many weeks. I persevered, and eventually the body gave in and started another decline in weight...and another plateau. Again, I say to myself, it took a lifetime to gain...

Eating has always been a challenge...so many meetings at work with food, late nights from commuting that left us with little time to prepare food so we would go out. Once at the restaurant, I would think: "I want to get my monies worth...so..." Well, that attitude had to change. Suck it up, pay 10 bucks for a salad and slap on a piece of salmon or beef or chicken for an extra $6. Oh yeah, skip the beer...unsweetened iced tea is actually quite tasty. ;-)

Step 4: Enjoy the benefits
It's okay to celebrate your accomplishments. So far I've lost 35 pounds. My blood sugar is under control...I've even managed to reduce the dose of my oral medications. I may even be able to stop...but I'm not expecting that as an outcome. I've noticed that I sleep better and have fewer headaches. After a few months of adapting to the new eating pattern, I find that the food actually has more flavor. Stuff that I though was bland actually has taste! I haven't reached my target weight (185...I figure telling people I lost 50 lbs will give me a kick) yet, but when I do I plan on buying a new set of leathers!

All this comes with cost though. I went from an XL to an L prompting a change of clothing. Even my leathers and textiles don't fit any longer. I have to use suspenders to keep my riding pants up. This winter I will have to adjust the suspension to account for the change in weight. All costs that I'd gladly endure a 100 times over.

Good luck on your journey! It takes time, it may even be the hardest thing for you to do...but in the end it is worth every bit of sacrifice.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I new I’d get some good tips by posting here. For whatever reason, dietician has me focusing solely on keeping carbs below 150 gr a day. I’ve been tracking them well below that, but I know the diet I’m on now is not sustainable long term, like rest of my life. I’m also going to have to watch calories. I’m substituting foods low in carbs but not cutting enough calories because I’m eating more protein and fiber. One thing is helping; I’m not regarding this as a diet. It’s a lifestyle change that is non negotiable. My wife has a home gym ina spare bedroom, I guess I’m going to have to go in there (shudder) .

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
portion size and exercise...simple and yet it works
most people fall off the wagon because it's easy in the world of fast food and time pressure
just because food is healthy doesn't mean it has to taste like balls
the pay off is yeah, way cheaper than carbon. and, added bonus, you get to laugh at the fat bastards with a sport bike half way up their ass......

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah , just look at that fat ass in the window over the...Oh, wait, that’s a mirror !
The first thing off my list was fast food. Started doing Metamucil a couple days ago, it says on the container it reduces blood sugar (A1C?) but on the other hand, there’s 9gr carbs per dose.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Yeah , just look at that fat ass in the window over the...Oh, wait, that’s a mirror !
The first thing off my list was fast food. Started doing Metamucil a couple days ago, it says on the container it reduces blood sugar (A1C?) but on the other hand, there’s 9gr carbs per dose.
But on the other hand, if taken before a meal it expands in your stomach (quite a bit) and makes you feel full without actually taking in as much food.

Since you're on a serious A1C thing going on, maybe a discussion with your Dr. is in order regarding Metamucil. I'm just another talking monkey with a computer, I'd hate to think that my goofball advice caused problems with someone who has some potentially life affecting issues. Please discuss all of this with someone a hell of a lot smarter than I am.

~hugs~ .... :giggle:

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, if the Metamucil causes my A1C to go down, that’s great. The other reason for it though, is my change of diet has me eating more protein and is binding me up seriously. Gotta do something before I explode. Also disappointed that I lost no weight this week. I weigh myself every Sunday morning . I’m going to start counting calories along with carbs. My wife claimed I’d lose weight if I just counted carbs. So much for that theory.

·
Registered
944 Posts
added bonus, you get to laugh at the fat bastards with a sport bike half way up their ass......
HEY! HEY!....I resemble that remark...:giggle:
My wife claimed I’d lose weight if I just counted carbs. So much for that theory.
Carbs are not necessarily the issue. The quality of them is. Fresh fruit and vegetables are quality carbs. A Snickers on the other hand....

I'm not a fan of diets in general because I feel like a diet is temporary. A change in lifestyle is more or less, permanent.

That said, a large number of people around me are doing the Keto diet. Results are mixed, but most of the guys I know on it have either achieved their goal or are well on their way to it. Some, men and women included....not quite as successful. Gotta find what works for you.

Some, though not all are doing Keto in conjunction with intermittent fasting. Nothing special about that really. No food intake after 8 pm, something I've done for decades. The downside is, no food before 11 AM. Water only.

I can't say I can do that. My blood sugar drops and I don't function so well once it does. Everyone is different though, so do your research. See what will work for you. I'm sure I don't need to tell you, there is no magic elixir or pill. It takes work, dedication and consistency.

Strict adherence will get you started. Small victories. A pound here, a pound there is more realistic than 10lbs in a week. Once you start seeing the weight loss you want, you can reward yourself.

Take a day out of the week to celebrate. Save that beer you've been craving for your celebration day. Then get right back on the wagon. I'd say, being strict with your diet for more than a month or so, is a fools endeavor. Take those days to enjoy food and life.

You'll end up falling off the wagon if you don't, because you won't be able to stick strictly to a diet for more than that long. Not unless you have some unbelievable will power. Even then, you'll end up resenting the diet you're on. That also leads to falling off the wagon.

I think the term for that is yo-yo dieting. I've done diets. I don't do them anymore. I just eat in moderation. I have my binge days and then right back to just eating until I'm satisfied and no more. I'm down from 9 meals a day and 2-3 hours a night in the gym to 4 meals a day and 2 25 minute cardio blasts per day.

I dropped from 235 lbs down to 195. I'm back up to around 205, but I found, that's my happy weight. I can stay at or around 205 pretty effortlessly. I can get back down to 195 in a few weeks with some additional effort...but I'm pretty happy at 205....sean

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Metamucil...funny story. I travel, I get bound...so when visiting my daughter I packed it in my carry on....gets X Rayed at the airport' I say to the girl that's my Metamucil in there, she just smiles knowingly without opening my bag....
Two suggestions seeing as how I haven't resorted to that in a long while, lot's of water and plenty of fibre...beans are your new best friend. A complex carb like oatmeal is ok and also kills hunger for a long time, eat lots of small snacks instead of "the big feed"......
I dropped 40 pounds and no longer have to take the guys word on a shoe shine.
My epiphany came when my jeans wouldn't do up and I blamed the wife for shrinking them in the wash...3 years later, buck seventy and holding. BTW exercise is critical or your body will store fat thinking it's starving and lose muscle. Now turning 70 next month I could beat the shit out of my 55 year old self.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No beans, they’re high in carbs ( except green and wax beans). Everyone is in consensus about me having to exercise (except me). No, I know I have to but I haven’t started yet. I’m very active and do physical work every day, but not aerobic exercise. When I get to Florida I live on pavement and bicycle a lot. I will change that to every morning before it heats up. I will need to do something between now and January. Probably the exercise bike, that way I’ll be building my endurance for longer rides on a real bicycle.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I won’t be thinking of this as a diet. If I did that I wouldn’t be able to keep it up. This has to be a change in lifestyle. Even then, I’m not kidding myself, eventually I won’t be able to control my blood sugar level no matter what I eat or how much exercise I do. If I can put it off for a few years that would be great.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Some encouragement for you

"For individuals who have progressed to pre-diabetes, both the Finnish Prevention Study and the Diabetes Prevention Program showed conclusively that intensive lifestyle interventions decreased the overall risk of diabetes by 58%. Lifestyle interventions included a weight reduction of 5% or more, reduction of total fat intake to < 30% of total calories, and increased physical activity (≥ 4 hours/week). Even more encouraging is the report from the Finnish Prevention Study follow-up period averaging 7 years, in which the intervention group saw a 43% reduction in risk of diabetes."

1 - 20 of 50 Posts